PDA

View Full Version : Creeker Visit: Joanne Adler

Jim Becker
01-29-2007, 9:23 PM
I stopped by to visit Joanne Adler today at lunch time as I have not seen her shop since right after she moved to her new place...quite a transformation, too! An absolutely beautiful floor (with radiant heat) now is underfoot and the amazing light from all the windows is wonderful. She has a workspace to die for! While Joanne hangs out at Wood Central most of the time, I'm twisting her arm really hard to post a shop tour and a pictorial on her nice 16" Crescent jointer...the one we are leaning on below. Between her awesome work with the band (No Windows (http://www.nowindows.us/)) and her great woodworking...wow. The project on the end of the jointer is a really wonderful jewelry box for a gift to a family member. Exquisite!

Corey Hallagan
01-29-2007, 9:33 PM
Wow, that looks like a real sweet shop! Nice jewlery chest as well!

corey

Nancy Laird
01-29-2007, 9:35 PM
Jim, tell Joanne that her shop is too clean! I didn't see ANY sawdust--maybe that Fein vacuum does its job too well! Pretty jewelry box!!

Nancy

Frank Snyder
01-29-2007, 9:36 PM
That is a nice jointer. Please twist her arm a bit more if you would ;)...I know I'd like a tour.

How'd that heated floor feel?

Jim Becker
01-29-2007, 9:46 PM
Frank, even with the current single-pane windows and old doors, the space was very comfortable feeling. The floor was not hot to the touch, but you could tell it was conditioned space. I wish I had the head-room and inclination to do a thin pour with radiant for my own shop after seeing the result in her shop! The finish job that the concrete folks did was incredible...smoooooootttthhhhhh!

Nancy, if you think it's clean now...'wait until the Gorilla is hung and working! :) (My shop gets that clean between projects, too...at least it did before I got kids. Sheesh!)

Joe Mioux
01-30-2007, 9:05 AM
Looks like you had a wonderful visit Jim. Ditto we need more pics of this shop.

also,

In my mind, there is nothing better than radiant in-floor heat. I have it at my branch shop.

Out in the greenhouses all the benches have this heat. Imagine 16 benches with widths varying from 5-6.5 ft x 90 long acting as large radiators at waste level. Talk about a comfortable environment.

joe

Don Bullock
01-30-2007, 9:24 AM
Nice shop space. The radiant heating sounds fantastic. Please do talk her into some more photos. BTW -- Thanks for remembering the camera this time.;) :D

Joanne Adler
01-30-2007, 9:58 AM
Okay, okay! Uncle! More pix on the way. I promise.

While I often lurk over here on the Creek to see what wonderful things you all are working on, I rarely post here. I don't know why that is, since everyone is always so nice, complimentary, and helpful. In fact, anyone who has had the pleasure of a Jim Becker shop visit knows that he is always a great guest in the shop--full of kind words and excellent tips and ideas. This visit was no different. At least I got to return a favor in kind; I introduced him to a new sawmill in the area.

I am in the middle of moving files from one pc to another, but I will hunt down the posts I did over on WoodCentral about the big jointer refurbish and read about how to post them here. I should also still have pix of the radiant floor going in, if anyone is interested in that.

Thanks, Jim!

Roy Wall
01-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Welcome Joanne!

Your shop looks terrific and we all await the details. Beautiful jewelry box too!
Yes, Mr. Becker is a good man!

Al Willits
01-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Welcome, all that and a upstairs?????
Very nice.

Al.....who's going home tonight and burning his shop/garage in shame....:)

James Manning
01-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the pictures, but I have to tell ya Joanne is a whole lot prettier.....:)! Joanne thanks for allowing us a peak at your wonderful shop, it looks so warm and cozy. I for one can not wait to see the rest of it.

Mike Cutler
01-30-2007, 2:31 PM
Nice shop Joanne. Very nice workspace. Someday when I grow up I'll be that neat and organized.

I read through the Shopshots, I think, on Wood Central on your jointer resto' job. It looked big then, with both of you standing in front of it, the size of that beast really stands out.
The jewlery box, with the different tones of wood is very striking. Nice work.

Tim Morton
01-30-2007, 7:09 PM
I can't see the jointer...is it behind the pool table you are leaning against?:D

Sam Chambers
01-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Joanne:

I've been listening to the samples on your band's web site. As a musician, I got a real kick out of "Sound Check" - Gotta love musician humor! It reminds me of a (now defunct) group called Uncle Bonsai, out of Seattle. Some of their stuff was rather off-color, but funny just the same.

David Cramer
01-31-2007, 7:51 AM
What a :cool: COOL looking shop!!! How inspiring is that people? Nice job Joanne and even though I am new, as a rookie I truly hope you do some posting here. Nice project over your left shoulder. Thank you for posting the picture Jim, very nice of you. Everytime I see one of those cool shops, I get inspired to do this, that, and the other thing to mine.

Thanks, Dave