PDA

View Full Version : Get the right tool

Byron Trantham
11-26-2003, 4:10 PM
LOML just gave me my PC piner. Boy what a tool! I've been trying to get away with a brad nailer for applications that really needed a smaller nail. This thing works like a champ. The only nailer that I don't have is a framing nailer and to date I haven't needed one.

Charles McKinley
11-28-2003, 5:38 PM
Hi Byron,

Glad you like the new tool. I hope to evolve to those finer tools. I have a framing nailer and agree that the right tool for the job is esential.

Enjoy!

Jim Becker
11-28-2003, 9:53 PM
Ah, yes...you're gonna love that pinner. Besides using it for the obvious--attachment of very small moldings and parts to projects, I find it very useful for temporary jigging when you want to pull apart quickly and easily when you are done. (One time use jigs) I also use it to "pin" the coped rail and stile joints on cabinet doors so I can un-clamp them quicker. Enjoy.

I did buy a framer for the kitchen project...not something I'll use often but I got a good deal (with a free brad gun). It will come in handy once in awhile I'm sure. One thing about it, though...it requires a lot more air than the small borrowed pancake compressor I was using could deliver. Not all the nails got set fully and had to be given a whack with a real hammer to finish them off.

Jim Guy
11-29-2003, 6:18 AM
I'm still pretty green, like the wood thats driving me nuts. Whats a pinner? Is it the same thing as a brad nailer or finish nailer?
Thanks - Jim

Byron Trantham
11-29-2003, 10:15 AM
I'm still pretty green, like the wood thats driving me nuts. Whats a pinner? Is it the same thing as a brad nailer or finish nailer?
Thanks - Jim
Yes, Jim, it's just another smaller gage nailer (23 Gage). I bought it to attach very small 1/4 round, around a picture frame.

Jim Becker
11-29-2003, 10:35 AM
Whats a pinner? Is it the same thing as a brad nailer or finish nailer?

In addition to Byron's comments, the one unique thing about the pinner over and above the very small size of the fastener is that said fasteners are also headless. They virtually disappear. They also are so tiny they will not split very small moldings, such as cocksbeading, etc. A pinner is a "specialty" tool and not something that should be first in your tool box. But as you build your shop over time, adding one will start to make sense when your projects will benefit from it.

PC and Senco have nice, reasonably priced pinners. There is also a big-bucks alternative available from a company called Omer...

Byron Trantham
11-29-2003, 11:04 AM
Quote form Jim Becker - "In addition to Byron's comments, the one unique thing about the pinner over and above the very small size of the fastener is that said fasteners are also headless. They virtually disappear."

Yea they do IF you put the nails in correctly! :mad: The nails looked the same on both ends but they aren't. My test run left the nails visible, albeit not much. My son was looking at the gun and said, "Hey Dad aren't these in upside down?" Dummy me, the strips had arrows pointing to the pointed end and I had them in upside down. NOW they disappear! :D

Bill Grumbine
11-29-2003, 11:35 AM
My son was looking at the gun and said, "Hey Dad aren't these in upside down?" Dummy me, the strips had arrows pointing to the pointed end and I had them in upside down. NOW they disappear! :D

Byron, you missed an opportunity. You should have looked at him deadpan and said, "No, they're not in upside down, they are for the other side of the board!"

Bill

Jim Becker
11-29-2003, 12:08 PM
...the strips had arrows pointing to the pointed end and I had them in upside down.

Don't fret...I suspect everyone makes this little boo-boo once! DAMHIKT!!

Byron Trantham
11-29-2003, 12:09 PM
Byron, you missed an opportunity. You should have looked at him deadpan and said, "No, they're not in upside down, they are for the other side of the board!"

Bill

Man I sure wish I could think on my feet! :mad: