PDA

View Full Version : Natural edge QSWO

Brian Hale
01-29-2007, 4:17 AM
I'm considering incorporating a natural edge QSWO top in my next project. I'd need a piece ~24" x ~160" x 5/4 min.

Is this feasible? Anything bad about the natrual edge?

TIA!!
Brian :)

Hans Braul
01-29-2007, 6:32 AM
What is QSWO?

Keith Starosta
01-29-2007, 7:20 AM
I do believe that would be Quarter Sawn White Oak...:D

- Keith

Gary Keedwell
01-29-2007, 7:29 AM
[quote=Brian QSWO top in my next project. I'd need a piece ~24" x ~160" x 5/4 min.

Is this feasible? Anything bad about the natrual edge?

TIA!!
Brian :)[/quote]
Brian, 24" wide QSWO? I don't think I have ever seen a board that wide quarter sawn because of how they cut it from the log. It would have to be one huge oak tree.
Gary K.

Bill Simmeth
01-29-2007, 8:31 AM
Actually, a slab cut through the center of the log will produce mostly quartersawn figure as it is perpendicular to the growth rings. This will give you bark on both edges if that is what you're looking for. You'll also have the pith (but I believe that is minor on white oak). You may have to have it custom cut. I'd call Hearne in PA and talk to them about your project.

Brian Hale
01-29-2007, 4:28 PM
Yes, it's a big slab. Groff and Groff can't help but Hearne Hardwoods said they'd get back to me today or tomorrow.

Any idea what price to expect?

Bob Lang
01-29-2007, 4:45 PM
an arm and a leg

Greg Cole
01-29-2007, 5:00 PM
Plug for TALARICO HARDWOOS (http://www.talaricohardwoods.com/index.html). They are the kings of QSWO, and offer numerous types of European imported stuff that might be in the size range you are looking for... but with highly specialized requests come highly specialized prices.

Greg

Brian Hale
01-29-2007, 5:32 PM
Thanks Greg, i sent them an email.

Jeff Patrick
01-29-2007, 10:04 PM
I've dealt with natural edges on other species a few times and have encountered no difficulties. If you want to keep the bark there is probably a certain time of year that's best for cutting the tree. Also, the drying process ought to be considered. I've never had the opportunity to specify these things, so have no experience there. I've stabilized the bark by using copious amounts of CA adhesive. Both the thin and thick formulations are useful. The CA will leave a gloss finish but that can be tempered by rubbing out with steel wool or even a stainless steel wire brush. (It's on bark, remember.)

I removed the bark on a recent walnut slab project but kept the natural wany edge. There is an amazing amount of interesting forms that lie just under the bark. A wire wheel on a die grinder was very helpful in removing everything that I didn't want.