PDA

View Full Version : MM20 Dust Collection

James Jones
01-29-2007, 6:52 PM
Any of you SMC people know where I can purchase a reducer from 5 inch hose to a 4 inch dust port on my MM20 saw? My dust collector uses a 5 inch hose and it fits all my other shop machines. I need something that will slip over the 4 inch port on the saw and increase up to the ID of a 5 inch hose. I checked all lumber and hardware places and nobody locally carries anything larger than a 4 inch in PVC. No adapters avaliable in my area. What did you guys do to get dust removal for your MM16 and MM20 saws? Thanks for any information. I do not have a central system just a portable roll aroung machine I hook up to what ever machine I am using at the time.

James Huntsville, Tx.

Alex Shanku
01-29-2007, 7:08 PM
Something like this??

-- 7-step adapter provides a multitude of dust collection reducing options. Outside diameter sizes include 1", 2", 2-1/2", 3", 4", 5" and 6". Measures 9-1/2" L x 6" W x 6" Deep.

http://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/63570-01-200.jpg

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10472

Jim DeLaney
01-29-2007, 7:11 PM
I used a galvanized heating duct reducer. 5">4". I used mine to step down from my old 1 hp DC inlet to a 4" hose. Not sure how it'd fit a 5" hose, though.

Jim Dailey
01-29-2007, 7:16 PM
Hi James,

I've made shop built reduces out of stacked up scrapes of plywood ( 3 to 4" stacks), simply cut a hole to fit the MM20's dust port od & cut the outside to fit the hose's id, preferably with a tapper to give it a friction fit.

Or you can spin it on a lathe to make the outside tapper fit for the hose.

You can also use this to reduce a dust gate to fit a smaller dust port on a machine.

Hope this helps,
jim

Dave Sabo
01-29-2007, 7:43 PM
Try AHS

http://www.airhand.com/category.asp

they'll have em for @ 24 bucks, or will custom fit if the MM has a metric port for about $30.

I've tried the step downs and I think they are rubbish, they work but not as well as a tapered reducer. You spent a bit of coin on the MM, don't skimp on the accessories to run it properly.

Roy Wall
01-29-2007, 7:45 PM
James -

I think I got it from Oneida. It's a single long taper 5 to 4" diameters. I also had a 6 to 5 to 5 wye made locally from a sheet metal / ductwork supply house locally....give that a shot too- 24 guage sheetmetal...

Pete Brown
01-29-2007, 7:50 PM
Any of you SMC people know where I can purchase a reducer from 5 inch hose to a 4 inch dust port on my MM20 saw? My dust collector uses a 5 inch hose and it fits all my other shop machines. I need something that will slip over the 4 inch port on the saw and increase up to the ID of a 5 inch hose. I checked all lumber and hardware places and nobody locally carries anything larger than a 4 inch in PVC. No adapters avaliable in my area. What did you guys do to get dust removal for your MM16 and MM20 saws? Thanks for any information. I do not have a central system just a portable roll aroung machine I hook up to what ever machine I am using at the time.

FYI. The dust port on the MM bandsaws isn't exactly 4", it's 100mm or something similar. Anything rigid may have a hard time fitting over it. In fact, the 100mm fitting from oneida also won't fit my MM16, even though the MM16 port is sized as advertised.

Pete

Jim O'Dell
01-29-2007, 7:59 PM
Can't tell you about a taper/reducer. I do believe in PVC, it goes from 4" to 6". I've never seen PVC in 5". If you need something slightly larger to help fit a 4" to 5" metal taper or reducer, get a short piece of 4" SD 2729 thin wall PVC(sewer and drain, not the schedule 40 or 80). It is a very tight fit on the MM 100 mm port. Tight enough not to need any sealant!! Might need to bevel the edge after cutting to get it started. Jim.

Roy Wall
01-29-2007, 8:00 PM
FYI. The dust port on the MM bandsaws isn't exactly 4", it's 100mm or something similar. Anything rigid may have a hard time fitting over it. In fact, the 100mm fitting from oneida also won't fit my MM16, even though the MM16 port is sized as advertised.

Pete

This is correct..... I had to cut the fitting from Oneida with sheet metal shears to get a friction fit......
I really wish the port was on the little 'sliding cover' underneath the table - so you could get the DC port closer to the blade guides - I think that's where it should be! Maybe a modification...but I guess is doesn't bother me enough....YET!

Jim Becker
01-29-2007, 8:16 PM
The port on the machine is a 100mm port which is a proverbial hair over 4". Oneida's 4" hose can be stretched over it, so rather than having a big, fat adapter at the machine, use the flex hose and reduce closer to the drop. This is exactly what I did for my MM16 and it works wonderfully. No need to buy an expensive 100mm to 5" adapter, IMHO.

Bruce Page
01-29-2007, 8:39 PM
James, This was my solution for my MM16. I don’t know why it wouldn’t work for the MM20 too.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10090

Opps, I didn't read your post all of the way through.:o
I use a four inch hose to connect to the BS. :rolleyes:

Doug Mason
01-29-2007, 8:45 PM
Bruce--that is a "great" solution! Why didn't I think of that?

Bruce Page
01-29-2007, 8:48 PM
Bruce--that is a "great" solution! Why didn't I think of that?
Not everybody is as lazy as I am...:D

Michael Sloan
01-30-2007, 6:27 PM
Maybe I'm lazy, or don't understand the physics of dust collection, but I simply wrapped the outside of my MM16 dust collectin port with duck tape until my 5 inch flex hose fit with a friction fit. I certainly don't see any negative performance impacts from doing it this way, although I suppose that there could be. Also, it was free and easy, if not very elegant.

Mike

glenn bradley
01-30-2007, 6:37 PM
http://www.ptreeusa.com/dustfittings.htm Part number 438 at Peachtree, $4.50.

Jim Becker
01-30-2007, 8:47 PM
I simply wrapped the outside of my MM16 dust collectin port with duck tape until my 5 inch flex hose fit with a friction fit.

No problem with that, Michael...I used a "duct tape shim" to fit the 120mm to 5" reducer snuggly to the ports on my FS350 J/P, too.