PDA

View Full Version : Curved Stairs - Help!

Matt Reeves
01-30-2007, 3:24 PM
I am a newbie posting to the forum although I have lurked here for quite some time. I apologize that my first post is really a tough one, but here goes anyway.

Does anyone know of some good literature for building curved stairs? OK, I know most of you will say to buy a manufactured staircase and even have it installed by the manufacturer. However, in the last 30 years, I have built numerous homes, tackled difficult millwork installations (including just about every other stair type imaginable) and I am up for this challenge.

This set of stairs will be replacing an existing set of stairs in my home that I am remodeling. I am not scared of taking on this project (a fool maybe), I am not bound by time constraints (except my wife) or budget (within reason). I don’t necessarily need step-by-step instructions (although that would be great), but I would like some helpful hints in order to avoid needless trial and error.

My ultimate goal is to build something on the order of what Richard Wolf shared with us in January of 2005. Roughly 90 degree turn, freestanding on one side, etc. That staircase is really awesome, BTW.

If anyone has the name of publications or other resources that can be shared, please let me know.

Regards,
Matt

Don Bullock
01-30-2007, 3:45 PM
A recent show of This Old House had a curved staircase that they did in a row house in Washington, DC. In fact I saw the last episode last night. I'm not sure how much they showed on building the stairs, but I did see how they made the handrail. Here's the link: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tvprograms/houseproject/overview/0,16542,1142371,00.html

Dan Oliphant
01-30-2007, 3:52 PM
Matt, there are two pro staircase builders on this site, Richard Wolf, and Steve Clardy. Send them an email, bet they would have the best input available.

Richard Wolf
01-30-2007, 4:27 PM
Matt, you don't say where you live, I will assume it is not in my immediate area, so I will help you.
There is almost no published information that will lead you to build a curved staircase. If you understand the math involved in straight stairs, rise and run, you may be able to tackle a curved set.
Here are some points to keep in mind;
1) Make sure the pitch of the stairs remains constant at the railing line, or you will have a headache when it comes time to do the rail.
2)Lay plywood down on the floor and do a full size layout in place.
3)Don't get the inside radius to tight, and there is a minimum tread width to meet code.

To make the stringers, they will have to be laminated. I really like to use plywood. 1/4", or 3/8", or 3/8" bending ply. The problem is your outside stringer will be reaching lenghts of 20' or longer. You must scarf joint the ply to make it that long.
For outside stringer, you may be able to clamp it to the wall to laminate, the inside one you will have to build a temporary wall.
If you decide to take the challenge, I am online every day and you can call or pm me for help at anytime.
I would also be helpful to know where you live.
The hardest parts are constantly checking you measurements, working with long heavy stringers and trying to keep thinking ahead.
Good luck.

Richard

Matt Reeves
01-30-2007, 4:37 PM
I live in Mandeville, LA so that of course would not be close. However, I do get to NY on occasion. I will certainly have a few questions when I take on this project. I promise not be too much of a pain for you or anyone else that is willing to answer some questions.

You know, its kind of like millwork is ,millwork is millwork after a while. I am hoping this will provide a challenge and maybe something to be proud of. If it comes anywhere close to any of your work, it would be pretty amazing.

Thanks,
Matt

Richard Wolf
01-30-2007, 4:44 PM
I have no problem helping you with any questions. The part about living close was part tongue in cheek.
I am in the middle of an elliptical staircase right now, and I don't usaully take pictures in progress, but maybe I can get some tomorrow.

Richard