PDA

View Full Version : Dyed Oak Box

Curt Fuller
01-29-2007, 9:50 PM
This is my first experiment with Artisan Dyes. This was turned from a cutoff piece of a 4"x4" oak laminated baluster. I don't know the difference between red and white oak but this was harder than the back of my head (and that's pretty hard), splintery, and pretty miserable stuff to work with. The finial is one I made for something else from dunno wood so it didn't match very well and looks like a baby pacifier. But the dye was pretty fun to play with (use rubber gloves, DAMHIKT) and made for a different look to some pretty plain wood.

Ernie Nyvall
01-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Nice one Curt. You did good with the dye. Got orange hands do ya?:D

Bernie Weishapl
01-29-2007, 10:18 PM
Curt that is a nice box. I like the dyed look. Nice job.

Steve Schlumpf
01-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Really nice Curt! I like the way the dark dye color enhances the grain on top of the box - really nice effect! Will have to give that a try sometime.

Mark Pruitt
01-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Great job Curt! I hope you'll keep on experimenting, there's no telling what you'll come up with. I really like the way those colors compliment each other.

John Chandler
01-29-2007, 10:28 PM
"Vellly Intellesting" - Arte Johnson.

Mark Cothren
01-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Nice little box, Curt!

John Hart
01-30-2007, 6:16 AM
Why is it that your problem pieces are always better than my best pieces?:confused: Nice lookin' box Curt!

Hey...I have a question. How deep does the dye penetrate? The reason I ask, is I was wondering if you could spin up the piece, apply stripes of dye, then turn coves that would define the edges of the stripes of dye. Or would it wick so deeply into the wood that you couldn't do that?

Curt Fuller
01-30-2007, 8:53 AM
Hey...I have a question. How deep does the dye penetrate? The reason I ask, is I was wondering if you could spin up the piece, apply stripes of dye, then turn coves that would define the edges of the stripes of dye. Or would it wick so deeply into the wood that you couldn't do that?
I think it would depend on the type of wood. This oak had pores that were like straws running through it. The blue dye went all the way through the lid and seeped out the underside. Some of the red seeped from the top edge of the box and came out on the side where it curved in. I rubbed it with a paper towel soaked with DNA to blend the colors together but before doing that it was really blotchy from all the seeping.

Pete Jordan
01-30-2007, 9:01 AM
Looks good Kurt!

I watched Jimmy Clewes new DVD and he goes into good detail about working with dyes. I hope to try it this summer.