PDA

View Full Version : Grounding Exhaust Hose

Ed Maloney
01-28-2007, 1:55 PM
Hey there folks. I'm putting together (and waiting on delivery for) the pieces for the exhaust of the laser. I purchased the self-grounding clear hose from Penn State. I'll have two segments of the hose of course. One going from a plexiglass window with a plastic blast gate it in, the other end will be at the blower (HF 94029-6VGA). Then the second segment will be from the blower to the laser.

The blast gate says it needs to be grounded, but I assume since the hose is self grounding all I would have to do is make sure some of the wire in the hose is touching the blast gate. I plan to have the blower sit on top of some rubber floor mats so I assume with the wire in the hose touching the blower housing this would be enough for grounding?

Bruce Volden
01-28-2007, 7:09 PM
Ed,

I tend to agree that if the blower housing is incorporated into the hose wire it should suffice (clean unpainted area). I think there is leeway in exhausting laser residue vs. a full blown wood workshop. Some people don't realize the punch static electricity has, I do, I get 'zapped' almost everday at my full time job 'specially in the winters here. Static electricity is powerful enough to blow any computer board in the "area". I see this also happen at work several time a year when I have to replace components :eek: If you have a voltage meter, set it to ohms and check the continuity, if you register something, rest easy as it is grounded.

Bruce