PDA

View Full Version : Laser Has The Shakes

Jerome Klutts
01-29-2007, 2:49 PM
I need help. I have an Epilog 24 EX 75 Watt laser that is about 4 years old. I was doing some engraving yesterday morning when the laser head just went crazy. It shakes the whole machine.

It has happened before but I can usually wait until the shop and the Laser warms up and it goes away. Yesterday it wouldn't go away. I cleaned and adjusted everything I could find but nothing helped.

It only happens when doing raster engraving. Vector cutting still works fine. I also tried several different graphics but at a certain location (about an inch and a half from the top the laser head seems to lose it's place and go nuts trying to find it.

I am preparing an email for Epilog, but I have see so much good advice given on this forum, I thought I would start here.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Jerome

Peck Sidara
01-29-2007, 3:21 PM
I need help. I have an Epilog 24 EX 75 Watt laser that is about 4 years old. I was doing some engraving yesterday morning when the laser head just went crazy. It shakes the whole machine.

It has happened before but I can usually wait until the shop and the Laser warms up and it goes away. Yesterday it wouldn't go away. I cleaned and adjusted everything I could find but nothing helped.

It only happens when doing raster engraving. Vector cutting still works fine. I also tried several different graphics but at a certain location (about an inch and a half from the top the laser head seems to lose it's place and go nuts trying to find it.

I am preparing an email for Epilog, but I have see so much good advice given on this forum, I thought I would start here.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Jerome

Dear Jerome,

There's alot of good people with a ton of information on this forum. I like your idea of starting here but would only recommend it if it were the weekend. Calling tech support at 303.215.9171 is your best bet for an immediate solution. If emailing, you can expect a response shortly but nothing beats calling us while you're at the machine to trouble-shoot. There's plenty of things to check and it may just be some adjustments needed to your machine. Give us a call, we're here to help.

Regards,
Peck Sidara
Epilog Tech Support

Joe Pelonio
01-29-2007, 3:27 PM
We others do try to help when we can but Peck is right, try them first when they are available. I'm thinking x motor/gear/belt but keep us posted when you find out.

Dave Fifield
01-29-2007, 4:57 PM
Sounds like the old "dirty encoder strip" problem to me....but I'll defer to Peck and his guys!

Jerome Klutts
01-30-2007, 9:05 AM
I called Epilog yesterday afternoon and left a message. Peck returned my call about a half hour later. He had read my post and had a pretty good idea of what my problem was.

The belts that move the main bar needed to be tensioned. After having me check out everything else that may cause trouble he gave me instructions on adjusting the belt tension. I was lasering within minutes of hanging up the phone.

This was Tech service at it's best.

Thank You to all who responded to this post

Jerome