PDA

View Full Version : Box Just Completed Today – Pic

Glen Blanchard
01-28-2007, 9:21 PM
I just completed this box this afternoon. The coke can is not part of the box, and is not some exotic wood. It is there to aid in determining scale. The carcass is jatoba, the drawer fronts are quilted maple, while the legs, drawer pulls and tray are cherry. Finish is Waterlox followed by the Beall buffing system.

I routed out the recess (barely visible in the pic) in the tray as I wanted to make the tray out of a single board with no glue-ups. I will never do THAT again. Sheesh. Of course my 5” ROS would not get into the corners and that left TONS of tedious hand sanding. I bet I stood in front of that tray sanding by hand for 2 hours. Next time I do something like this, I’ll glue it together.

Thanks for looking.

http://smilesrus.com/woodworking3/IMG_0214_2.jpg

Jim Fox
01-28-2007, 9:25 PM
Alright, I give up...........selling my tools.

Don Bullock
01-28-2007, 9:27 PM
Beautiful!!!! The design and wood choice are excellent along with the craftsmanship. Well done!

Jim Dunn
01-28-2007, 9:31 PM
Me too. Sheesh such workmanship, beautiful in every detail and design.

Terry Fogarty
01-28-2007, 9:34 PM
As usual Great stuff Molarman :D :D Well done;)

Bruce Page
01-28-2007, 9:36 PM
Very nice!

Jake Helmboldt
01-28-2007, 9:41 PM
Alright, I give up...........selling my tools.

No kidding! There is no way I could reproduce a Coke can like that.:p

Nice maple on that. Were the drawers all cut from one piece?

Ben Roman
01-28-2007, 9:50 PM
I think this is a terrible example of work! :) I think you should send it to me right away so I can fix it ! ;)

Ben

Glen Blanchard
01-28-2007, 10:28 PM
No kidding! There is no way I could reproduce a Coke can like that.:p

Nice maple on that. Were the drawers all cut from one piece?

Thanks Jake. Yes, the drawer fronts were all cut from one piece. HOWEVER, I screwed up there. I did not have a sufficiently wide board from which to derive the 6 drawer fronts. Sooooooo, I resawed the board and had a very nice bookmatch from which to make the 6 drawers - which made them continuous. Then I started milling them. The drawer fronts (although it may not be readily visible in the image) are bowed. After they were cut to proper dimensions and I had the mortise for the drawer pull in place, I took the first drawer front to the router table to mill the bow. When completed, I realized that I had milled the "inside" of the drawer fronts rather than the outside. @!$#%$ !!!!! After calming down, I decided to push on, even though this would mess up the continuity of all four drawer fronts. Thus, as it now is, the top 3 drawers are continuous as are the bottom 3, but there is a "break" between drawer 3 and drawer 4. I still get aggrevated just thinking about it.

Corey Hallagan
01-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Very nice Glen, another great piece.

Corey

JayStPeter
01-28-2007, 10:37 PM
Very nice ... and good choice of refreshment.

John Michaels
01-28-2007, 10:44 PM
That is a very nice work of art. i love figured maple.

Tim Dorcas
01-28-2007, 10:56 PM
What an awesome piece of craftmanship. It is quite inspiring. I can't wait to see what you do next!

Martin Shupe
01-28-2007, 11:16 PM
Wow! That is a stunning piece of work!

Gary Keedwell
01-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Beautiful example of craftsmenship. I think the proportions are just right, too.

Gary K.;)

John Schreiber
01-29-2007, 12:18 AM
I realized that I had milled the "inside" of the drawer fronts rather than the outside. @!$#%$ !!!!!

Here I am wondering how he managed to get the grain to have that swirled look and I find out that it was all a mistake. I should have such mistakes.

jonathan snyder
01-29-2007, 1:39 AM
WOW, Very nice job. I'm inspired!

Jonathan

Hans Braul
01-29-2007, 6:43 AM
Glen,

That's a truly beautiful piece. The discontinuity in the grains on the drawers is only evident when it's pointed out. It works beautifully as is. I understand where you're coming from though! Sometimes when I have a particular idea in mind and it doesn't work out, it's enough to drive me around the bend! If I recall, "quilted" maple like this is soft maple, correct? How did you join the drawers? What is the end use going to be? It works beautifully just as a piece of art, but I assume it's to hold jewellry?

Great Work
Hans

Jeffrey Makiel
01-29-2007, 7:09 AM
There has been some really exemplary work being posted on this forum recently...and it continues with this piece!

I really like the design. It looks like something that should be on the back cover of Fine Woodworking Magazine. The craftmanship is wonderful!

Very inspiring to me. Thanks for posting your work.
-Jeff :)

Jeffrey Makiel
01-29-2007, 7:11 AM
By the way...that's some nice photography work too!
-Jeff :)

Kelly C. Hanna
01-29-2007, 7:19 AM
Absolutely gorgeous Glen!

Jim Becker
01-29-2007, 9:31 AM
Fabulous, Glenn. Outstanding in every way!

Dennis Peacock
01-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Beautiful and a very nice choice of woods. Most Excellent!!!! :D

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-29-2007, 1:24 PM
Nice box of drawers

Brian Knodel
01-29-2007, 1:27 PM
I can’t think of anything to say that other have not already said in better words than I can think of.

WOW

Brian

everett lowell
01-29-2007, 4:32 PM
Alright, I give up...........selling my tools.Me too ! Every time I think I'm gettin' good at this stuff... I see work like this! I'm taking up golf! lol :D Great job! I would expect to see this in one of Krenov's books!

john hanes
01-29-2007, 7:36 PM
Thanks for letting me know that you too make dumb mistakes. I have made so many mistakes on a simple jewelry box that I am working on that I wanted to toss it out, but it was already promised to someone and I have had to find fixes for all of my stupidity.

Thanks Jake. Yes, the drawer fronts were all cut from one piece. HOWEVER, I screwed up there. I did not have a sufficiently wide board from which to derive the 6 drawer fronts. Sooooooo, I resawed the board and had a very nice bookmatch from which to make the 6 drawers - which made them continuous. Then I started milling them. The drawer fronts (although it may not be readily visible in the image) are bowed. After they were cut to proper dimensions and I had the mortise for the drawer pull in place, I took the first drawer front to the router table to mill the bow. When completed, I realized that I had milled the "inside" of the drawer fronts rather than the outside. @!$#%$ !!!!! After calming down, I decided to push on, even though this would mess up the continuity of all four drawer fronts. Thus, as it now is, the top 3 drawers are continuous as are the bottom 3, but there is a "break" between drawer 3 and drawer 4. I still get aggrevated just thinking about it.

Dave Bonde
01-29-2007, 7:41 PM
That is fantastic!! thanks for sharing. Dave

rodney mitchell
01-29-2007, 8:54 PM
Hey Glen, that looks fantastic.

Rodney

Michael Gabbay
01-29-2007, 9:38 PM
Wow that looks GREAT! I really like how you got everything so round and cylindrical shaped. Plus the coloring is really super. I'd say it's an exact replica of a Coke can! :D :D

That is a really cool box. VERY nice!

Adam Burgess
01-29-2007, 9:44 PM
Looks great, and done with quality craftmanship. Very artistic.

You know its art when a majority of the space it takes up is completly useless.