PDA

View Full Version : Maple Mantle and Bookcase to cover an old brick fireplace

Bryan Cowing
01-30-2007, 7:49 AM
I do hobby WW and will take on occasional work, just to be able to fund the next tool! After doing several mantles for the builder that built all the houses on my street, they recommended me to one of their friends. They had a white brick fireplace with cement sill hearth and mantle top in their 60's two story home. I removed the cement sills, filling the inside of the brick hearth support with cement. I made up several components , using soft maple, 3/4" maple ply , birch 1/4" ply, dry fitted them, then finished in my 2 car garage shop, using a satin lacquer. I used slate floor tile and glued them on the brick, butt joining them. The wood burning fireplace was converted to gas about 15 years ago. Spent about 3 months on this project.56410

Richard Wolf
01-30-2007, 8:01 AM
Very nice work.

Richard

John Schreiber
01-30-2007, 8:42 AM
That's a beauty. A fireplace rebuild is somewhere in my future so I'd love to see you other work too.

scott spencer
01-30-2007, 9:09 AM
Wow! "Beautiful" pretty much sums it up!

James Manning
01-30-2007, 9:43 AM
Really beautiful.........great job! I have a wall system for a plasma tv to build when I get done with my shop. I really like the arch on your bookcase and plan on something similar for mine. More photo's would be great. Thanks for posting.

James.

Bryan Cowing
01-30-2007, 9:58 AM
That's a beauty. A fireplace rebuild is somewhere in my future so I'd love to see you other work too.
albums here
http://community.webshots.com/user/bcowing

Jim Becker
01-30-2007, 9:58 AM
Great work, Bryan. Very elegant!