PDA

View Full Version : The lathe does exist

Wayne Bitting
01-28-2007, 10:06 PM
I gloated on Wednesday about my new lathe but didn’t have any pics, well the lathe does exist! What a difference turning on this lathe verses the ShopSmith. I always wanted to blame myself for not being able to turn curls (and only get dust) but in the back of my head I always wondered if it was the machine. Got this baby on the bench and within minutes of firing it up I was getting curls! Skew, no problem, scraper, no problem. I can’t wait to start spinning bigger wood and just seeing the difference, maybe I do know how to turn after all! When turning the buffalo horn I got curls that were 18 inches long, that made for easy clean-up! The horn was wet sanded to MM 3600, CA then wet sanded again and polished.

Jonathon Spafford
01-28-2007, 11:14 PM
Those are beauties... I love the look of the horn! Congrats on the lathe!

Bernie Weishapl
01-28-2007, 11:39 PM
Congrats on the lathe Wayne. Mighty fine looking pens there also. Horn really looks good.

Bob Noles
01-29-2007, 6:27 AM
Wayne,

Beautiful horn and a nice job of turning. Those little PSI lathes are nice. I had one and loved it.

Steve Schlumpf
01-29-2007, 8:43 AM
Wayne - congrats on the lathe! Really nice looking pens! Do you have to take any additional precautions when working with horn? I figure like wood dust - it can't be good for you either.

Skip Spaulding
01-30-2007, 5:47 PM
Nice lathe, very nice pens! That horn looks really nice.

Doug Collins
01-30-2007, 6:39 PM
Nice Pens! I've got the non-VS version of that lathe and I really like it. I got the bed extension, but really don't use it for anything but a parking spot for my tailstock when I'm faceturning.

Ernie Nyvall
01-30-2007, 7:53 PM
Very nice pens Wayne and congrats on the lathe!!

John Chandler
01-30-2007, 8:25 PM
Nice going on the pens. When you bought the lathe, did they inform you it would get dirty if you used it? :rolleyes: Congrats on the lathe too.