PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection questions

Richard Kagen
01-29-2007, 1:24 PM
I have the Delta AP400 650 CFM which I move from machine to machine. I know it is small, but it is what I have until the tool fairy drops an $800 cyclone on my doorstep.

I have 3 questions:

1) Where can I get 1 micro bags to replace the 30 micro ones? Do you use one on top and a plastic bag on the bottom?
2) I drag the hose on the floor from machine assuming that it is more effective than trying to draw the chips and dust up to the ceiling, gravity sucking and all...
3) I am playing with the design for a hood with 2-4 assist fans helping to draw table level dust (sanding, routing) into the hood so the dc hose can draw it down the funnel. I can not see how any level of suction can possible draw dust into a big hood, open at the front. Anyone ever try this?

Jim Becker
01-29-2007, 3:28 PM
1) American Filter Fabric
2) Gravity has no bearing...dust collection is all about moving air. The more air you move, the more material you move. The weight of the material is, well...pretty much immaterial...to the process
3) I'm having trouble picturing what you are talking about in my mind...a sanding table may be better served with it's own blower and filtration

glenn bradley
01-29-2007, 3:38 PM
What Jim said except for item 3. I hae the same unit but with 3 micron bags. I have a 'big gulp' hood and it works surprisingly well when positioned adjacent to the piece I am power sanding. It would not however, suck up chips from a router for example. Only dust, it doesn't move that much air.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-29-2007, 3:49 PM
1. Penn State Industries offers 1 micron bags as they claim them to be. There is also an ebay site for a company in NJ that makes them inexpensively. In fact, I believe they make them for Penn State Ind. There are other companies that also sell 1 or 2 micron bags including Grizzly and JDS Company.

2. As Jim stated, gravity isn't a consideration. However, try to avoid long runs of flex duct especially when using 4" dia flex duct. Also, avoid tight bends.

3. Dust collectors generate relatively low flow at high pressure. However, large dust hoods and sanding tables require a lot of flow at low pressure. This is why commercial and homemade sanding tables use blowers similar to those on household heating and air conditioning systems. A typical 2hp dust collector could probably not effectively support a hood larger than 18x12.

-Jeff :)