PDA

View Full Version : Diefenbach style front vise

Barry Daly
01-29-2007, 5:31 PM
Hi All,

Long term lurker, first post.
I am building my second workbench and I am starting to think about the front vise. I'd like to try to make an anti racking device similar to the one found on some Diefenbach benches. I think it is essentially a threaded rod attached to the left hand side of the front vise jaw which is free to move through a hole in the rear jaw as you open or close the vise. There is a disc on the threaded rod which is spun in contact with the rear jaw when you have snugged up the stock you are clamping on the right hand side of the vise. This will prevent the vise from racking. I am tired of looking for a piece of scrap the same thickness as what I am clamping. I first saw this in Lon Schleining's workbench book.

Four questions.....
1. Is my understanding of how this thing works correct?
2. Do people who have the Diefenbach bench like and use this device?
3. Can you buy this attachment anywhere?
4. Has anyone tried to make such a thing themselves? If so, please post any gotchas you found along the way. Photo's would be great.

I have attached a photo I found on Diefenbachs German website that just about shows the wheel that you spin on the left hand side of the front vise.

Great forum. :)

Barry

Roy Wall
01-29-2007, 7:53 PM
Barry,

Welcome to SMC....a great place indeed!!!

1) yes, I think you are correct on how the threaded rod works
2) yes, I believe a gentleman in Laguna Beach uses the vise daily!
3) & 4) - no help, but waiting for an answer too!

lou sansone
01-29-2007, 8:01 PM
I have 2 benches, a ulmia and one I made

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18204

neither us the anti racking device, but I can see why someone would want it
lou

Mark Singer
01-29-2007, 9:19 PM
Barry,
Welcome! I don't who Roy is talking about, but I live in Laguna:confused:
And I happen to have the Dieffenbach Bench with the screw for racking. It works very well. Of course you can trough a block in there...sometimes you need 3 or 4 hands...one for the block...one for the work piece....one for the vice etc.. So its a pretty handy idea. Years ago I used to cut an "L" shaped block that hangs on the vice so you don't have to hold it. The thread goes into the vice and the round washer spins to stop the vice...putting more force on the other side... I imagine it is a 1/2" or 5/8" machine bolt screwed to the bench side of the vise....the large threaded thumb wheel has a recess, drilled with a forstner bit in the moving side of the vise. That is the docking location for the wheel... I will see if I have a photo..

John Schreiber
01-29-2007, 11:04 PM
There was a picture of one of the Diefenbach benches with that vise feature in the recent "Tools and Shops" edition of FWW. I've been pondering that since then for a future bench design. The picture Mark provided helps a lot and is simpler than I had been visualizing.

I would worry though that it would impact on the utility of the vise with its exposed metal face. And, it would take a lot of rotation to move it through any appreciable range.

I had pictured the "washer" having a wood face and using a square cut vise screw or a double threaded screw so that a few turns would move the spacer into place quickly. Unfortunately, adding that much complication makes the whole assembly fairly long and it would be inclined to stick out of all but the thickest vise faces.

Mark Singer
01-29-2007, 11:59 PM
There was a picture of one of the Diefenbach benches with that vise feature in the recent "Tools and Shops" edition of FWW. I've been pondering that since then for a future bench design. The picture Mark provided helps a lot and is simpler than I had been visualizing.

I would worry though that it would impact on the utility of the vise with its exposed metal face. And, it would take a lot of rotation to move it through any appreciable range.

I had pictured the "washer" having a wood face and using a square cut vise screw or a double threaded screw so that a few turns would move the spacer into place quickly. Unfortunately, adding that much complication makes the whole assembly fairly long and it would be inclined to stick out of all but the thickest vise faces.

John,
It is not a problem....when it is not used it is in a recess and does not touch the work. It spins pretty fast also. It is great for holding chair or table legs....the pressure is concentrated on the leg and it holds much better for spokeshave or rasp work...."poppets" are handy as well for leg work

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13804&highlight=poppets

Barry Daly
01-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Hi Mark,

Would you mind measuring the thickness and diameter of the spinning disc and also the diameter and number if threads per inch on the threaded rod.

Really appreciate it,

Barry