PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

Brian Thomas
01-29-2007, 9:17 PM
Howdy all! I've been lurking on SMC for a couple weeks and decided I'd introduce myself and post a few pictures of my modest shop and modest creation. I've really enjoyed reading the threads on this forum and have already learned a lot. This seems to be a great community - it's nice that folks use their real names.

Ok on to the photos. As you can see I share my shop with one of our cars. We have a drive-under basement/garage so the space is a little deeper than most two-car garages.

I have to do a small tool acquisition gloat. One of my other hobbies/obsessions is fly fishing. I'm a member of the local trout unlimited chapter and one of our former members was getting rid of all of his bigger tools as he was moving to another state. He said the moving company was going to charge him more to move the tools than it would cost to replace them. So for $2000 I got the PM 66 with Bies fence and extension tables, Delta drill press, Jet 14" bandsaw, Delta 6" jointer, Delta 12" planer, and the Delta sanding center. He also thew in the work bench (pretty cheap) and a shop vac. I thought that was a pretty sweet deal.

The cabinets in the shop came from the local Habitat for Humanity reuse center. It's nice to have that place so close - it's a good resource for all sorts of building materials.

Ok - hopefully this will work. Bear with me if the pictures didn't get posted correctly. I'll try and post pictures of my work in a follow up post.

Paul Douglass
01-29-2007, 9:23 PM
welcome, and yes that sounds like a sweet deal. The TS alone is probably worht that!

Jim Becker
01-29-2007, 9:29 PM
Welcome to the posting side of things, Brian!! Looks like a fine shop you have there...and a great deal on the tools! Sometimes ya just have to step in the right place, eh??!! :D :D :D

Brian Thomas
01-29-2007, 9:43 PM
Well, that seemed to work. On to post #2. The first project I wanted to build was a dresser to replace the falling-apart el cheapo Target dresser that I'd had for about 10 years. Our house was designed with two small closets in the knee-walls of our 2nd story bedroom. I found I didn't use my closet much so I decided to try and do a built-in dresser to make better use of the space.

This was my first real attempt at a fairly large project and while of course there are mistakes and things that didn't work out quite as well as I'd hoped, I have to say that I'm overall I'm happy with the project. Since these pictures were taken I've repainted the wall around the trim, so it looks a bit better than shown here. I think it'll really stand out once we get some real color on the walls.

The wood is all 3/4 red oak and oak plywood - yes it all came from Lowe's. Buying wood from a real hardwood dealer is a step I'm contemplating but haven't yet taken. The finish is simply one coat of a wipe on stain and three coats of wipe on polyurethane.

Brian Thomas
01-29-2007, 9:45 PM
Paul - I dig your ride in your avatar.

Jim - Thanks - I've stepped in the wrong place enough I figured I was due.

glenn bradley
01-29-2007, 10:31 PM
That was a GREAT deal. It looks like you've got a very workable shop area there. My only concern is that the stand for your stereo may not be heavy-duty enough ;-)

Ted Shrader
01-29-2007, 11:28 PM
Hi Brian -

Welcome to the Creek. This is a great place to hang out and exchange ideas.

You did get an outstanding deal on the shop equipment. Well done.

Regards,
Ted

Corey Hallagan
01-29-2007, 11:46 PM
Welcome and a great looking shop space! And what a tool gloat! Nice!

Corey

Michael Gibbons
01-30-2007, 7:15 AM
Welcome Brian! Your first post is a doozey.... PICS, We love pics. Especially of shop layouts. You'll do fine..

Brian Thomas
01-30-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks all. The shop space isn't huge and I certainly don't feel it's complete (are they ever?) but I sure have enjoyed setting it up and messing around in it.

Glenn - yeah, the stereo stand is a Vermont American router table - another freebie from the tool deal. The instruction manual had two pages that were left completely blank - one was supposed to contain the directions for mounting your router. I deduced from the remaining directions that a plate gets mounted to the router and then the plate is mounted to the table. The mounting plate was also missing - so, short story long, the router table is doing a great job holding the tune machine.

Jerry Olexa
01-30-2007, 5:36 PM
Welcome Brian and nice work...

Alan Greene
01-30-2007, 5:47 PM
Welcome Brian, what a great deal. Nice job on the built -ins

Alan

Chris Bolton
01-30-2007, 6:17 PM
Fantastic score on the tools (and the cabinets). As they say, you don't catch any fish if you ain't at the pond ... or stream, in your case.

lou sansone
01-30-2007, 8:38 PM
welcome to the creek and very nice shop. I also likethe dresser as well

lou