PDA

View Full Version : 4' Flourescent Light Fixtures, Recessed

Todd Solomon
01-29-2007, 8:59 PM
I'd like to install lights in the ceiling of my shop expansion. The ceiling height is low, so I'd like to recess the lights into the sheetrock. Are fixtures like this commonly available?

I bought some 4' x 1' dual T12 flourescent "troffer" fixtures at Lowe's, which at first glance appear to mount into a sheetrock ceiling. But the clamp system that they have requires at least 1-1/2" thickness of the material you're mounting into. No instructions in the box, and no help from Lowe's employee = me scratching my head. :confused:

I'm speculating that this fixture is really for mounting to a T-bar ceiling, typical in commercial buildings.

Anyone have any words of wisdom or recommendations? I can easily return these and buy other fixtures, if I can find the appropriate ones.

Thanks for your help.

Todd

Bruce Page
01-29-2007, 9:27 PM
Todd, I installed 8, four foot, four bulb fixtures, the type that fit into recessed ceilings. It was relatively easy to do but very messy cutting the sheet rock. My rafters are on 2’ centers. Using a sheet rock hand saw, I simply cut the opening by skirting the edge of the rafter. Once the opening was cut I raised the fixture between the rafters and shot screws through the lip of the fixture and into the 2X.
This is a old picture, I could shoot some better ones if you want.

Jim Becker
01-29-2007, 9:32 PM
Todd, if you can, try to find fixtures that are T8...better light and better "future". You may need to goto the local electrical/lighting supplier to find appropriate fixtures, too...the selection in the 'borg is often limited.

glenn bradley
01-29-2007, 10:35 PM
I believe you are correct about the T-bar mounting design. speaking of "T's" I would return them just based on not being T-8 fixtures with the proper ballast (that's an assumption on the ballast). I have eight T-12 fixtures and got rid of four by installing two T-8 fixtures. The rest go as soon as the sale price returns. There are a variety of recessed four foot x two lamp fixtures at the big-box stores around here. If you have no luck there, check online.

Efficiency example:

T-12 lamps x 4 = 144watts in, 73 lumens per watt out
T-8 lamps = 112 watts in, 97 lumens per watt out

Jim O'Dell
01-29-2007, 10:53 PM
Todd, I have the same limitations in my shop. 7'8". I used the T-8s from Home Depot. A mixture of the 4' 2 bulb and the 8' 4 bulb units. I cut some 2X6's, to fit the 22 1/2" between the ceiling joists, so that the piece lowered into the space with "shoulders" that went over the joist. In the bottom I cut an arc so that the lights in the fixture when installed would be above the joists. This way I could add some sort of "protection" in the form of metal grating or similar to protect the bulbs. I used some of the textured white sheets that have a fiberglass base, also from HD. Cut into 24" strips, they fit up in the arc perfectly. Use screws to hold them in place, and then screw the light fixtures to the wooden arcs. I cut a hole for the electrical access with a 1" hole saw. I cut some 2X material at an angle to make the transitions from the ceiling level to the reflector to "cap" the ends. I forget what the sheets are called. Glasliner, something like that. It can be found in the isle with the trim mouldings. Its 30.00 per 4X8 sheet. You can see a couple pictures in this post: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=14427&page=3&highlight=coolmeadow+creations
Post # 62. Let me know if I can take any more detailed pictures. I've got more to build in the coming months, and I don't have the ceiling installed yet. Jim.

edit: I looked at the troffers, but the ones I found wouldn't fit between the joists. They are made for the suspended ceilings, and are too wide when 2X material is there instead of metale T bars.

Todd Solomon
01-30-2007, 1:02 AM
Guys,

Thanks for the ideas, and the heads up on the T8 vs. T12. I had thought that the only difference between the two was 34W vs. 40W, and that the higher wattage would be brighter.

At Lowe's, they had both types for the same price. I guess I'll return 'em and get the T8s.

Regarding installation, I think the sheetrock is strong enough to support these fixtures 1' x 4' fixtures (they're light compared to the big ones). It's not very practical for me to add additional structure, because insulation is already in place, and I have 8 fixtures. I'm thinking about strips of 1" MDF, screwed to the top side of the sheetrock, that the T-bar hooks can mount to. This appears to be a relatively simple solution.

These fixtures also come with hinged covers, so the lights are nicely protected.

Again, thanks a lot for the pictures and ideas.

Todd

Rick Potter
01-30-2007, 2:17 AM
The way my electrician buddy explained it to me is that the T-8 bulbs are not the reason they are so much more efficient, it is the electronic ballast that takes less juice to run, and produces less heat also.

That is why I went for the t-8, just make sure it has the electronic ballast.

Rick Potter

Richard Keller
01-30-2007, 8:12 PM
I'd like to install lights in the ceiling of my shop expansion. The ceiling height is low, so I'd like to recess the lights into the sheetrock. Are fixtures like this commonly available?

