PDA

View Full Version : Best woodworking magazine to subscribe to?

Luke McFadden
01-28-2007, 6:52 PM
I'm interested in subscribing to a general woodworking magazine, but I'm not sure which one. I'm new to woodworking, so something on the general side would be nice. I've mainly got hand tools right now, but I would like to get some power tools soon when my budget allows. I'm interested in building shelves, tables, boxes, and the like.

Recommendations and why?

Luke

Pete Brown
01-28-2007, 6:55 PM
"Wood" and "Popular Woodworking" are both good and general. American Woodworker is good too.

Fine Woodworking and Woodwork both tend to be inspiring. My favorite tends to be Fine Woodworking.

There are tons of others, but those are the ones I see around the most.

Pete

Karl Stewart
01-28-2007, 7:05 PM
As a relatively new woodworker myself, I would recommend Shop notes. Good tips and excellent illustrations. mostly dedicated to building your shop. Methods, joinery and usually budget concious with NO advertisements.

You've already made the best move by joining the creek!

Karl

Jim Thiel
01-28-2007, 7:09 PM
As a general woodworking magazine, I think Popular Woodworking is a fine choice. I just reached into the archives (botton drawer of the filing cabinet) and pulled out June 2005. "Build better bookcases" looks like what you are wanting to build. A box with selves.:)

Jim

Larry Anderson
01-28-2007, 7:15 PM
I like WOOD as a general type mag and subscribe to Woodsmith for projects.

Larry

glenn bradley
01-28-2007, 7:16 PM
I've only been at this about 2 years and I still enjoy Shop Notes and Woodsmith. they are put out by the same people and have a common look and feel but do not overlap. They deal with a lot of shop tips, organization, tool tips, etc. They also have projects for the beginner and have a hierloom quality piece now and again. Best part? No ads. Completely subscription supported. Check 'em out on the web.

No association, just like the mags.

P.s. I dropped Workbench as it has slowly moved into more of a DIY homeowners sorta thing, IMHO.

Dave Falkenstein
01-28-2007, 7:31 PM
Wood Magazine for me. A nice balance of tips, projects and informative articles.

Mark Singer
01-28-2007, 7:33 PM
Fine Woodworking and Woodwork....those are the only two I get

JayStPeter
01-28-2007, 7:36 PM
I think Wood is good for starting out. When you outgrow it, move on to Popular Woodworking and Fine Woodworking.

Joe Unni
01-28-2007, 8:01 PM

Ditto. I actually let the rest of my other subscriptions run out.

Greg Stanford
01-28-2007, 8:10 PM
Popular Woodworking runs tool reviews fairly often & if you're going to be buying it's good to know what's out there. Shop Notes will have plans for jigs & small projects that are good to get started on. After you're pretty confortable w/ what you're doing, Fine Woodworking.

Just my 2 cents.

g

Jim Becker
01-28-2007, 8:26 PM

Ditto for me at this point. I used to get more, but there was a lot of duplication of articles/reviews between them and the type of projects were not things I was interested in. So I discontinued my subscriptions to them as they ran out. 6 years ago, FW wouldn't have stuck with me, but as I've progressed in my skills, it's a much closer match now to my interests. As much as I like the people at WOOD Magazine, some of whom I consider friends, I was finding too much redundancy with past issues as well as with competitors. However, I think it's a great magazine, especially for those who are new to woodworking or are doing basic skill building. It's also great for folks who want project ideas and plans, rather than "rolling their own".

Bob Hoffmann
01-28-2007, 8:30 PM
All of the suggested magazines are good -- but they all depend on where your skill are and what you are thinking about at the time.

I would just go to the local book store -- Borders, Barnes and Nobel, Books a Million -- are good choices. Then look through the magazines and buy the one that you want to keep and has the articles that fit your skill.

If you always buy on magazine and do it every month, then a subscription is right. But you may find that different magazines have articles that you want to have -- so your collection will grow with what you want -- not necessarily what a particular magazine has decided to publish.

Chris Dodge
01-28-2007, 8:53 PM
Woodsmith is the best for beginners. It is full of good projects to teach you basic methods of work and explains very well every step you need to take in order to complete the project.

Rod Sheridan
01-28-2007, 9:21 PM
I think that Fine Woodworking is the best publication. You won't outgrow it, and it will always teach you new things, and inspire you to become a better woodworker.

Regards, Rod.

Rick Potter
01-29-2007, 1:28 AM
I just saw American Woodworker for $5 per year and Wood for (I think) $15.

Rick Potter

Dewayne Reding
01-29-2007, 7:43 AM
Another new guy here. I ordered Wood Magazine off ebay, mostly because it was about 10 bucks for year. It's a good starter mag. I can see why these guys grew out of it though. Tool reviews every month wich I like. Be mindful of the rating system though. All rated tools are Great-Greater-Greatest. Wouldn't want to make a current/future sponsor mad. :)

Randal Stevenson
01-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Don't forget your public library.

Art Davis
01-29-2007, 11:11 AM
I subscribe to eight or ten different mags. As a beginner, I think Shop Notes and Woodsmith are the best for me. Wood is good for its tool reviews. On that subject, beware! Most of the mag reviews are more like commercials than a Consumer's Reports. Fine Woodworking, though undeniably good, is beyone my reach. When my reach is somewhere in the same balkpark as my aspirations, I will subscribe to it.

Art

Michael Gibbons
01-29-2007, 11:46 AM
I think most of the ww'ing mags assume that you already have some basic to intermediate knowledge of the craft so afew basic beginning ww'ing books may be in order first.

.............Mike

Ted Calver
01-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Fine Woodworking and Woodwork for me...plus at least once a month a visit to the local Barnes and Noble to thumb through all of the other mags....then if there is a particularly good article or issue I'll buy it. For me the majority of mags are hit or miss and I like the ability to thumb through them before I spend money on them.

Bill Weiher
01-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Minor thread hijack here guys but directly related I promise.

So what are the best ways you guys store/keep all of those previous editions of magazines? I have piles and a few cardboards boxes that I currently use but those slipcovers that FW sells looks nice but are a little $teep for what they are (my .02). What are some solutions you guys use to manage/store/organize magazines?

Steve Kellogg
01-29-2007, 1:05 PM

So what are the best ways you guys store/keep all of those previous editions of magazines? I have piles and a few cardboards boxes that I currently use but those slipcovers that FW sells looks nice but are a little $teep for what they are (my .02). What are some solutions you guys use to manage/store/organize magazines?

David Marks made this magazine storage unit on Woodworks the other day.

http://images.scrippsweb.com/DIY/2003/09/18/wwk408_4cb_e.jpg

Richard Barkley
01-29-2007, 1:38 PM
I recommend Woodsmith for the following reason. They present plans for a few projects along with cutting diagrams. If there is a fairly difficult (for a beginner) procedure included as part of the project, they will often have a separate "how-to" section describing one or more ways to complete the dificult portion of the project. I like that because some projects often raise more questions than I can answer without a little more research.

Jim Tobias
01-29-2007, 2:14 PM
As many have stated in one way or another, different magazines offer many different things for woodworkers at different stages of skill development. I have subscribed and read all of them and subscribe to many of them to this day. Fine Woodworking and Woodwork are my favorites. But I would suggest subscribing to a couple of the other ( Wood or Popular Woodworking at first, but revisit Fine Woodworking and Woodworks often (at the Library) so as to keep you thinking out of the box in terms of design and skill development. The other magazines could keep you locked in as they do tend to repaet the same type of stuff year after year. This is in no way a put down of the other magazines (as I said, I still subscribe to many of them), but you will find after a year or so, you will want something new.

