PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky Motor

Jake Helmboldt
01-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Recently the motor on my PM 64 started squeaking just as it would spin to a stop. Tonight I took off the belt and noticed that it squeaks if I turn it by hand, however when running it sounds fine, it only squeaks at the very end for a second. Given that it is totally enclosed, is there a way I can easily lube the bearings (the squeak comes from the end where the fan is).

Is this a harbinger of great doom for my motor?

Jake

Rod Sheridan
01-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Hi Jake, you didn't mention whether your motor was single or three phase.

If it's single phase, there will be a centrifugal starting switch inside the motor. As the motor slows down, you will hear a snap, and a possible light rubbing or squeaking sound as the bobbin now rubs against the switch to close the starting circuit. This is most easily heard with the belts removed.

This isn't a harbinger of doom, just normal operation. You can also hear the switch snap open as the motor accelerates.

Regards, Rod.

Mike Goetzke
01-29-2007, 11:29 PM
Don't know if it's the same problem, but, I had the same thing happen on a Craftsman 22124. I could grab the armature and turn it and it would squeek. I took off the end cap and found it was just the capacitor throw-out mechanism - I just spread a little of the grease that was already in there and the squeek went away.

Jake Helmboldt
01-30-2007, 11:19 PM
Hi Rod, it is a single phase, and yes I notice the centrifugal switch, but I'm wondering why it started squeaking recently. I'll try the greasing reccomendation if I can gain access to that part of the motor.

Mike Goetzke
01-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Sorry for an almost duplicate post - there were no responses when I started my reply..I sware. I must have been slow with the post button.

glenn bradley
01-31-2007, 12:01 AM
Mike, I really appreciate your post. My zip code saw started doing the same thing but then quit (making the noise). It has been on my mind and I am glad to know it is a minor thing (if even a problem at all) if it returns.

You gotta love this forum!