PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with new Palmgren Lathe

Gilbert Vega
01-28-2007, 4:25 PM
Well, It has taken me over a week to finish the lathe cabinet but it was finally finished today. I mounted the lathe, checked to make sure the spindle lock was off and plugged in. As soon as I plugged it, the lathe started running. I unplugged it and double check to see if the switch was off. It was. Plugged it again and the lathe started and wouldn't shut off. It did make a louder sound as if it was trying to speed up. After a few seconds it tripped. I hooked it up to a bigger (20A) circuit and as soon as I plugged it in it would instantly trip. I can't call Palmgren until tomorrow (I tried) but does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong. Sounds like the motor has a short in it. Thanks.
Gilbert

Steve Schlumpf
01-28-2007, 4:39 PM
Gilbert, couple of questions for you... What kind of electrical experience do you have? Do you have a multimeter? Have a couple of ideas but do not wish to insult your troubleshooting skills.

Do you have access to the back of the on/off switch? Everything you list makes me want to check and make sure that something (electrical connection) isn't bent over and touching the metal case - some where between the on/off switch and the motor. Would suggest check continuity between chassis and hot - with lathe unplugged. I would think that this being a new lathe - something may have gotten bent during shipping.

Andrew Eggleston
01-28-2007, 5:21 PM
I had the same problem when I first turned on my new "Palmgren"/Craftsman lathe. The fix was the following:
1. take the o-ring off the spindle dust cover and remove cover.
2. Check the screws on motor pulley "the one with the cetrifugal switch" and make sure it is secure. Mine was loose and causing the swith to close/open improperly.

That was my situation anyway. Hope this helps.

Gilbert Vega
01-28-2007, 6:05 PM
Steve, I have a multimeter but don't have access to the back of the switch without taking most of the headstock cover off. At this point I would rather talk to Palmgren before I tear into to it too much. What you explained seems very probable.

Andrew, I pulled to dust cover off and checked the centrifugal switch. Both the set screw on the front shaft and the one that holds the switch are already tight. Thanks for the responses.

The lathe may not be working but at least it looks good.:(

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/00lightning/lathe1.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/00lightning/lathe3.jpg

David Walser
01-28-2007, 6:12 PM
That looks like a very nice cabinet/stand for your lathe. One question: Those casters lock, don't they? Lathes that aren't on wheels tend to walk all over the floor when a blank is out of balance. A lathe on wheels -- well, maybe you should be on skates to keep up!

Bobby Perry
01-28-2007, 6:51 PM
Is that mountains I see through that door? What part of Texas you in? We don't anything like that where I live. On the coast close just east of Galveston on that sand bar.:D

That looks just like my lathe except mine is mounted to a couple of 2X8's mounted to the wall. with legs under them.

I have had no problems with the lathe just the operater.:D

Gilbert Vega
01-28-2007, 7:06 PM
The picture shows only two locking casters but I have some more on order. Hopefully the cabinet with the drawers full of tools will minimize the rocking. I have an alternate plan to add some removable "outriggers" that will locate the cabinet to the floor. of course, I have to get the lathe running first.;) As a second option, I do have some roller skates, just in case.

Gilbert Vega
01-28-2007, 7:22 PM
Is that mountains I see through that door? What part of Texas you in? We don't anything like that where I live. On the coast close just east of Galveston on that sand bar.:D

Mountains? Not hardly since I live in Corpus Christi. I'm trying to figure out what made it look like a mountain and the only thing I can figure is the neighbors roof with some oleander bushes in the foreground. Give me a couple of years and I be in the Hill Country north of San Antonio.:)

Neal Addy
01-28-2007, 7:34 PM
The only mountain in my part of Texas is under the lathe.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-28-2007, 7:38 PM
Gilbert.......I lived in Driscoll TX for a couple of years while stationed at Kingsville. Not many mountains in that part of Texas!:)

Gilbert Vega
01-28-2007, 7:59 PM
Ken, just a miles fews south to Driscoll. I see you ended up a "few" miles north of me.

Bernie Weishapl
01-28-2007, 8:12 PM
Gilbert I just stopped at my sisters house to unwind a couple of hours on the way home. Have been out of town. The problem I had with my lathe was the centrifical switch was stuck open all the time. All screws were tight. I called Mark at Palmgren and he told me to plug it in with the front cover off and watch the switch. He said it should be open when it is running and when you shutoff the switch it should close. I called Mark at 800-621-6145 and he overnighted a complete headstock out. I called at 9:00 AM and it showed up at 4:30 pm the next afternoon. Even though I had bought mine thru Sears they still took care of me. I would also look at what Steve S. said. Something may have gotten bent during shipping and would be between the switch and the motor. I would call Mark first thing tomorrow. He and Palmgren will take care of you. My lathe when I got it from Sears brand new didn't even have a model, serial, or lot number sticker on it. The box had been open and retaped shut. Mark was pretty upset and that is when he sent out the new head.

John Chandler
01-28-2007, 8:59 PM
You did a great job on your cabinet. And congrats on your new lathe.

Curt Fuller
01-28-2007, 10:10 PM
I don't know diddely squat about your electrical problem by that sure is a nice looking cabinet it's sitting on!

Gilbert Vega
01-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Thanks, John and Curt. Still need some more work on the inside of the drawers. I am in the process of making some tool separators that will hold each turning tool. Will have a drawer for bowl gouges, spindle gouges, scrapers and hollowing tools. The larger drawers on the bottom will be used to separate chucks, sanding supplies, measurement tools and the rest for other misc uses. Finally getting organized.

John Hart
01-29-2007, 5:32 AM
Great Cabinet!!!! Wow...you sure put me to shame Gilbert. From what I hear, the Palmgren folks are going to be expeditious in their help. Hope you get it resolved quickly and painlessly.

Dale Gregory
01-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Your cabinet puts mine to shame! Great job, true craftsman! I've been thinking about adding the Palmgren to my shop, but I'm beginning to have 2nd thoughts after all the issues being listed on the "Mill". Sorry to hear about your troubles, hopefully Palmgren will get your issue resolved quickly. I've read that they have great customer service. Let us know what you find out.

Dale

Gilbert Vega
01-29-2007, 3:38 PM
I called Mark at 800-621-6145 and he overnighted a complete headstock out.

Bernie, I called Mark this morning and he had me check a few things. I checked to make sure the breaker oints on the switch were set correctly and that all the pulleys on the fan system were okay. He added that the problem could be the capacitors or the motor. he was going to send me the capacitors to replace but after tearing it apart partially I decided I didn't want to go through all the hassle and called him back. He will be air freighting a new headstock after he has it checked out. Apparently I will have to drill the 0 and 90 degree locating hole in the headstock flange. I'm hoping to be turning on it by the weekend.

Bob Opsitos
01-29-2007, 4:42 PM
I am in the process of making some tool separators that will hold each turning tool.

In the cabinet I made to sit between the legs of my delta 46-715 I used hardboard dividers in the drawers; held in place with spring elements made from copper sheeting I had (fairly hard stuff so it's pretty springy). They look like little "M"s with edge of the divider sitting in the valley of the little 'v" part of the "M". Allows me to re-adjust how things fit when I get new tools.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/1-8-06andXmas049.jpg

Now if you've got all the lathe tools you'll ever plan to buy there's no reason to make them adjustable.

:D As if.

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
01-29-2007, 5:03 PM
That should be no big deal drilling the holes. I am glad they are taking care of you Gilbert. It is a bummer but once it gets going you are going to like. Ever since he sent me mine about 5 months ago I have not had one issue with it. My neighbor just bought a brand new Jet 1642. His smoked right out of the box. So he is having to haul his new headstock 3 1/2 hrs to Denver. They will look at it and either fix it or give him a new headstock. So I don't think it makes any difference what machine you buy some will give trouble. I look at customer service first. Glad you got it resolved. Hope to see how she turns this coming weekend.

Gilbert Vega
01-29-2007, 5:06 PM
Nice cabinet on your lathe. My dividers are a simpler than what you did. I just used scrap oak strips with a half circle cut-in. I placed a pad underneath to keep it from rolloing.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k240/00lightning/lathe4.jpg

Bernie, you're right. Customer service IS what counts.

Paul Engle
01-29-2007, 5:15 PM
Gilbert, NICE JOB ON THE CABINET!!!:D if your cab work is any indication of your lathe turning ability ... oooo baby watch out you guys....:eek: . Just no more showing off your flat work ....:eek:. Good luck with the new one and hope to see some more of your wood working skills !!!

Rex Guinn
01-30-2007, 6:54 PM
Gilbert;
What a great looking cabinet! I would love to have one like that, but the only wood working tools I have is the lathe, no bandsaw or tablesaw yet. One question, being on wheels does it make the vibration worse? I made mine from 2x10's and will put sand bags on the bottom shelf.

Gilbert Vega
01-30-2007, 8:36 PM
Gilbert;
One question, being on wheels does it make the vibration worse?

I'll know for sure this weekend when I install the new headstock. I did have my Delta Midi on casters and even when I turned 9.5" diameter blans that were out of shape, the lathe didn't walk around.

One thing to keep in mind is there's a lot of mass in the cabinet. Almost one full sheet of 3/4" MDF for the top, one sheet of 3/4" ply for the carcass, nearly 2 sheet of 1/2" baltic birch for the drawers, 4 chucks and assorted jaws, 20 turning tools, 4 faceplates, the weight of the latheand all the Oak for the unit.

Gilbert Vega
02-08-2007, 12:45 PM
Well, I got the new headstock installed any used for about 3 days. I was turning a hollow form when I heard a loud pop. I thought I had busted the HF. After turning the lathe off, I started checking for damage. I noticed that the side cover, just above the speed control knob was pushed out. I pulled the cover off and found that the run capacitor was blown. the lathe still runs okay. Apparently I must have had a week cap. I'm trying to determine what it does (provide power during volatge surge?) and whether I can use it while I get the new part. Any input?

John Hart
02-08-2007, 1:12 PM
It is a general rule that a missing or defective run capacitor will cause overheating of the motor, so it is unadvisable, from an engineering standpoint, to continue using it. Motor overheating can cause bearing and/or winding damage. I think that if you are considering using the lathe while you wait for the new part, take the extra time to monitor the temperature of the motor often....give it a rest from time to time...cool it down...that sort of thing.

Gilbert Vega
02-08-2007, 1:39 PM
Thanks John. I think I just use my little lathe then.

If I replace the capacitor, does it have to be shorted out before I disconnect so it will not discharge will I'm disconnecting?

Michael Hammers
02-08-2007, 2:05 PM
You do not need to release the load from the capacitor to replace it. Be careful or youll get a shock if you close the connection though.
The capacitor merely stores energy. The Run capacitor gives the motor a "boost" to get going, and the run capcitor gives the motor an extra boost when it is under a load. So if you are running it without the run capacitor you are hurting the motor.
That being said I am no electrician and and you no what they say about free advice:p

John Hart
02-08-2007, 2:05 PM
Never hurts to take the precaution of shorting out a capacitor before it has a chance to bite you. It's blown anyway, so it's probably harmless, but laying a screwdriver across it's terminals only takes a millisecond....and if it welds the screwdriver to the terminal...you know you made the right choice.;)

Jonathon Spafford
02-08-2007, 2:20 PM
Wow.... that IS a beautiful bench for your lathe... I am just finishing making one for my jet mini! You did a great job on that!

Gilbert Vega
02-08-2007, 2:41 PM
Thanks for the advise on swapping out the caps.

Thanks Jonathan. Please post pics of your unit when you finish. I like to get different ideas from peoples cabinets. I did a similar cabinet for my Delta Midi, just much smaller.

Bob Hallowell
02-08-2007, 4:19 PM
Gilbert, I am sorry you have had so many problems with your lathe. Mine has been running like a champ since I got it.

Bob

Bobby Perry
02-08-2007, 4:21 PM
Gilbert, I am sorry you have had so many problems with your lathe. Mine has been running like a champ since I got it.

BobMine too No problems

Gilbert Vega
02-08-2007, 4:32 PM
Mine too No problems
I just knew I should have changed my name to Bob!!;)

Bill Wyko
02-08-2007, 5:11 PM
Very nice cabinet you have there. How long did it take you to build the cabinet?

Gilbert Vega
02-08-2007, 5:51 PM
How long did it take you to build the cabinet?
I took about 7 days to build working a little at a time. I designed it on the fly so it took me a little longer than it should have. I built the top first, then the carcass and finally the drawers.

Jon Shively
02-09-2007, 9:11 AM
Had a problem with my craftsman 15" lathe and took it back to Sears and it had a broken pin in it preventing it from reducing the pulley so it would run at 400rpm. Oh, took it in on a Friday afternoon, the following Monday received a phone call saying it was done. Can't be happier with the service or the lathe.

Gilbert Vega
02-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Had a problem with my craftsman 15" lathe and took it back to Sears and it had a broken pin in it preventing it from reducing the pulley so it would run at 400rpm. Oh, took it in on a Friday afternoon, the following Monday received a phone call saying it was done. Can't be happier with the service or the lathe.

I decided to call Amazon today and talked to customer service and they are going to send me a new lathe, 2 day delivery. Apparently they will send someone to pick the old one up. It's amazing how quickly they agreed to send a replacment.

John Hart
02-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Lemons are inevitable in every form of manufacturing. I'm sure there was a Roles Royce lemon once. What makes the difference is in how the company recognizes and deals with it. This is good to hear Gilbert.

Jim Podsedly
02-10-2007, 7:50 AM
Gilbert,

Could you give me the dimensions for your lathe? Is that the 15" model? (Palmgren 84315 15-Inch Swing by 38-Inch )

Mine is coming but wanted to start on a stand.

Thanks.

Skip Spaulding
02-10-2007, 2:21 PM
Gilbert, Beautiful cabinet, maybe you should just place the whole set up in a prominent place and show it off!! Seems a shame to get it all covered with shavings. Sounds like tech support is on top of things,You'll be back in business in no time. Once again, Beautiful cabinet! Skip

Gilbert Vega
02-10-2007, 4:51 PM
Gilbert,

Could you give me the dimensions for your lathe? Is that the 15" model? (Palmgren 84315 15-Inch Swing by 38-Inch )

Mine is coming but wanted to start on a stand.

Thanks.

The bolt mounting dimensions are approximately 47 1/2" center-line to center-line along it's length and 6 1/4" across it width. The bed it 58" long and the headstock sticks out over the bed for an overall dimension of approximately 69". The headstock is 15" above the bottom of the bed.

The table top I built is 18" x 72" since I wanted some room all the way aroung the lathe. The headstock still overhangs a little and if I was doing it again, I would install it with the tailstock end closer to the edge of the tabletop. If you need any other dimensions, just let me know.

Skip, thanks for the nice comments. I too am hoping that the problems end with the new lathe.

Darrell Feltmate
02-17-2007, 2:48 PM
Mine too No problems
Mine too except for regular maintenance over the past 6 or 7 years.:)