IMHO,

Jim

rodney mitchell
01-29-2007, 9:10 PM
Bill, for storage I use the plastic slipcovers that the magazine will slip down into and then it clips nicely into a 3 ring binder. Pretty cheap way to do it. BTW, I picked up a copy of Fine Homebuilding at Walmart and it had a gob of cool woodworking stuff in it. Kind of pricey though.

Rodney

Nancy Laird
01-29-2007, 9:51 PM
David Marks made this magazine storage unit on Woodworks the other day.

http://images.scrippsweb.com/DIY/2003/09/18/wwk408_4cb_e.jpg

Hubby and I make these boxes and sell them as well as using them. At last count, we have 37 of them in the office full of magazines, and we need to make more for our own supply. We've also sold about 50 of them to lawyers, a psychologist, and a bookcase full to a seamstress for her patterns and books. They are relatively easy and quick to make (if you have a GOOD box-joint jig), and they'll last until your grandchildren are grandparents.

As far as magazines, Wood, Woodsmith, Shop Notes, and FWW make it into our mailbox every month. For projects, Wood and Woodsmith are the choices; Shop Notes is great for stuff for the shop, and FWW is read for techniques and finishing tips.

Nancy

Chuck Nickerson
01-29-2007, 10:02 PM
I have complete sets of nine WW magazines and am working on filling in two others. Our local Office Deot has plastic magazine files which work well for me. They're not too expensive and take labels well.

Jeffrey Schronce
01-29-2007, 11:42 PM
I would hold out for the great deals that can be had on a lot of these magazines (advertising driven mags). You will find these deals posted on this site, as well as on Ebay. Currently you can get 1 year of Wood for $7 on Ebay. Those magazines not accepting advertising are usually pretty static in price. Same for FWW.

Ernie Hobbs
01-30-2007, 9:55 AM
I subscribe to Fine Woodworking and Woodshop News. The good thing about Woodshop News is that it is a free subscription. I also find the FWW online version very helpful- you can download a lot of their old articles into a .pdf file.

Art Davis
01-30-2007, 10:30 AM
Hubby and I make these boxes and sell them as well as using them. At last count, we have 37 of them in the office full of magazines, and we need to make more for our own supply. We've also sold about 50 of them to lawyers, a psychologist, and a bookcase full to a seamstress for her patterns and books. They are relatively easy and quick to make (if you have a GOOD box-joint jig), and they'll last until your grandchildren are grandparents.

As far as magazines, Wood, Woodsmith, Shop Notes, and FWW make it into our mailbox every month. For projects, Wood and Woodsmith are the choices; Shop Notes is great for stuff for the shop, and FWW is read for techniques and finishing tips.

Nancy

I made a bunch of these (around twenty)---well, a knockdown Walmart version using 1/4" mdf because of cost considerations. They go in our "library," (aka den, exercise room, etc) so they did not have to look that classy. But they work very well. As Nancy said, you gotta' have as good boxjoint jig and a precise miter gage. I initially tried using the original mitergage and there was too much error. Lotta' box joints on this project! So I got an Incra 1000SE, and had no problems after that.

Art

Al Willits
01-30-2007, 10:40 AM
"""""""""
So what are the best ways you guys store/keep all of those previous editions of magazines?
"""""""""
After ending up with 15+ years of National Dragster in assorted boxes, taking up way to much room, I'm gonna scan the articles I like onto a CD and when the pile of woodworking mags gets to high, give them away.
Figuring its a lot easier to find articles, and keep a few CD's, than a ton of mags
I'm trying a year of a couple at a time, figuring each will have something I can use and after a few years I'll hopefully know which ones work for me.
Am Woodworker and Wood are the two I'm on now, plus whatever I see in the stores, Fine Woodworking is nice, but maybe not for the newbie like me, nice mag though.

Al

Loren Hedahl
01-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Since woodworking doesn't change much over the years (except for the application of some new whiz-bang tool) having immediate access to the latest issue isn't of much advantage. But being able to find a needed past article is. At least for me.

So I don't subscribe, but buy the books from Tauton Press that are compilations of past articles on a given subject. Takes up a lot less space and it's easier to find the article I was thinking about.

