PDA

View Full Version : Corel Shading question for Rastering

Kim Vellore
01-29-2007, 10:21 PM
I have been trying this for some time and nearly given up on this cad package.

Here is the problem, I draw a rectangle and shade it with it being black on one side and fade to white on the other side. Now if I rotate the rectangle, the shading does not follow the rectangle. The shading stays in place like a background and it looks like you are rotating a transparent rectangle. Is there any way to lock the shading to the rectangle. I am trying to raster a pipe on plastic (half pipe) and if it is at straight or at 45 degree angles I am able to draw it easy if I have a ‘S’ shaped curve I am not able to shade it like black on one side of the ‘S’ and white on the other side of the ‘S’. to make a tube I usually put two half shaded tubes together and raster to form half a tube on the plastic surface. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kim

Joe Pelonio
01-29-2007, 10:29 PM
Did you group the shape and the shading together before rotating them?

Richard Rumancik
01-30-2007, 12:00 AM
Just out of curiousity I tried this myself in Corel 11. I am assuming by "shading" you mean a fountain fill. I drew a rectangle, ellipse and arbitrary shape and shaded them using fountain fill. It does not treat the fill as a separate entity (object). In other words, there is nothing to group as it is only one object. Nor can you "break apart." Also, it isn't possible to place them on separate layers, as there is only one object. The fountain fill rotates with the outline as we would expect. So I can't explain what is happening with your drawing; it appears to work in Corel 11.

If you select the entire area with a "window" and it says "two objects selected" then you have an empty box on top of a filled box with invisible outline. If is just says "rectangle on Layer x" then I can't explain the behaviour.

Kim Vellore
01-30-2007, 12:09 AM
Joe,
It does not work even for single object. For example if I draw a rectangle and fountain fill it with two colors it is a single object and no option to group. if you then rotate the rectangle the shading does not rotate with the object and the new shading messes it up.

Kim

Kim Vellore
01-30-2007, 12:17 AM
The fountain fill rotates with the outline as we would expect. So I can't explain what is happening with your drawing; it appears to work in Corel 11.

Richard,
Sorry I did not explain clearly, the shading rotates with the object but no longer the same shading gradient. If I have my shading gradient black on the left and white on the right, now I rotate the object clockwise by 90 degrees I would think the shading will be Black on top and white on the bottom in the object , instead it is still black on the left and white on the right. This is a problem for me because I am trying to draw a ‘S’ shaped tube so I should have white in the center of the tube and gradually becoming black on either sides. I am not sure if I can do this with Corel Draw.

Kim

Rodne Gold
01-30-2007, 3:46 AM
Shade it , convert it to a bitmap , then rotate etc

Mike Null
01-30-2007, 7:25 AM
Kim
In X3 I can do what you want by filling and rotating--no unusual steps.

Richard Rumancik
01-30-2007, 8:03 PM
Kim

After your second explanation I started to see what the problem was.

I played around a little and it seems like the key to doing this is to use the Interactive fill tool. At least I was able to get it to work but I'm no expert with this. But take a look at this site:

http://www.oberonplace.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-962.html

This seems to be the same problem you are seeing. In part the fellow says

"Interactive Fill tool works differently in a sense that it actually attaches a fill vector to the object and the fill goes from the beginning of the vector to its end and is no longer relevant to the object's bounding box. So, when a fill has been applied to a rectangle with the Interactive Fill tool and the rectangle is rotated, the vector rotates along with the object and the rotated fill looks exactly the same way on the rotated rectangle as on the original one."

Maybe this link will help you get it to work.

Mike Null
01-31-2007, 6:58 AM
Kim:
Here's my file in v12.

Wil Lambert
01-31-2007, 7:38 AM
Mike,

You can always use the advanced tab to change the angle of the gradient fill.

Wil

Mike Null
01-31-2007, 8:43 AM
Kim:

Can you show us what you're trying to do? It sounds like there may be another way to do what you want; even PhotoPaint may be your answer but I'm having a hard time picturing it.

Kim Vellore
01-31-2007, 4:47 PM
Mike,
I checked the file you posted, thanks. I see the same problem.
As Richard posted in his message this link talks about the problem I have and the solution too

http://www.oberonplace.com/forums/ar...php/t-962.html

Using Interactive fill tool fixes my problem
To conclude this thread, attached is a picture of my problem and solution
Thanks to you all who took the time to help me.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=56498&stc=1&d=1170279983

Kim