PDA

View Full Version : And as if there wasn't enough cyclone discussion....

Drew Thompson
01-30-2007, 6:28 PM
But i have a slightly different take on the question.

I *know* I want to get a cyclone... but i live in Canada.

Grizzly ships nothing to Canada. Jet doesn't deal in Canada anymore. Oneida-air will ship, but the brokerage fees almost killed me and my dog when I got a quote. (I fell, I landed on the dog.) There's a Canadian Oneida-air reseller, but nowhere near me, and the markup is obscene before I count shipping.....

Busy Bee tools sells a cyclone - an agri-based model, though, with few current features. Delta doesn't sell theirs in Canada and it looks like the BusyBee one anyhow.

Does anyone know, or has anyone else shipped something different in to Canada? I'd have preferred the grizzly G0440 , but nothing comparable is available in Canada, and the border isn't that close to just pop across with a DC.......

:)

fire when ready....

Ken Deckelman
01-30-2007, 6:34 PM
I think Ed at ClearVue will ship to Canada...
http://clearvuecyclones.com/

I've had one for a year now, and could not be happier with it.

Doug Shepard
01-30-2007, 6:37 PM
First - welcome to SMC.
I'm still working on my ClearVue installation and checked their site to see if they shipped to Canada. I didn't see anything specific one way or another until I spotted this on their home page: We now have Clear Vue Cyclones in England, Malaysia, Italy, Australia, Canada, Mexico and in almost every state in the USA. so I'm assuming they'll ship to Canada.
I'd check with Ed @ CV to see what the shipping costs are. He's great to work with.

http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/index.htm

Russ Massery
01-30-2007, 6:40 PM
Same here, It replaced a very disappointing Onieda unit. I'm very pleased with the Clearvue.;)

Al Killian
01-30-2007, 6:46 PM
Instead of spending all that money, build one. It will save you money. Have a local sheet metal place bend up the metal and be on your way.:D

CPeter James
01-30-2007, 7:11 PM
I have an Oneida and am very happy with it, but I have had it a long time and back then there was basically a choice of one brand.

Study the drawings and find a local, small sheet metal shop and have them bend and roll up the material. This is not rocket science.

CPeter

Art Mulder
01-30-2007, 7:32 PM

Grizzly ships nothing to Canada. Jet doesn't deal in Canada anymore. Oneida-air will ship, but the brokerage fees almost killed me and my dog when I got a quote. (I fell, I landed on the dog.) There's a Canadian Oneida-air reseller, but nowhere near me, and the markup is obscene before I count shipping.....

Drew, I suggest you also check on one of the Canadian forums: canadianwoodworking.org, (http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/forum/) or canadianhomeworkshop's forum (http://www.workshopbuzz.com/forum/) , or phoenixwood.ca ... there are folks there who have ordered Oneida's through welbeck sawmill (agree that it is way up in nowhere, but they do deliver), or driven across the border for one. I know I've read of a fellow who sprung for the Clearvue, and I also know of a guy who built his own very quickly by (a) having a sheet metal shop do most of the bending and (b) buying some air-powered sheers that made the cutting a breeze. But then You still need to deal with the blower.

Oh I remember at one point checking with PSI (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/cyac.html) in the states and they had a distributor in Toronto -- I forget the name, so if you are interested in the PSI cyclone you could ask them for that information.

Best,
...art

Jim Becker
01-30-2007, 8:52 PM
Oneida has a distributor in Canada...Art mentioned it in his post. Welbeck. I believe that Andy London who lives in Halifax had his delivered to a US location and picked it up by driving over the border himself. You can PM to ask if my memory is accurate.

Richard Danckaert
01-30-2007, 9:25 PM
Good Evening Drew,

I have the Clear Vue.Very happy with it .Ed is a great guy to deal with.Possibly the best bang for your buck for a cyclone right now.Ed does ship to Canada.Can't comment on the Oneida performance wise.Talked with them before I bought the Clear Vue.Seemed like knowledgeable people there.

Rich

Greg Funk
01-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Drew,

How close are you to the border? I am fortunate and live within a 7-iron from the border but if you are even within a couple hours drive it isn't too difficult to have items shipped to a freight forwarder and then you can bring it in yourself.

Greg

Ken Milhinch
01-30-2007, 11:25 PM
Why wouldn't you make one yourself ? It's slightly tricky, but very satisfying.