Then I do what several others here have already expressed. Go to the bookstore magazine rack occasionally and buy whatever magazine issue I just can't go home without.

Works for me.

Loren

Steve Wargo
01-30-2007, 11:09 AM
I get Fine Woodworking and Woodwork. I really just buy FWW now because I've been buying it for the last 6 years, and feel the need. I do still greatly enjoy reading Woodwork though. I think that it is one of the best written magazines out there, and I like the the strong lean towards the studio furniture maker. I also enjoy the fact that each issue has an interview with a prominent woodworker.

Mark Conde
01-30-2007, 5:38 PM
Ok....I do not subscribe to any of them. But I do purchase the ones that have article that intrest me the most off the shelf.

I catagorize the mags like this:

Wood Mag.-- Good for general interest and easy to moderate project plans. Articles get redundant so after about 24 mos, it all looks the same. This mag seems to cater to newer wood workers and more novice wood workers.

Popular Woodworking--- A definite step up from Wood Mag. Projects range from easy to complex. The editors are very accessible. I can email any one of them and get a response back in under 24 hrs. They seem to cater to moderate to more experienced wood worker. And Chris Swartz (typo) has a wealth of info on hand tools to share with the readers. This is my favorite mag.

Fine Wood Working
This is lofty mag rag. It has a snobbish feel to it IMO. Projects are geared to experienced wood workers. However, I have noticed lately that it is trying to reach a broader range of audience that included novice to moderate woodworkers. It is (was) a high end mag that I think is going down hill.

Then there is all the other mags:
Shopnotes -- good for begining ww that need advise help on setting up ship and building jigs and shop organization.

WoodSmith-- the companion to Shopnotes. Offers project for the moderately experienced ww.

There are others but this should get you on the right track.

Goodluck.

Mark Conde

Pete Brown
01-30-2007, 7:42 PM
However, I have noticed lately that it is trying to reach a broader range of audience that included novice to moderate woodworkers. It is (was) a high end mag that I think is going down hill.

Hi Mark

We went through this with the model railroading magazines. I contend that it isn't so much that the high-end magazine is going downhill, it's that you're getting more experienced and therefore some of the mystery and pixie dust is missing from the high-end projects :)

Pete

Kent Cartwright
01-31-2007, 8:04 AM
Fine Woodworking for inspiration.

Woodsmith for nuts and bolts ideas of how projects go together.

Woodshop News for up-to-date info on the industry, lumber & lumber prices.

Those three I have signed up for. I have found that the other major magazines seem to run the same or related articles right around the same times of each other. Does anyone else seem to find that a bit.....interesting? I wonder if that is due to communication between the magazines, or is it just writers submitting their articles to multiple magazines? As Arsenio Hall used to say, "things that make you go hhhmmmm".

Kent

David Cramer
01-31-2007, 8:17 AM
Finewoodworking, Wood and Popular Woodworking. I personally like all 3, although Wood can definitely get repetitive, even more than most. I still read it though, just looking for that one idea per magazine that justifies the cost (I paid $9 per year and have it till 2011). I also believe that Popular Woodworking has really stepped it up a notch or two in the last couple years.

They all (most) will have tool reviews and those do help a person just entering the woodworking hobby. But they can get redundant once you've had a few years in the bank!

Finewoodworking adjusted to the market and therefore (I believe) netted more subscriptions and bookstore/newstand sales. I still like it and always find something interesting. Definitely a lot of advertising in that magazine, but whatcha gonna do. That's business, even though it is an expensive magazine for sure.

Woodwork is something that I check out a Borders and then maybe buy 1 issue a year. It is inspiring, but currently beyond my level. I might get there some day, but for now I get the issue that has the great interview that interests me and is also peppered with an article or two that looks motivating and actually possible. Just my 2 cents.

