PDA

View Full Version : Tips on buying a miter saw?

Hans Loeblich
01-28-2007, 10:02 PM
I am interested in getting a miter saw but I am very new to woodworking, so I hardly even know what I need. I don't think I will be cutting any huge capacities that would merit a sliding one. Right now I mostly just want to be able to cut 2x4s and 4x4s easily and accurately, with decent dust collection.

Can anyone recommend brands/models?

I would like pay right around or less than $200 if possible. I don't mind buying used as long as it still works well. Are there any particular things to look out for if buying used? They have all kinds in the local pawn shops.
I had my eye on a used DW705 for $150, but didn't want to just jump into buying something without doing a little research first.

I don't even understand what a dual bevel is.:o

Darrin Davis
01-28-2007, 10:16 PM
I bought a 12" dewalt miter saw (reconditioned) that works great for about $100. This was through a tool club but I bet you could find one for under $200 and I would't worry about quality if dewalt reconditioned it. If you don't know what a dual bevel is then don't worry about it. You'll probably never use it.

Dan Clark
01-28-2007, 10:24 PM
I have the Bosch SCMS. Great saw. The only issue is the dust collection - it's fair. The Makita is an excellent saw too. Both will cut 4X6's and 2X12's pretty easily.

The older Dewalt's are OK. Avoid the new replacements, especially the DW718.

Dan.

Hans Loeblich
01-29-2007, 12:14 AM
Well, I've been looking at more reviews and models. I am pretty sure at this point that I want a 12" non-sliding miter saw.

Some models in consideration so far:
Makita ls1221
Bosch 3912
Dewalt 705

From the reviews I've seen, the Makita sounds like the most accurate/solid saw of the bunch. I already have a fair number of other makita tools, and have not been disappointed by one yet. Looks like it is going for $265 on amazon. I saw a site that was selling reconditioned ones for $214. Hmm.

James Jones
01-29-2007, 12:56 AM
Dan,

Why would you not recommend the DW718 slider?

James

Noah Katz
01-29-2007, 1:19 AM
I just got a Delta 36-412, which is a dual bevel nonslider, which I wanted because the head has much less lateral deflection than a slider.

It's quite unique and impressive.

The motor is vertical, giving great visibility and helps allow greater capacity than any other - it will crosscut 2x10 and 4x8.

It has two tall reversible upper fences that adjust with a tooless spring clamp, and a special flip up thingie for supporting crown molding.

I haven't made a cut yet, but reviews on Amazon said the 60T Delta blade was pretty good.

There's a bunch on ebay for $370 shipped. The seller bought the last 190 units that Delta had; the 36-412 and 422L (same but with lasers) have been discontinued and Delta will no longer be making miter saws.

I couldn't find a 422L anywhere, so I ordered a Laserkerf, which I think I'll like better anyway.

I think I overpaid; he's only sold a couple in a few weeks, and I'll bet if you write him that it's overpriced compared to what else is out there, he'll lower the price.

He originally had shipping at $50, I told him it was too much, and he immediately lowered it to $20.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-29-2007, 7:25 AM
I'd take a look at Amazon's recon DW 716. It has a double bevel, back fence that will cut 10" boards, 6 1/8" tall cutting capacity in the back half of the blade area, detent overrides, laser compatibility for $276 delivered.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-29-2007, 11:47 AM
I have no specific brand recommendations to offer...just some generic thoughts:

1. A 12" blade is important because it can handle 2x6 lumber as well as 1x6 dimensional lumber for door jambs and toe kicks.

2. If you plan on moving it around, a saw with a cast aluminum frame is the best choice. A sliding compound miter is very heavy (and costly)

3. Compound miter is nice, but adds some wobble to the machine versus a non-compound miter. However, compound miter saws are convenient when you need to back bevel a molding a degree or two for a tight fit. Most all saws now-in-days are compound miter anyway.

4. Dust collection is mostly via a bag. It works about 50% on the saws I have used. The miter saw I have in my shop is semi-permanent so I have a vacuum hooked to it which had a round port on it. I still had to hand make a bushing though. So, you may want to look if the saw can reasonably accept a vacuum hose if it is used indoors at your home.

cheers, Jeff :)

brian lanning
01-29-2007, 1:31 PM
Can anyone recommend brands/models?

I would like pay right around or less than $200 if possible.

I have the porter cable 3802L, but that's more than the price you mentioned. I think there's a delta version of the same saw, but I don't have the model number handy and it probably costs the same.

I haven't missed the slider at all. And when I was shopping for one, I noticed that the non-sliders had a lot less delfection than the sliders.

The one I have has the lasers. I sort of considered them a gimick initially. I still don't completely trust them. But one nice thing about the lasers is that they're like a safety feature. If the machine is casting a bright laser on your fingers, you know they're in the way.

brian

Dan Clark
01-29-2007, 4:01 PM
Dan,
Why would you not recommend the DW718 slider?
James

The big issue for me was the soft head. Pull the DW718's head all the way out and press sideways a bit. The head moves easily.

Now do the same with a Bosch 4410L or Makita LS1013. Yes, you can get them to move a bit, but you have to use a LOT more sideways pressure.

Overall the quality is not as good as it's predecessors. Take a look at the castings.

In general, these are known issues raised by several reviews. I confirmed these issues in a side-by-side test at Western Tool in Woodinville, WA. DW718 - 4410L - LS1013.

There are rumors floating about that Dewalt is already coming out with a new model to replace the DW718.

Note that one fellow who bought the DW718 to replace his DW708 challenged my points saying that he was happy with it. Then, a few weeks ago, he had problems with his DW718 and had to take it to the Dewalt repair center. The Dewalt tech told him that other DW718 users had problems too.

Do a web search and a forum search for the reviews and comments.

Dan.

Noah Katz
01-29-2007, 10:59 PM
"Compound miter is nice, but adds some wobble to the machine versus a non-compound miter."

I wouldn't think it's much. The bevel pivot is clamped solid one the angle is set, unlike the head pivot which has to be free to move.

That reminds me, another thing I like about the Delta is that there's an adjusting not for the pivot tightness, which I didn't see on any of the saws in the store.

"Now do the same with a Bosch 4410L or Makita LS1013."

I've done that to a couple of LS1013's on display and it's many times more (looks like nearly 1/8") than the Delta and some other nonsliders I tried.

Hans Loeblich
01-30-2007, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. I have decided to go ahead and get the Makita ls1221. It ended up costing me more than my initial goal of 200, but I think the extra cost wil be worth it. Based on the reviews I have seen, I'm convinced that it's the best saw in it's class.