PDA

View Full Version : Medium priced wet grinder?

Bruce Page
11-26-2003, 7:58 PM
LOML has taken up carving and wants a slow speed wet grinder for Christmas. Is the little $150 Delta any good? Are there others I should look at?
She has forbidden me to even consider the $400 Tormak :mad:

Eternity’s a terrible thought. I mean, where’s it all going to end? -- Tom Stoppard

Anthony Yakonick
11-26-2003, 9:30 PM
Talk to some carvers, I'm not a carver but I know a bunch of top notch carvers and they rarely if ever "grind" their tools.

Jerry Martin
11-26-2003, 10:09 PM
LOML has taken up carving and wants a slow speed wet grinder for Christmas. Is the little $150 Delta any good? Are there others I should look at?
She has forbidden me to even consider the $400 Tormak :mad:

Eternity’s a terrible thought. I mean, where’s it all going to end? -- Tom Stoppard

Bruce I have one of those Delta grinders with the low speed big white wheel in water and have never been able to get the edge I want. Today the big brown truck delivered my Tormmec and the Delta is for sale for $65.00. Jerry in Amarillo, Texas

Bruce Page
11-26-2003, 10:48 PM
Bruce I have one of those Delta grinders with the low speed big white wheel in water and have never been able to get the edge I want. Today the big brown truck delivered my Tormmec and the Delta is for sale for $65.00. Jerry in Amarillo, Texas

Jerry, let us know what you think of the Tormak

Tom Hintz
11-27-2003, 3:56 AM
I recently made the switch from a Delta wet grinder to the Tormek and couldn't be more impressed with the new machine. (I have reviews of both at the links below with more specifics)
The Delta is an OK machine but does not compare to the Tormek. I doubt there is anything out there that does really. I know the Tormek is pricey but consider all that is spent on grinders like the Delta and associated jigs and stones and the Tormek doesn't look all that bad anymore. Especially when you replace all that stuff you bought the first time around to buy the Tormek, as I did. That was not as good of a fiscal plan as buying the Tormek to start with.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/delta23-700.html
http://www.newwoodworker.com/tormekrevu.html

Jerry Martin
11-27-2003, 4:40 PM

Bruce after onl one day with the Tormek, I am satisfyed that I made the right decision. I resharpened three of my bowl gouges with a fingernail grind, 1/4 " Hamlet, 3/8 Ellsworth and 1/2" Sorby that I had been using the Wolverine system to grind. What a difference. As I started I could see the old grind and how it varied along the grind from where it should have been.

After each one I made test cuts and it was like going from the darkness into the light. Wonderful cutting and very, very Sharp!

If you are still considering the Tormek, GO FOR IT.

By the way, if you are ever over this way, come by for a visit.

Jerry

Michael Stadulis
11-27-2003, 6:23 PM
Jerry,

Do they havea jig for fingernail grinds??? Or are you doing it freehand?

Mike

Tom Hintz
11-27-2003, 7:06 PM
Jerry,

Mike

Tomek has a very cool jig for fingernail-style grinds.
You can see all of thier jigs with photos and descriptions at their site at www.tormek.us

Steven Wilson
11-28-2003, 10:48 AM
I use oil stones and then a strop to sharpen carving tools. For grinding carving tools I use the Tormek, but my instructor uses a high speed grinder freehand. Another popular option is to use a 1x42" belt sander for grinding carving tools.

Jerry Martin
11-28-2003, 2:02 PM
Jerry,

Mike

Yes it comes with the woodturners package and is very good. Everything is locked down and the only movement allowed is the movement needed to put a perfect grind on your tools. jerry

Bruce Page
11-28-2003, 3:59 PM
Thanks for all the info and great reviews. There is a “like new” Tormek with “all the accessories” in today’s paper for $600, but for as little use that it will see, I think I will go with the cheaper Delta or similar.

"Aim towards the Enemy" -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher

Michael Stadulis
11-28-2003, 10:31 PM
Thanks for all the info and great reviews. There is a “like new” Tormek with “all the accessories” in today’s paper for $600, but for as little use that it will see, I think I will go with the cheaper Delta or similar.

"Aim towards the Enemy" -Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher

Bruce,

Who's got it for sale and is it really w/ all te accessories??

Mike

Bruce Page
11-28-2003, 11:45 PM
Bruce,

Who's got it for sale and is it really w/ all te accessories??

Mike

Mike, It was in an add in the local paper. I didn't call on it so I don't know if it really has all the accessories or not.

Mike Wilkins
12-01-2003, 11:23 AM
Although this sharpener does not get much publicity, the Makita wet
grinder has served me well for years. Comes with a 1000 grit wheel, an
angle adjustment system, and a jig for sharpening planer or jointer
knives. I use mine to put an edge on plane knives, chisels and even
knives.
I see no reason why you can't use it for carving and turning tools.
If I did do some serious carving, I would just get some good quality
stones and learn to hand sharpen. Hand methods tend to get overlooked
by us plug-in woodworkers.

Bruce Page
12-01-2003, 12:44 PM
Although this sharpener does not get much publicity, the Makita wet
grinder has served me well for years. Comes with a 1000 grit wheel, an
angle adjustment system, and a jig for sharpening planer or jointer
knives. I use mine to put an edge on plane knives, chisels and even
knives.
I see no reason why you can't use it for carving and turning tools.
If I did do some serious carving, I would just get some good quality
stones and learn to hand sharpen. Hand methods tend to get overlooked
by us plug-in woodworkers.

Mike, thanks for the info on the Makita, I’ll take a look at it.
I’ve already bought her several stones and a couple of diamond hones, and she took a sharpening class at the local Woodcraft, but she wants the wet grinder for Christmas – Who am I to argue :D