PDA

View Full Version : wood working techniques !!

Dick Heifner
01-29-2007, 2:04 PM
Hello All,
What is the woodworking book you always turn to when you need help? I found that "Furniture & Cabinet Construction By Andy Rae " to be the book that always seems to be the one, also " Joinery by Gary Rogowski " is good too. What are your favorites? When all these fail I turn to all of the members here.
Dick

John Stevens
01-29-2007, 3:21 PM
I don't like Andy Rae's book--too many pages for the amount of useful info. Ken Horner's books, on the other hand, have the most useful info of any woodworking books I've seen. Here's a link to Horner's first book:

http://www.amazon.com/Woodworkers-Essential-Facts-Formulas-Short-Cuts/dp/1892836157

For basic cabinet-making, I can't think of any that have as much valuable info as Danny Proulx's books.

Jim Becker
01-29-2007, 3:23 PM
I do use books for inspiration, designs and for learning, but rarely pull them out as a reference. (Posting on SMC is faster...LOL!) But I do have a variety of books on my shelf that can be very useful and on occasion I go splunking into their caves of knowledge. Too many to pick out one or two, unfortunately, but the finishing titles probably get pulled out more as a reference.

Larry Fox
01-29-2007, 3:29 PM
I agree with Jim about the finishing titles. However, SMC is always the very first place I look as I deem the information here highly relevant and accurate. I can't same the same for many books.

Don Bullock
01-29-2007, 3:37 PM
I, too find that the people here are better than a lot of books and much faster as well. The books give me the initial ideas and techniques.

Mark Singer
01-29-2007, 4:11 PM
Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking books 1 and 2...really just one book