PDA

View Full Version : My “New” Method For Zeroing Out My Router Bit

Glen Blanchard
01-30-2007, 9:36 AM
I have a Jointech digital router lift on my table and have always zeroed out the router bit by moving a small piece of stock above the bit as I slowly raised it. Once I could feel the bit kiss the wood, I zeroed out the readout on the lift. This worked alright, but I had variances that were greater than I had wished. I had in the back of my mind a little system that would sense electrical contact between the router bit and a flat metal object placed above the bit. I finally put it together. This is what I did.

I attached a wire to a bolt on my router lift (below the table) that I had confirmed made electrical contact with the router bit. I have another wire attached to the side of the table within easy reach – has about 12” free. I placed an alligator clip on the end of this wire. This lead runs through a hole in the side of the table and in continuous with the wire connected to the lift. In line, I have placed a battery and a cheap DC buzzer. You can figure out the rest. Since I don’t use my Forrest blade stabilizer (and I know it is flat) I place it over the bit, flush on the table, connect the alligator clip to it, and slowly raise the bit until the buzzer sounds. Works great, and is repeatable to less than .001”.

Thought I’d share.

Art Davis
01-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Glen,

Fantastic idea!

Art

Dan Barr
01-30-2007, 11:26 AM
thats the smart type of thing that we all need to figure out. im going to figure out some of these things one day myself.

ciao

dan

glenn bradley
01-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Very cool. Simple straight-forward and very usable. Thanks!

Noah Katz
01-30-2007, 3:18 PM
Another way would be to put something flat over the bit opening and rest the tip of a dial indicator in it and watch for the first movement of the dial.

Brad Trent
01-30-2007, 3:39 PM
Both cool ideas. I had always just used the dial indicator on the bare router bit, trying to make sure it touched the high spot. Using the flat plate is a much better idea, and makes me want to kick myself for not ever doing it.

John Terefenko
01-30-2007, 10:13 PM
There is one of those gizmos out there that I see at woodworking shows all the time. Do not remember the name of it but you can use it to adjust heights of router bits and saw blades and works on the principle as you said but a light lights up when metal contacts the contact points. Pretty cool.