PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Monograms

Robert Rosensteel
01-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Hello Everyone
Would anyone know of a website or software that offers Monograms for engraving? I guess in a vector format would work best. And has anyone used any of gravograph rotorary machines like the is400g(New Hermes)?I have read alot of the treads and can't find anyone engraving metal, deep not just marking it with a laser.So I am torn between laser and rotor machines at this time. Any help with this would be great. Thanks Robert

Dave Jones
01-29-2007, 12:49 PM
I think most monograms are simply created by placing 3 letters of a fancy font next to each other. In some cases the center initial is larger, and in those cases it is the initial of the last name. For example, somebody with the initials DRJ would have either "DRJ" in the same font size, or "DJR" with the "J" larger.

Here's a graphic of common types of monograms:

http://www.raru.com/sketches/berling/berlingpg97.jpg

Some fancy monograms have intertwined letters. Those would have to be custom created based on the person's actual initials.

Carl Sewell
01-29-2007, 7:49 PM
Have you tried HaroldsFonts.com? He has a whole bunch that are true-type fonts for $5 individually. There's a special key sequence to get the monogram, but they are true-type fonts and can be treated as such.

Mike Null
01-29-2007, 8:57 PM
The link will show you some monogram fonts which can be done with a pantograph. Some of them are quite expensive but you can get an idea of what the old traditional monograms looked like. http://www.shorinternational.com/EngravingType.htm

James A. Wolfe
01-29-2007, 9:07 PM
Robert,
I got a couple of fonts from Haroldsfonts and they work well. Most monograms aren't just taller in the center. The first letter is generally slanted from left to right getting larger as it progresses, the center is even from side to side and the third is reduced in size as it progresses. This is a common round or oval monogram. Others may be more complex using drawings, symbols or other decoration. I bought a CD of fancy letters from Dover but you'll have to vectorize them unless you scan and use as rasters.
Jim

Robert Rosensteel
02-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks to everyone on there quick answers, Went to the website that was suggested. Thanks again.