PDA

View Full Version : cocobolo protection

Benjamin Dahl
01-30-2007, 6:23 PM
I have been reading on here about how some people are allergic to cocobolo and how it is also a sensitizer. So far I have not had any problems but don't want them either. for protection I have been using a respirator, safety glasses, long sleeve shirts. I want to turn some pens and have a couple of nice pieces of lumber that I want to cut into blanks. Should I take other precautions, i.e. gloves? I generally like to keep my hands naked unless using a chain saw but would like to hear any opinions on this.
Thanks,
Ben

Jason Slutsky
01-30-2007, 6:44 PM
I can't offer much on what you should do to protect yourself Ben but I've been turning a cocobolo bowl blank for a couple days and have no ill effects. I think that you should at the very least use some kind of filtration mask to protect yourself from dust as you wood when turning any wood.

I knew going in that cocobolo may harm me but I figured I'd try it out. I worked bare handed and had no effects after day one. Short sleeves and no effects after day two. (Of course respirator and safety glasses that I normally wear).

I think that if it were going to hit me, it would have hit by now.

There's a ton of info on the Creek if you search for cocobolo. I'm starting to wonder if I should have even chanced it but the wood looks so beautiful when finished.

Ralph Dobbertin
01-30-2007, 6:48 PM
I think it is like poison ivy...you are either allergic or not. Apparently some people get blisters just like poison ivy. I am allergic to poison ivy but have had no ill effects even without a dust mask, to cocobolo. Nonetheless I now where a dust mask all the time.

Benjamin Dahl
01-30-2007, 7:18 PM
Jason and Ralph, thanks. I was thinking that it might be that you are or your not but some of the postings on here scared me with stories of emergency room visits and the like. I have not had any problems to date handling it so will continue and see what happens.
Ben

Jason Slutsky
01-30-2007, 7:46 PM
Ben,

Read this thread for lots more info on wood allergies.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48943

Benjamin Dahl
01-30-2007, 8:16 PM
thanks Jason, I saw that and it is one of the posts that scared me, especially the quote, "There are two kinds of people in this world. Those that are allergic to cocobolo and those that will be". in any case, I guess the main idea is to protect our lungs and see if the skin reacts in any way.

Roger Bell
01-31-2007, 1:32 AM
We had an interesting presentation at our Club a couple of weeks ago by a toxicologist/woodturner...who agrees that if you are not sensitive, it is just a matter of time and exposure before you likely will be, provided you continue to expose yourself. He went into a long scientific presentation about sensitization at the cellular level. After the science, what I got out it was a common-sense recommendation to minimize the amount of exposure by utilizing sensible protective measures.

Besides the obvious personal protection gear (approved mask, glasses, effective dust extraction, etc.), he recommended long sleeves or turning smock (washed frequently). Changing clothes after exposure. Showering and washing hair after exposure. That precludes spreading the irritant dust around to the house, rugs, the bed sheets, the pillow, etc. These are all easy things to do.

Jason Slutsky
01-31-2007, 6:19 AM
I just read this thread on the AAW forum...

Link to the AAW Forum removed. Sorry

I think I'm going to shelf my piece of cocobolo and try to forget about it. Too bad because it's really a beautiful piece of wood but I feel like I'm inviting trouble by turning it.