PDA

View Full Version : How to build square post railing?

Jay Gamblin
01-30-2007, 7:50 PM
I plan to build porch railing for my log home. I want to use 4x6 for top rail and 4x6 for bottom rail and 2x2 for spindles. I've studied railing for most log homes but they use round material. They usually assemble them using mortise and tenon. I don't have a tenon cutter and not sure that would be the best look for squared material.

I need some suggestions for assembling the spindles between the top and bottom rails for a clean look. I thought about using finish nails to tack them in place but I'm afraid they will rust and also afraid it won't be strong enough to prevent the spindles from twisting as they continue to dry.

Someone suggested to place a 2x2 or 2x1 horizontally on either side of the spindles but I was looking for a cleaner look.

Any secrets of the trade anyone can offer?

Jim Becker
01-30-2007, 8:45 PM
4x6 for your top and bottom rails is going to be, umm..."Stout". (Does that fit things proportionally?) For your spindles, you can route a 1/2" or 3/8" deep groove down the middle of the rails the width of your spindles and put filler material between them to hold them in place. An outdoor friendly glue, such as a poly glue ("Gorilla" or similar) will work just fine.

Ben Grunow
01-30-2007, 9:33 PM
I usually install 2x2s between 2 strips of 1 1/2" x 3/4" material with screws into the end grain. Then the bottom "rail" is installed and the spindle assembly can be set on top and screwed or nailed with finish nails (stainless are available) and the top rail set on that. Use toenail screws from below to hold rail sections.

I think a M&T joint would be better for 4x6 members in your case though. That is BIG.

Hope this helps.

Steve Clardy
01-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Do not mortise, route your bottom rail to capture the balistors.
Water will get trapped in there and rot everything out.
Best to make two bottom rails, with balistors between. Leave the bottom open

glenn bradley
01-31-2007, 12:12 AM
I'm with Steve Clardy on this one. If it's outdoors, and its not a boat, drainage is your friend. ;-)

Jay Gamblin
02-06-2007, 9:49 PM
Great ideas guys!

Jim, I had not thought about routing out and then using a filler between the spindles. That look is exactly what I was going for. Except as Steve pointed out it might not be the best solution for the bottom rail if it will collect water and rot. Hmmm. Decisions decisions. I guess I could drill holes ever so often for drainage. Over time I wouldn't notice them over all the freakin carpenter bee holes anyways.:( (got a solution for that?)

And as you can tell from the attached picture, anything less than a 4x6 would look wimpy for this porch.

Thanks guys!

Joe Chritz
02-06-2007, 11:43 PM
Not sure if this is similar to the design you were looking for but I used 2x2 material horizontal on top and bottom with vertical 2x2 between. Mine is then attached to 2x4 top and bottom rails but it could be attached to 4x6 just as easy.

I also allowed me to do a fan pattern on the front porch that looks really nice.

Joe

Dave Falkenstein
02-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Our cabin is similar to yours, except that the deck is bigger on ours. The railing on our cabin uses 6X6 posts, 2X4 top and bottom rails set vertically, 2X6 cap and 2X2 pickets (balusters). That design has plenty of mass - not the least bit wimpy. I would not want to pay for 4X6 material for a railing!!! I think you will find 4X6 rails too big, IMHO. I have seen some decks built with 2X6 rails, and I think they look out of proportion.

Dave Richards
02-07-2007, 6:56 AM
How about a cable rail instead of the vertical spindles? No mortises. No spindles to finish. Nothing to block your view when you're sitting on the porch.

Jules Dominguez
02-08-2007, 12:51 AM
A simple and effective way to attach the vertical members to the top rails is to cut a 1/4" deep dado into the underside of the top rails and pre-drill and nail through the rails into the verticals with 3" galvanized finishing nails, set slightly, with the depressions filled with an appropriate material.
The bottom rails can be left plain and attached to the verticals with decking screws up through the bottom of the rails into the verticals.
No place for water to stand and no corrosion with galvanized nails and decking screws.

Kelly C. Hanna
02-08-2007, 8:31 AM
You beat me to it Steve!