PDA

View Full Version : Do we need an shift key abbreviation?

Dave Fifield
01-29-2007, 6:52 PM
HF can mean "hollow form" or "Harbor Freight"
BS can mean "bandsaw" or "bull****"
TS can mean "tablesaw" or "tough ****"
DNA can mean "de-natured alcohol" or "deoxyribonucleic acid"
etc.

To avoid confusion, maybe we should have a kind of shift key to designate which of the two meanings is intended? Something like the "^" character? Thus:

HF means "Harbor Freight" and ^HF means "hollow form"
BS means "bandsaw" and ^BS means "bull****"
etc.

Comments, ideas?

Ralph Dobbertin
01-29-2007, 8:32 PM
Thanks for this...was wondering what HF was...didn't want to ask

Rob Bodenschatz
01-29-2007, 8:38 PM
Context is enough for me. Anything more is just confusing.

Ben Grunow
01-29-2007, 9:27 PM
Since this is off topic. Where did the name "weed pot" come from? What are you supposed to put in there? (BTW, this question is no BS, from a guy who never made a HF but shops at HF sometimes and has a BS and a B.S. in CE and AFAIK these abbreviations are a PITA but once you learn them they save lots of time DAMHIKT)

Someone has to be the jackass.

Ben

Bruce Page
01-29-2007, 9:40 PM
Dave, the HF throws me all the time but I think we'd spend more time explaining ^ to new members than it would be worth.

Jim Becker
01-29-2007, 9:41 PM
Ben, I'll hazard that "weed pot" comes from the fact that the turning is generally shaped like a vase, but only has a small hole drilled for contents, rather than full hollowing...only a "weed" will fit in the hole as a decorative element. A variation uses a test tube as a water-fast vessel so you can use it as a bud-vase, etc. One of the advantages is the extra weight "down low" which makes them stable for display with a small flower, real or manufactured inserted.

Ben Grunow
01-29-2007, 9:49 PM
Ahh...I see. I didn't know there was a small hole in the top. I guess I never saw a picture of one from the top or never payed attention.

That was, of course, a bad joke. But thank you for clearing up a question for me. One of these days I am going to get a lathe so I will need to know.

Thanks again

Ben

Ryan Cathey
01-29-2007, 10:34 PM
HF I think could also mean the same as POS, ROTFLMAO hehehe.

-Ryan C.

John Schreiber
01-29-2007, 10:35 PM
At the hospital where I work, misused abbreviations can be life or death. The electronic medical record system is designed to allow only approved words and agreed upon abbreviations. That's one of the reasons everyone finds it so frustrating and why some avoid it all costs.

On the Creek, most of the time when I see something I don't know, it's on the spinny forum. I just figure I don't need to know.

TTFN

Jeffrey Fusaro
01-30-2007, 7:35 AM
while we're talking about them, what does the acronym SWMBO mean? :rolleyes:

C U L8R! :D

Matt Meiser
01-30-2007, 7:40 AM
B.S. in CE

Civil Enginnering? Computer Engineering? Chemical Engineering? :D

Rob Russell
01-30-2007, 8:10 AM
while we're talking about them, what does the acronym SWMBO mean? :rolleyes:

C U L8R! :D

Take a look at this OT SMC thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27040) on acronyms ...

Kyle Kraft
01-30-2007, 9:03 AM
Jeffery,

SWMBO is She Who Must Be Obeyed. Some lore about a powerful woman who ruled over a bunch of male subjects, and you would be punished for using her name. So all the dudes got together and called her SWMBO.

Michael Gibbons
01-30-2007, 9:21 AM
The UPS man might get mad if you call him a Useless Piece of S*** or I was on I-75 doing 95mph in a 55 in my '94 Z28 which had a 350 CID V8 and a 4SP 700 R4 when all of a sudden 1 ADAM 12 pulled me over. I told him I was late for a date with the IRS about my 1040EZ. He told me to get out of the car and the door creaked so I made a note to put some WD40 or CRC56 on the hinge. Later I noticed I needed some STP 10W30 for my V8 so I added 2 QTS.Om the way home I couldn't find any thing on the FM dial so I inserted a CD and listened to Steeley Dans "FM". That night I watched NYW on PBS at 7:30 P.M.

Jim Becker
01-30-2007, 12:00 PM
SWMBO is She Who Must Be Obeyed. Some lore about a powerful woman who ruled over a bunch of male subjects, and you would be punished for using her name. So all the dudes got together and called her SWMBO.

Wise dudes. And a few of us have Dr. SWMBO to kowtow to... :o

Ben Grunow
01-30-2007, 9:26 PM
Civil Engineering, Matt.

Curt Fuller
01-30-2007, 9:52 PM
Jeffery,

At my house there's no legend or lore about SWMBO. It's just plain and simply my wife. And if you don't obey SWMBO she becomes SWSTRP (She who swings the rolling pin).

Al Willits
01-31-2007, 8:44 AM
I think a good way might be to use the full name the first time around, then the abbreviations.
Might make it easier?

Al

Keith Outten
01-31-2007, 5:32 PM
Please lets consider that we have lots of very young woodworkers here. Woodworking abbreviations are fine, some of the others might not be appreciated by the parents of our younger Members. I know this seems kind of petty to some but it is a decision our Community made when we first went online.