Dave

Art Davis
02-01-2007, 6:31 PM
Okay, I have to eat humble pie! I made my earlier remarks on Fine Woodworking as being too advanced for a beginner such as myself based upon reading it some years ago. Several folks mentioned that they have recently made a change and are now more concerned about the beginner/intermediate woodworker. So, in the interest of fair play, I went to the local library today and read a number of articles in several issues. The magazine has changed radically, I think, and is now much more resposive to my own needs. I will probably suscribe-----.

Just wanted to add this p.s. in the event that Luke is still monitoring his original thread, which kinda' went ballistic.

Art

Mark Conde
02-02-2007, 9:40 AM
Hi Mark

We went through this with the model railroading magazines. I contend that it isn't so much that the high-end magazine is going downhill, it's that you're getting more experienced and therefore some of the mystery and pixie dust is missing from the high-end projects :)

Pete

Yep...As I think about your comments, your ar probably right. I still enjoy FW...it just does not have the awe and appeal to me like before. But still fun to read.
Thanks--
Mark

James Tattersall
02-03-2007, 3:20 AM
[quote=Bob Hoffmann] I would just go to the local book store -- Borders, Barnes and Nobel, Books a Million -- are good choices. Then look through the magazines and buy the one that you want to keep and has the articles that fit your skill.quote]

Yes I would agree with that. But I would also suggest building a collection of some of the better books, and then only buying a specific magazine to supplement the book collection if the magazine has an article that fills a significant gap in information.

Bill Weiher
02-03-2007, 8:05 AM
The scanning is a great idea, will probably take some time but never-the-less great way to moderate storage needs, plus, I won't have to scan ALL of the advertising right? :D

Even though this thread may have gone kind of "balistic" (LOL), I think it is great because it is still useful for newbies like me to get information from experience and not have to re-invent the wheel (wasteful). I'm learning all kinds of great things from this thread as well as all over SMC.

Thanks Guys! :)

Paul Douglass
02-03-2007, 12:17 PM
I find that I read less ww magazines now and rely more on ww forums and places like the "woodwisperer" and others on the internet. Don't have to wait for the next mag and than find out you are not interested in what is published and storage is easier on the computer. I only take one wood magazine now (Wood) and may not renew. I do like to be able to lay in bed and read a magazine once in a while. Hard to move the computer to the bed... coarse I could get a laptop..;)

Dave Worsley
02-14-2007, 2:43 PM
Well iam getting a late start on my hobby, 47 years young! But have always wanted too have my owe shop and do alot of things i read that you guys and gals do with wood. I just subscribe to Shopnotes, will give it a try and see how i like it, i picked up a copy of Wood the other day and thought it also was a good Mag, but it seemed like it was full of addvertisement, which i know thats what pays the bills i wanted a Mag with more articals and diagrams and such.

Ted Miller
02-14-2007, 3:38 PM
I have them all, I really like to read tool reviews and I hate to say it but I love tool advertisments. I bookmark all the websites I see while I read them...

Benjimin Young
02-14-2007, 4:04 PM
There seem to be as many opinions on this as there are woodworkers. Maybe some publisher will sponsor Sawmill Creek in exchange for a survey. That ought to be worth a lot to the wood mag industry

My preference
To re-vamp a phrase from this site. I never met a wood mag I didn't like.
Unfortunately on this side of the boarder (Canada) we do not enjoy the same subscription deals that our southern neighbors do, so there is not as much spread between subscription rate and the newsstand. I choose not to subscribe and just browse bookstores wherever there is a good selection. I buy the ones that have articles that interest me. In the end, I think I save a bit over subscriptions but I spend that in the coffee shop ;-).

On my Christmas list I did write down Shop Notes and Fine Wood Working, but none were under the tree. Instead I bought another woodworker's collection which consisted of Canadian Home Workshop, American Woodworker, Some Popular Woodworking and Weekend Woodworking Projects. I have not formed an opinion on which I like most however I agree there is a lot of repetition over the years.
Now I need to build a Magcase for the porcelain reading room

Nancy Laird
02-14-2007, 5:03 PM
I have them all, I really like to read tool reviews and I hate to say it but I love tool advertisments. I bookmark all the websites I see while I read them...