I bought some 4' x 1' dual T12 flourescent "troffer" fixtures at Lowe's, which at first glance appear to mount into a sheetrock ceiling. But the clamp system that they have requires at least 1-1/2" thickness of the material you're mounting into. No instructions in the box, and no help from Lowe's employee = me scratching my head. :confused:

I'm speculating that this fixture is really for mounting to a T-bar ceiling, typical in commercial buildings.

Anyone have any words of wisdom or recommendations? I can easily return these and buy other fixtures, if I can find the appropriate ones.

Thanks for your help.

Todd

You are correct, they are meant for t-bar ceilings, however, there is a trim ring available to mount them in drywall. Essentially it is a t-bar square. Not terribly expensive, but doubt you'll find it at any big box stores. You'll have to look up a real electrical wholesaler in the yellow pages, or check out the local lighting store.

Richard.

Todd Solomon
01-30-2007, 9:27 PM
You are correct, they are meant for t-bar ceilings, however, there is a trim ring available to mount them in drywall. Essentially it is a t-bar square. Not terribly expensive, but doubt you'll find it at any big box stores. You'll have to look up a real electrical wholesaler in the yellow pages, or check out the local lighting store.

Richard.

Thanks Richard, I have an electrical supply around the corner from me. I'll stop in there to see if they can help. Otherwise, I'll just make some MDF spacers.

Todd

Jack Hutchinson
01-30-2007, 10:08 PM
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=163643-337-4464507

I nailed ledgers on the floor joists. It was a bit tricky reaching around the sides of the fixture to screw down the clamps. Once installed they come on instantly at full power and the light quality is great.

I'm very happy with them.

Joe Jensen
01-31-2007, 12:05 AM
I am considering the replacement of all my old ballasts with electronic ballasts. I currently have 12 fixtures, each with four 40W T12 four foot bulbs. I was going to just replace the ballasts with a single electronics ballast that would support all for T12 bulbs. Do I need to go with T8 bulbs? I'd prefer the most light I can get with the existing fixtures...joe

Mark Strickland
01-31-2007, 9:53 AM
You will see more and more T12 fixtures phased out. In our store we have only kept T8 troffers for over a year. If you are going to an electrical supply you should spend an extra buck or two and get a fixture whip as well.

Todd Solomon
01-31-2007, 10:49 AM
You will see more and more T12 fixtures phased out. In our store we have only kept T8 troffers for over a year. If you are going to an electrical supply you should spend an extra buck or two and get a fixture whip as well.

Mark,

What's a fixture whip?

Thanks

Todd

Mark Strickland
01-31-2007, 11:38 AM
.. Todd , a fixture whip is a factory installed piece of mc cable (metal clad cable with wire in it) , a pig tail :)

Michael Braga
01-31-2007, 2:23 PM
I've installed quite a few fixtures in drywall ceilings. They are usually a 'wing' built into each corner of the fixture. The fixtures also have a beauty ring built into it that fits flush to the ceiling when your done. You flip the wings in, then using a drill driver you screw turn the slotted screw attached to the wings, the wings flip out and screw down securing the fixture. It's much easier than it sounds. Just order them from the wholesaler they should know exactly what you want. With some manufacturers the wings come in a seperate kit, but you just have to snap them into place.

Ken Consaul
02-01-2007, 5:31 PM
I bought, at one of the big stores, some of the 2' x 4' fixtures designed for T bar ceilings. As my ceiling joists were 24" oc, the fixtures wouldn't quite go between the 2x4 joists. My ceiling is drywalled so I laid out the length and cut between the trusses (joists). I then made a frame of 1x2 and fastened this through the drywall, leaving enough space for the lip of the fixture to fit. Once in place the fixture fit on the surface mount frame and fastened up easily. I think the fixtures were about thirty bucks for a four bulb fixture.

Bill Brady
02-01-2007, 7:06 PM
You will need to change to T8 lamps with the electronic ballasts. There is a retrofit kit available to change a T12 fixture into a T8 but it may be most cost effective and easier to replace the fixtures, the T8 and T12 fixtures are wired differently.

You will be very happy with the increase in light output.

Richard Keller
02-01-2007, 7:12 PM
I am considering the replacement of all my old ballasts with electronic ballasts. I currently have 12 fixtures, each with four 40W T12 four foot bulbs. I was going to just replace the ballasts with a single electronics ballast that would support all for T12 bulbs. Do I need to go with T8 bulbs? I'd prefer the most light I can get with the existing fixtures...joe

You can get one ballast to do four T8 bulbs. Officially, all T12 bulbs and ballasts will be off the market by 2010. Already, new fixtures can only be purchase as T8 or T5 which are much more environmentally friendly. Also, T8 lights draw less electricity, and give off more light. I am converting my home over, as fixtures break down.

Richard.