PDA

View Full Version : Help with the Tolets

Marty Rose
01-30-2007, 9:48 AM
About one year ago I replaced two Tolets,with the "more efficent tolets". With a compleate bathroom makeover in both bathrooms. As of late,I am getting sepage from a small area around the tolet base and the New Tile we put in. We used water proof calking,and then some more durable stuff,I still get this leakage. It is Fresh water,or at least clear, non-staining,just clear. Is my next move EPOXIE? Need help with this Marty

Bonnie Campbell
01-30-2007, 9:59 AM
I'm not an expert, but if you're getting seepage, I'd be pulling the toilet up and resealing it. If you just seal around the base so you don't 'see' the water, it's still going to be damaging your floor.

Gerry Musson
01-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Best odds are it is the ring at the bottom flange. You can get expert advise at this link www.terrylove.com/forums.

Tell them make and model, if toilet is one or two piece and weither or not toilet has been rocking. If rocking for sure wax ring needs replacing.

David G Baker
01-30-2007, 10:12 AM
About one year ago I replaced two Tolets,with the "more efficent tolets". With a compleate bathroom makeover in both bathrooms. As of late,I am getting sepage from a small area around the tolet base and the New Tile we put in. We used water proof calking,and then some more durable stuff,I still get this leakage. It is Fresh water,or at least clear, non-staining,just clear. Is my next move EPOXIE? Need help with this Marty
Marty,
If the wax seal that is around the floor drain opening is working correctly you do not need to use any sealer. I have had to use two of the wax rings in some of my toilet installations due to adding under layment and adding a new floor surface.
Another possibility is that your toilet reservoir tank is sweating and the water is dripping on the floor and it may look like the water is coming from the toilet base.
Do not use epoxy as a toilet seal, the next time you need to lift your toilet from the floor you may have to buy a new toilet. The wax seal should provide the only seal you need if it is working correctly. They are cheap to replace. Check at your local hardware or plumbing store to see if they have a thicker wax ring if you confirm that it is your base seal that is the leak problem.
If your toilet is a 2 piece toilet, there is another seal between the tank and the base. This seal can cause leaks as well if it is not aligned correctly.
David B

Kyle Kraft
01-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Save your old ones!! Sell 'em on the pre-ban toilet black market!!! There are always people who are disgusted with their mamby pamby low consumption units that came in their new house.

David G Baker
01-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Save your old ones!! Sell 'em on the pre-ban toilet black market!!! There are always people who are disgusted with their mamby pamby low consumption units that came in their new house.
Kyle,
I agree with you 100%. The new low flow toilets waste more water than the older normal flow toilets. Many times it takes three flushes to get the job done as well as one flush on the older toilets.
The low flow toilets also have more problems than the older toilets. As long as I can still get parts for my older toilets I am keeping them and using them as toilets and not as planters.
David B

Art Mulder
01-30-2007, 12:49 PM

I did a lot of homework when I was toilet shopping. I found a great joint Canada/USA study that did a lot of homework on things and had standard ratings. If go to a store you see that the toilet companies talk about how many golfballs they'll flush... right, except I don't put golfballs in my toilet!!! :rolleyes: This study flushed a more realistic sample. Ahem. (soybean paste) Look for it.

We bought a Caroma toilet in our powder room. Never needs a second flush. It is a dual-flush unit, with a 3 liter flush and a 6 liter flush. (It's up to you to decide what needs the "big push". ;)) Nevertheless, I would not recommend this unit to anyone with small kids. It has a very tiny water surface, which means that the inside sides get stained easily if you, um, miss the center.

A year later we next bought an American Standard Flo-Wise toilet for the Master Bedroom ensuite and love it. (as much as you can love a toilet). Again, never needs a second flush. It uses only 4.5 liters per flush, so it is less than your normal low-flow toilet. Very nice unit. Highly recommended.

Lee Schierer
01-30-2007, 1:02 PM
When we remodeled our bathroom and got rid of the 1950's pink toilet, we purchased a Kohler Wellworth low water unit. It has a dual flush system where you use either 1.1 gallons or can push the handle all the way down for the full tank flush. We rarely have to use the extra water to get anything out of the tank. It also has a smooth exterior which makes cleaning much easier. It works far better than the old one did on the same plumbing system.

I have to agree with the others, water on the floor is not a good sign. I would check the underside of the tank and if it is wet either the tank is cracked or the seals in the hold down bolts or seal between the tank and the bowl are leaking. If it is the seal between the tank and the bowl it may only leak when you actually flush it as no water is normally present below the flapper valve, but you do get some back pressure during flushing that would push water out of a missing or improperly installed seal.

Jerry Clark
01-30-2007, 1:30 PM
I am betting that the problem is the wax seal-- especially since you have tile floor. In some cases this raises the toilet and requires a thicker wax ring or even two wax rings. Make sure that the tile is not applied over the mounting ring --- water gets under the tile and you will have sub-floor problems.:eek: If you have a leak it can still get under the tile and cause problems.:mad:

I recommend that you fix the problem pretty fast.:cool:

Dan Mages
01-30-2007, 10:32 PM
I echo the rest of the comments. Pull the toilet up and use an extra thick wax ring. I got one for the basement bathroom at the local Borg that is about 1.5 times thicker than average.

Dan

Brian Elfert
01-31-2007, 7:56 AM
As far as low flow toilets go, My Kohler Wellworth models work just fine. Never a need to double flush.

The $50 or $60 el cheapo toilets at your local home improvement store may have issues, but the Kohler is only $125 or so at Home Depot.

Brian Elfert

Marty Rose
01-31-2007, 8:45 AM
Gentlemen, thank you so much for all of the input, I will take everything under consideration,and remove the tolet, and replace the wax ring,with TWO wax rings,start there and see what happens, tha nks again,Marty :)

Jim O'Dell
01-31-2007, 9:53 AM
Marty, they also make a single wax ring that is taller than the normal ones. It might be the ticket. I had to use one on a toilet I had to rebuilt the mount collar for in the floor. Worked great with the taller wax ring. Jim.

Jerry Olexa
01-31-2007, 10:00 PM
Agree. Remove the toilet. Put in a new wax ring and you should be OK..