I take it that means that you're into tool porn, Ted? Bookmarking websites like that means that you have "it" bad. Is there rehab for this addiction? :D

Nancy

Robert Wood
02-14-2007, 6:50 PM
I'd suggest "Wood" magazine. Not overly complex projects, plenty of shop tips, and good product reviews. Just my two cents...

Larry Anderson
02-14-2007, 7:14 PM
I subscribe to Wood and Woodsmith. Everytime I get an offer for a free issue I take it, then mark the invoice "cancel" when it arrives.

Charlie Black
02-18-2007, 9:59 PM
American Woodworker is my favorite

russell johansen
02-18-2007, 10:32 PM
I started with shop notes. Has both jigs and projects with a wide variety of info. Best idea though-go to your local library or Barnes and Nobles and look through the mags.

ALso, look for back issues on ebay. great timeless stuff.

Ray Schafer
03-13-2008, 4:41 PM
In many cases, it is no more expensive to buy a subscription than it is to buy 1 or two magazines at a books store. I suggest that you just pick 2 to 4 magazines, find the best one-year deal. At the end of the year, re-subscribe to the one that you enjoyed the most. I would pick Wood, Popular Woodworking, and Woodsmith.

Shawn Honeychurch
03-13-2008, 4:50 PM
Shopnotes is great for those of us whop are new to wood working, it's basically all articles, plans and tips on wood working projects. I have learned more reading shopnotes than any other wood working magazine.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-13-2008, 5:21 PM
Fine Woodworking has a rather nice online subscription fot $30.00 a year and the additional benefit of the online version is that there is a ton of old stuff that you can access that way.

Dan Racette
03-14-2008, 2:16 PM
Doesn't anyone get Woodworker's Journal? I really love reading Ian Kirby

Bart Leetch
03-14-2008, 2:44 PM

I have an old 4 drawer file cabinet. I made a bottomless box 1/2" plywood front & back & 1/4" for the sides with the tops beveled toward the inside. This made a strong file folder hanger. I use the hanging folders with the metal hooks on each end which hook over the beveled top edge of the 1/4" plywood, these hanging file folders will hold a full years worth of magazines. I also put sticky notes on the front of each magazine & write what projects inside I am interested in, as well as putting a list on each folder for quick reference. Yes I am way behind on this project. I also have a divided file on my night stand where the magazines set like books on a shelf.

Narayan Nayar
03-14-2008, 4:02 PM
I'm a bit surprised this hasn't come up (or maybe I missed it), but as far as I'm concerned, Woodworking Magazine is leagues ahead of other publications. No advertising, a real focus on "blended" woodworking (maybe a slight lean towards hand tools, but very slight), craftsmanship, and fundamentals. It's not condescending at all and unlike most of the magazines I used to subscribe to, has content that won't expire in 3 years when the latest and greatest woodworking craze hits the market. Fantastic projects and a real commitment to quality.

I wish all magazines were this good, I really do. In fact I've canceled subscriptions to pretty much all my other periodicals.

They offer a number of publication options--download, CD, book, and subscription. It's run by the inimitable Chris Schwarz and the staff of Popular Woodworking, I suspect mostly as a labor of love. Check the blog, subscription/publication options out. (http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/index.asp)

Jerome Hanby
03-16-2008, 9:16 AM
I always feel like I'm turning up my nose whenever I look at Wood magazine. But funny thing is when I start digging for some kind of project or information, I find a link that sends me to my Dad's pile of Wood Mag back issues... I think I may just give up and try to find one of those cheap Ebay subscriptions.

I do like Shopnotes and have started buying Woodsmith, Most of the others are far enough beyond my current abilities that they are more disheartening than helpful :D

I'd suggest "Wood" magazine. Not overly complex projects, plenty of shop tips, and good product reviews. Just my two cents...