Doug Kerley
01-31-2007, 4:09 AM
Hi Drew,

My names Doug and I am new to the post. Regarding an Oneida in Canada, I am in the process (ducting design stage) of having the 3Hp Oneida shipped from Welbeck to Whitehorse, Yukon. After comparing the shipping cots from NY vs. ON, Customs Brokerage and the exchange, I thought that Welbeck was/is offering a fair deal. I have been dealing with Gary and he is very helpful. Good Luck.

Busy Bee tools sells a cyclone - an agri-based model, though, with few current features. Delta doesn't sell theirs in Canada and it looks like the BusyBee one anyhow.

Does anyone know, or has anyone else shipped something different in to Canada? I'd have preferred the grizzly G0440 , but nothing comparable is available in Canada, and the border isn't that close to just pop across with a DC.......

:)

fire when ready....

Bryan Cowing
01-31-2007, 6:03 AM
I also know of a guy who built his own very quickly by (a) having a sheet metal shop do most of the bending and (b) buying some air-powered sheers that made the cutting a breeze.
Best,
...art
Gee ! I wonder who that would be! :D

Adam Grills
01-31-2007, 8:42 AM
Go for the Clear Vue! Ed there is awsome to deal with. I have mine up and running in the shop you can see some of my pictures on Clearvues gallery (Grillzy). I did more research on cyclones than I did searching for my wife (Not really, but close). Welbeck prices are outragous. Clear vue is better than a Oneida anyway in my opinion. If you are close to me you are welcome to come over and see the Clear Vue. I am in Madoc, Ontario. The gas is cheep compared to the money you will be spending on a dust collection system. You should read through my Thread here under "Clear Vue" I also have one on Canadian woodworking forum on this same topic- This is not new it has been covered. I and others have already done the reseach you just have to pic one that suits your needs. You are more than welcome to contact me with any questions I would be glad to help.
Adam

Art Mulder
01-31-2007, 10:01 AM
Gee ! I wonder who that would be! :D

Bryan, I forgot that you're over here!

You have one of the quickest/most-painles Pentz-style cyclone builds that I've read about. Why don't you post the photos + story from your DC build over here on SMC. I tried to send someone to the thread on the CWW site a while back, but I either couldn't find some of the story, or it had been lost when the forum last converted their software.

Rod Sheridan
01-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Hi Doug, I bought an Oneida from Wellbeck several years ago, fantastic people to deal with.

I live in Toronto so I just drove up to pick it up.

I have to admit that I always promote Wellbeck, as they have better prices than I can obtain in Toronto, and their service is without a doubt, the best I have received anywhere.....Regards, Rod.

Guy Boulianne
01-31-2007, 12:19 PM
Hi.

When I checked it just over a year ago with Clear Vue and Oneida I finnally decided to go with Oneida. There is one point to consider with the ClearVue that pushed me on Oneida side, the CSA approval on the motor.....

The motor Clear Vue can sell you for a really good deal is the one labelled and sold in the US, the point is that this same motor He has does not have the CSA approval label (code required here).... The same Leeson motor sold this side of the border does have the label, but at the retail price it is about twice the price putting the deal quite a bit higher (and you need a starter that is not given either)..... So the choice would have to go for a cheaper motor and as I am no expert, was not sure it would hold up well at the task as the dealer is questionning himself to use a compressor duty motor to turn a DC impeller, ans the warranty could be a problem as the motor is not use for its intended use.... All of it bothered me quite a bit. I have to say Ed at Clear Vue has been real good to answer my questions and suggesting solutions.

True the shipping and Brokerage is not cheap to have a Gorilla shipped.... but I believe the shipping of the Clear Vue to Canada is not free anymore either..... I paid over 275$ USD to have my Gorilla shipped to Québec city.

When you consider the whole projet cost, that means including all the ducting, this overhead becomes less important that is appears initially. I am not disciplined about registering the expenses but I believe I have put as much money for ducting as for the Cyclone, I could not find any chap source of ducting around here either..... and McMAster Carr does not ship this kind of items to Canada anymore.....

So..... If you dont want to build it yourself as suggested by some others.... you will have to pay..... and this is true for the other tools as well, we are not able to take advantage of the US market..... It is sad to say but It becomes useless to compare....

Guy