PDA

View Full Version : Plunge vs fixed base for router table.

Jeff Smi
01-30-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm looking at purchasing a router that will live in my router table I am building. I currently have a PC 892 router that is 2 1/4 HP. I would like to get a Dedicated router for the router table. I'm looking at ones in the 3 1/4 Hp range. I don't want to spend more t hen $300 on another router, I was looking at the dewalt DW625, now grated it is only 3hp but should be good enough, the question I have, would there be any problem using a plunge router in a router table ? or is it best to stick to a fixed base ?

Al Willits
01-30-2007, 11:04 AM
Bit lower on HP than your looking for, but the PC 895K has both a plunge and stationary base, works pretty well for me, but I don't do a lot of heavy routing either.
Al

Jim Becker
01-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Forget "horsepower"...look at the amps. ;)

That said, if you don't want to buy a lift, one of the current crop of 15 amp plungers that offer above the table adjustment would be a good choice for your dedicated application. The DW625 is a proven, but older design, and I don't believe it has that feature.

I use a PC7518 with a lift in my table...it's fixed base with the handles sawed off.

glenn bradley
01-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Regardless of what you do, consider whether you will be doing above the table bit changes or removing the router from the housing. If you go with a plunge, you want to be sure at the full height, the collet is workable.

I use a Milwaukee 5625 and just drop it out of the housing which is very quick. I was looking at lifts but realize that the way the Mil is made I would require an offset wrench no matter how thin the router plate is. that in itself is not a show stopper but it is something to think about.

CPeter James
01-30-2007, 12:16 PM
If you do go with the Mil 5625, mount it 45º out of square to get the adjustment wrench out from under the fence. I have one and it works great.

CPeter

Matt Day
01-30-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm in the same position as you are, and I just ordered the Hitachi M12V2 from the jungle for $160 shipped. 15 amp 3 1/4 HP and gets good reviews.

ken gibbs
05-16-2008, 6:13 AM
I'm looking at purchasing a router that will live in my router table I am building. I currently have a PC 892 router that is 2 1/4 HP. I would like to get a Dedicated router for the router table. I'm looking at ones in the 3 1/4 Hp range. I don't want to spend more t hen $300 on another router, I was looking at the dewalt DW625, now grated it is only 3hp but should be good enough, the question I have, would there be any problem using a plunge router in a router table ? or is it best to stick to a fixed base ?
Jeff,

About 12 months ago I bought a reconditioned Bosch 1619 EVS 3 1/4 hp router for my router table, and the price is about 1/2 off list price. This router comes with a factory warrantee and is factory reconditioned. This router comes with a factory installed plunge lockout that is designed for installing this router into a router table. Router has soft start and I love it. Yesterday I used this router to cut a lot of 45 degree miter joints in 3/4" oak plywood and it does a great job. It has enough power to cut all day and can cut through a lot of stock without chattering or straining. I would strongly recommend this router get a good look from anyone who wants value and performance