Jake Helmboldt
03-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Luke, if you are still following this I think the suggestion to go to the library or book store and review what is out there is the best idea.

WOOD is a prime example why; some folks love it, but not only do I not like the magazine, their customer service was absolutely horrendous. One of my worst CS experiences ever.

Also, you mention having mostly hand tools. That can mean a lot of things and different mags will be more suitable than others. WOOD rarely has hand tool content, but being new to woodworking I'm guessing your hand tool use will be more along the lines of some basic shop projects and not fine furniture made without electrons flowing. If that is the case then one of the mags that bridges the gap between "woodworking" and DIY type content might be your best bet.

J. Z. Guest
03-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Well Luke, I think the best thing you can subscribe to is Sawmill Creek. It appears you have done it for 2007...

After that, I suggest you go to Borders or Barnes & Noble and read them all.

WOOD is very commercial and has a LOT of ads. They (over)charge for just about everything online. Their plans are good though. After you read it for a while, it seems like the same stuff over and over again. Tool comparisons, reviews, etc. Nothing very advanced. Its mostly geared towards people who want to buy, buy, buy.

Popular Woodworking, I didn't like as much to begin with, but I like them more and more now. More of their stuff online is free, and they have a good mix of projects from beginner to advanced. Their reviews seems more objective and less afraid to deal out criticism.

American Woodworker seems to have less stuff for newbs, but is also good.

ShopNotes is good, if you never want to stop working on your shop. For me, it's a bit too much in that area.

I just subscribed to Woodsmith, which has projects at a variety of levels, but not too much for stark beginners. I love their drawings, which are oftentimes much more useful & specific than photos. I also like to see that they are ad-free, which means I can trust what they say a bit more as being free of bias.

So I say you should subscribe to Popular Woodworking and Woodsmith; that will give you a good variety.

"Gary Brewer"
03-16-2008, 7:31 PM
Luke: Fine Woodworking and Fine Homebuilding. For someone getting started Popular Woodworking is good.

Bob Rufener
03-16-2008, 7:54 PM
Luke, As others have said, there are a number of good magazines out there. Some are better than others.

Don't forget to use your local library. They often subscribe to several woodworking magazines and you can usually take them home for good reading. Every so often, I go to our local library and look through magazines for ideas. I know what they have so I also look up things on line and if I find something, I go and get the magazine. Most libraries will photocopy articles for a niminal fee.

Michael Gibbons
03-17-2008, 7:18 AM
Fine Woodworking and Popular Woodworking. "Nuff said!

Jeffrey Bergstrom
03-17-2008, 11:20 AM
This thread was brought back from the abyss just in time to help my current situation.:)

I just interviewed for a position as a freelance contributor to one of the major magazines mentioned in this thread and I would really like to know how everyone feels about the current offerings. So far I have gathered that there seems to be a consensus that there is a fair amount of redundancy between the publications. What type of new content would be appealing enough to drop your hard earned money on a magazine?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Greg Hines, MD
03-17-2008, 11:33 AM
This thread was brought back from the abyss just in time to help my current situation.:)

I just interviewed for a position as a freelance contributor to one of the major magazines mentioned in this thread and I would really like to know how everyone feels about the current offerings. So far I have gathered that there seems to be a consensus that there is a fair amount of redundancy between the publications. What type of new content would be appealing enough to drop your hard earned money on a magazine?

Thanks in advance for your input.

I think that what appeals to some does not appeal to others, so a mix of simple and complex projects is helpful. For myself, I am still outfitting my garage shop, so jigs and fixtures are always good, as well as innovative products.

A good example of that would be the mortise jig that was featured in the current issue of Woodsmith, which I had not seen before, and was interested in reading about. If I had not already built an alternate jig for my router, I would be interested in it.

One area that seems to be getting a lot of attention from several of the magazines that I subscribe to is various finishes. That is fine, but there is a lot of redundancy in it.

Doc