PDA

View Full Version : US Flag display design help

Les Spencer
01-30-2007, 11:17 AM
I have been asked by a VFW post to make a frame to display a 3' x 5' US flag on a wall. It will be covered with Plexiglas. Are there any protocols to follow? Does anyone have any suggestions, preferably with pic's? I am not the most creative designer so I'd appreciate any help.:D

Thanks

Keel McDonald
01-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Les,

I built this (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27168&highlight=flag+case) one for a 5' x 9' flag about a year ago. Don't know if that's what you had in mind. I just mitered the top joint at 45 degrees, and did the same with the bottom joints, but let the sides overlap the bottom piece. I glued them and used pocket screws to attack the bottom. Hope this helps.

Les Spencer
01-30-2007, 11:31 AM
Keel,

Thanks but the flag will mounted flat against the wall.

Jim Becker
01-30-2007, 11:34 AM
Les, you didn't specifiy folded or flat. Keel's design is for folded. For flat, you'll want more of a box with a plexi face.

David Epperson
01-30-2007, 11:38 AM
The blue feild always goes on it's own right (your left as you are facing it), just like the US flag is always displayed on it's own right side on stage (or the speakers right). The flag may be displayed either stripes verticle or horizontal, but the blue feild will always be in the same corner (upper left as you face it). Also if there are any other flags involved, the US flag should always be at a higher elevation than all others.
I did a good bit of research on this when I was taking the boys through Cub/Boy Scouts. A good bit of information can be found on the net by searching for "Flag etiquette".

Les Spencer
01-31-2007, 3:23 PM
Thanks for the responses. :D David you answered what I was wondering about how to hang.

Anyone have a neat design for the molding on the frame that can be ran on a router table or should I go with a picture type frame and molding?:confused:

John Schreiber
01-31-2007, 6:48 PM
Depending on the historical value of the flag, it looks like there are a wide variety of methods.

I found one description here that looks decent reasonable: http://www.ronhazelton.com/howto/flag_preservation_frame.htm

It seems the thing to do to make a flag last while displaying it is to keep from hanging it, but to instead press it between a soft acid free surface and plexiglass, then keep it away from as much light as possible.

Mark Densmore
02-03-2007, 5:56 PM
Q: When the flag is not flown from a staff, how should it be displayed?

A: It should be displayed vertically, whether indoors or out, and suspended so that its folds fall free as though the flag were staffed. The stripes may be displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and to the flag's own right; that is, to the observer's left. When displayed in a window of a home or a place of business, the flag should be displayed in the same way; that is, with the union or blue field to the left of the observer in the street.

From http://www.legion.org/?section=americanism&subsection=flag_faq&content=flag_faq#4

Les Spencer
02-04-2007, 5:07 PM
Thanks again for the respones. :)

Ron Brese
02-04-2007, 6:49 PM
Les one thing you always want to remember when designing a display case for a specific item is that you do not want to upstage the item within the case. Minimal type cases work best and don't detract attention away from the item displayed.

Ron