PDA

View Full Version : Shop Visitor - Martin Shupe!

Todd Burch
11-26-2003, 2:37 PM
I was blessed by Martin Shupe's company for most of the morning today. He's in town to see relatives and managed to squeek out some time to come by "the shop." A super nice guy. He brought his new smoother plane and I put him to work with it too! (If he could have only stayed longer... :D ) Thanks for coming by Martin, I enjoyed the time!

The first picture is me & Martin (on the right). (Apologize for the wife's "shaky" camera). The second is Martin giving his Ray Iles smoother a work out on some mahogany. That's a niiiiiice plane. He let me test drive it.

Noah Alkinburgh
11-26-2003, 3:46 PM
Man a guy comes to visit and you put him to work...I know where I wont be visiting if I ever get to Katy TX ;)

You know I was expecting a sketchup drawing of the work he did too :D

Seriously, its always fun to get visitors, thanks for sharing the pics.

Noah

Jim Becker
11-26-2003, 4:25 PM
Man a guy comes to visit and you put him to work...

I knew I forgot something on Sunday when you stopped by! :D

I'm hoping that Martin can visit here sometime in his regular travels...nice fellow and does great work from what I saw when I was in Dallas recently. I'd also love to see Todd's work up close and personal...he's a real pro.

Noah Alkinburgh
11-26-2003, 4:57 PM
I knew I forgot something on Sunday when you stopped by! :D

Yeah, seems to me that Tom put you to work. Moving tree trunks, and sharpening gouges :D

Noah

Jim Becker
11-26-2003, 5:02 PM
Yeah, seems to me that Tom put you to work. Moving tree trunks, and sharpening gouges

Seems like I got a good deal with Tom...a few minutes of re-shaping and sharpening in exchange for an exquisitely large hunk of box elder is a pretty good exchange, especially since I let the magic of hydraulics pick it up out of your van and put it in "storage"! But I did get to take your picture without a hat on you...hee hee Oh, yea, I now have more room in my shop...thanks for giving that planer a great new home! :D

Martin Shupe
11-26-2003, 9:17 PM
I was blessed by Martin Shupe's company for most of the morning today. He's in town to see relatives and managed to squeek out some time to come by "the shop." A super nice guy. He brought his new smoother plane and I put him to work with it too! (If he could have only stayed longer... :D ) Thanks for coming by Martin, I enjoyed the time!

Thank you, Todd. I enjoyed our time together as well. Thanks for helping me sharpen the plane, and showing me how to use it properly. Now I just need to go home and practice, practice, practice.

I can verify that Todd does outstanding work; the highest quality in every respect. I have several more years of "apprenticeship" before I will come close to his level of craftsmanship.

Todd also spent some time showing me sketchup. WOW! What an awesome program! In about 15 minutes, he drew up a shaker style table, with tapered legs and everything. It is another "tool" I will have to acquire someday, before I build the built-ins for my "dream" office.

Todd was a most gracious host, and even sent me home with a nice piece of mahogany that I can turn into some shaker knobs. Thanks again for the visit and the wood. Don't forget you are always welcome at my place.

Tom Sweeney
11-26-2003, 9:27 PM
an apprentice :D Did he get all the frames done for you Todd?
Sounds like you guys had a great visit - always fun to meet fellow creekers :cool:

Noah - I didn't put Jim to too much work - just because I turned my good bowl gouge into a something resembling a hooked captured ring tool & he had to straighten it out :rolleyes:

Hey Jim I saw your old planer earlier tonight - not sure if a "good home" is quite accurate though :p ;) At least my gouges didn't get sold on ebay though - right Noah.