PDA

View Full Version : Potential bad motor on delta 560 planer?

Bailey John
01-29-2007, 3:45 PM
A couple of years ago I picked up this slightly used Delta planer. The original knives were still on the first side. Since then I swapped the blades and have planed many board feet of cherry, cypress, oak and walnut. Probably just under 500bdft. It has the dust collector hood and I connect this too my Jet DCK1100 with about 10ft of 4 inch hose and always use DC while planing.

Recently the motor began lower pitch growl upon start up and running. You still get the high pitch whine while feeding stock - I am careful to plane 3/32 or less per pass. So far this weekend I swapped knew knives and blew out as much dust as I could. Wiped down all surfaces with WD40. I checked the brushes and they are fine, lots left there. Has anyone else experienced this issue and beside overhaulin the motor, any suggestions? Could the motor bearings being going bad? There has been smoking motor, yet just the growl.

thanks

Jim W. White
01-29-2007, 4:30 PM
I would take the plastic side pillar guard off and check the drive sprocket. It is fairly common with this model for the sprocket/pulley to come loose; eventually spinning out of control shreading the belt and plastic housing in the process. DAMHIKT :rolleyes:

At any rate it's any easy fix, and the symptoms your describing sound like what my unit developed right before all H*LL broke loose.

Jim in Idaho

Bailey John
01-29-2007, 4:35 PM
Jim,

ah, thanks very much. I will do this tonight. I bought a Wixey over the weekend but didnt want to install it until I figured out what was wrong.