PDA

View Full Version : Band saw cleanup-what's best?

Karl Stewart
01-28-2007, 7:19 PM
While upgrading/ replacing my bandsaw blade, I noticed a slight build up on the rubber from sawdust. I'd like to know what's the best cleaner. I do have the small brushes installed to help diminish the problem. I've probably got some pitch/sap on there from some 'less than seasoned' pine.
While we are on the subject (perhaps a stupid question), should I loosen the tension on the blade when I'm done for the day? Would that increase longevity? Keep in mind that when I'm done it's usually for a week at a time.

Thanx in advance...

Karl

glenn bradley
01-28-2007, 7:37 PM
You'll get two camps on the de-tensioning. I do it. As for softening sap or other organic goo, citrus based cleaners do a nice job without hurting the rubber.

Jim Becker
01-28-2007, 9:03 PM
I try to detension after use. For one period of time, I didn't and that was the only time I've ever had a blade snap in the shop before it was dull enough to throw away.

Richard Keller
01-28-2007, 9:42 PM
A little dish soap and warm water and some elbow grease will take most of that buildup off. If that's not enough, something gentle.

As for de-tensioning the blade, definitely two schools of thought. One school says that de-tensioning will extend the blade life, that pressure and stretching the blade leads to eventual SNAP!

Other school says, "it's not a scroll saw, don't try to cut a 1/4" radius with that 1/2" blade" (This is where I am) I haven't ever (knock on wood) broken a blade in 10 years that I have had a bandsaw in my shop. I have worn the teeth off of a few though. I don't bother de-tensioning the blade, too much effort.

Having said that though -- your not hurting anything by de-tensioning. I don't know of any arguments that this will damage anything long term, even though the benefits may be questionable. - So basically, if you feel better doing it - then do it.

Richard.

Ron Jones near Indy
01-29-2007, 8:16 PM
Would releasing the tension on the blade allow longer bearing and/or tire life? Just a thought. Seems somewhat logical, but I'm not sure.:confused: