PDA

View Full Version : Question for owners of the M-Power Lathe

Andy Hoyt
01-28-2007, 2:50 PM
I spent yesterday afternoon with a new club member and turner who has just acquired the subject machine. Not a bad little lathe, considering it's limitations and low price point.

Here's our dilemma.

We slapped up a chunk on a faceplate and made a big happy mess. All was good. Then it was time to reverse the mounting and had a dickens of a time getting the faceplate removed from the headstock since the turning process served to tighten the two elements together extremely well.

There's no way to lock the spindle, naturally; but the headstock has two opposing holes that appear as though a spanner wrench would work, and the faceplate has two opposing notches such that a 1 1/4" open end wrench would work there in traditional Tommy Bar fashion.

Trouble is, neither of those tools were supplied with the kit, nor are they indicated in the lathes documentation. And the available toolage at the fellow's house was equally lacking.

Here are the questions.

Did you get wrenches and/or spanners supplied with your M-Power?

I also seem to recall reading somewhere that a thin plastic washer (eg: cut from a butter tub) between the headstock and the mounted item serves well to ease future removal. Is this true?

Thanks.

Cecil Arnold
01-28-2007, 3:07 PM
Can't say about the spanners, etc. but the plastic washer works. One point to remember is that the washer will not allow the work to be as "true" as it would be without.

Gordon Seto
01-28-2007, 3:32 PM
but the headstock has two opposing holes
Andy,
Don't know about the M-Power. The knock-out bar fits those holes on a Jet mini. You just stick the KO bar in one of the holes and lean it against the lathe way, and use the tommy bar on the chuck.

Gordon

John Chandler
01-28-2007, 9:40 PM
I attended my local woodturner's club meeting last week and they had a guy who demonstrated turning a covered dish (bowl with a lid). He mentioned that to keep the chuck from getting too tight that he used a plastic washer. He said he cut his out of a milk jug.

Jason Anders
01-28-2007, 11:45 PM
I second the knock-out bar for holding the headstock spindle, on my little import its "tipped" to fit in those little holes. Then real tight faceplates or chucks and be assisted free with one of those cheap rubber strap wrenches. I've read about the plastic washer trick.. someone even sells them like packard woodworks or craft supplies but think I'll try the plastic lid or milk jug idea.

Bill Boehme
01-29-2007, 2:31 AM
Can't say about the spanners, etc. but the plastic washer works. One point to remember is that the washer will not allow the work to be as "true" as it would be without.

Running true is really not very important unless you will be removing the faceplate and putting it on another lathe to finish the turning. Besides, the amount of out-of-true condition is negligible if you get the plastic from a reasonably flat piece of stock (ie - NOT the bottom of a 2-liter soft drink bottle -- use the side).

Bill

George Tokarev
01-29-2007, 6:47 AM
Clean the mating surfaces of the faceplate and lathe, and secure the chuck or faceplate before applying that jolt of wedging power, and see if you can't do without the washer. Probably can, barring a monstrous catch.

Tommy bars are easy to get with appropriate mild steel rod stock. Not sure I'd do for more, though when one has been hiding in the shavings I have used the shank of a drill rod. Dumb to use hard stuff regularly, I'll bet. Key is to have something to work against, like a nut or lock, though I have used inertia and a sharp tap on occasion.

Channel locks are a an inexpensive option to large wrenches. Grind the teeth.

Andy Hoyt
02-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Thought I'd post an after action report on this one. Had a chance to go back to this fellow's house last night.

Yup. It was indeed the knockout bar. It has a rounded end that fits perfectly in the two holes on the spindle. Sure makes a difference!

Thanks, guys.

Ron Ainge
02-09-2007, 1:10 PM
I use those fake credit cards that you always get in the mail to make the washers with they are flat and very smooth. I thank those credit card companys every time I get a new one becasue I make them and give them away to my buddies for there use also. :D

George Conklin
02-09-2007, 2:43 PM
Hey Ange,
Here's a linky to where I got my washer. I like mine a lot!
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=023-0100

Nathan Camp
02-10-2007, 12:16 AM
Andy,

Looks like your question has been answered already. I've had the same problem. Solution: knock out bar and large cresent wrench.

I really like my little lathe, but the documentation was a bit thin. Came with the knock out bar, faceplate, and two allen wrenches.

Nathan Camp

Shane Sura
02-10-2007, 12:54 AM
I actually called Rockler. I could not figure out a couple of "spare parts" that I could not find a place for. I will give them credit they did not know at first but they really took the time to find the answer's I Was looking for. I had orginally asked what the bar was for and of course they responded that it was the knockout bar. But they did not know if was also used in those slots. After I figured out that the knockout bar could be used for that I passed that info on to them. So far I have not gotten it so tight that the knockout bar and my hand could not release it. Though I have already ended up bending the little nub slightly so please be careful.

Shane