PDA

View Full Version : Drum sander and hobbist?

Al Willits
01-28-2007, 11:02 AM
The Shebeast and I were watching Woodworks last night and David used a drum sander on a piece he was working on, Beasty turns to me and says, "you ought to have one of those".
Well, not being so foolish to pass up a chance to get a new tool AND her blessing I figured maybe I should....well...maybe not.

I did the required search and there are several listed, many out of even my warped sense of what's affordable, and have a question or two, if I may.

Does the narrower ones do a nice job on wider boards if run though several times to get both sides?
Can a middle income hobbyist get by with a cheaper model and will it do well enough to be worth it?
Time not an issue with me btw.

My other option is to get the Rigid oscillating belt/spindle sander and look for a bigger based sander and save my money for items I might need more, like block planes and such.
I have also given used a thought, but there doesn't seem to be many of them around, and unfamiliar with brands to know what's good and not, much less if the unit is in good shape.

I having the feeling this might be one of those nice to have, don't really need things, but not sure...:confused:

Al...who'll have his second cup of coffee and give it some more thought..

Mike Cutler
01-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Al.

I have the Performax 16-32 drum sander. If I was spending your money though, I would start at the General International 25" dual drum sander or equivalent , and go up from there.

You have my absolute guarantee, that not only will it be nice to have, it will become one of your more frequently used machines, and will achieve
"needed status". in your shop. I realize that looking at machines that are $1300.00 and up can be a little unsettling, but they truly are very useful machines. Unfortunately with drum sanders, as with bandsaws, bigger (more powerful) is better.

My Performax has some significant limitations, for what I do, but it's not going anywhere until a bigger one is up and running in it's place.

glenn bradley
01-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Al,
For me this is another one of those big decisions. Primarily due to the cost of a decent unit. Right up front I would love to have a big sander. Now I just have to prioritize. I don't want to go the way I did on my jointer decision. I bought a 6" bench top jointer early on. That was the right decision at the time as I was unsure if this hobby was going to be for me.

Fortunately (or not) I am past that now. I love the hobby and plan to spend the rest of my days doing it in some fashion. My next big tool will be a replacement for the 6" jointer. You're next decision may be just "do I get a large sander next?" or it may be "do I get a large sander next?". Yes, I asked the same question twice.

I can only speak from my viewpoint. I've got my table saw, router table and planer pretty well squared away. A decent jointer is next for me (at least this morning). Make a list of what your fundamental tool requirements are and prioritize them. Now look at the shop and see which one is next. The $1200 - $2000 that a sander will cost can be used for many things. If you've taken care of everything else. . . the sander is up to bat.

P.s. This is only my point of view, based on where I am in my "collecting". Enjoy the journey.

Mark Singer
01-28-2007, 11:36 AM
I had the 16-32 perfrmax....and I have had the General 24" double drum for about 4 years.....it is way more sander...it handles large pieces....turns out deat flat panels if one side is good. The paper is tough to change and I am converting to hook and loop like Woodmaster...a drum sander save a lot of time...and another thing not every wood is easily hand planned...then the drum sander comes in handy...often I take a panel out of the drum sander and lighly scrape or plane the finish....it avoids all the tearout a jack or jointer plane would create... I used it on my recent "Stan's" and Kim Bath cabinet

Carroll Courtney
01-28-2007, 12:19 PM
Al,I to have limitations on what to spend on tools,I to do HVAC work for a school dist.Needless to say,they don't pay much.Do what I do and be patient.Check out the clasif. section here,I have seen several.And check out Craigs list in your area, and the local paper and watch out for the auctions in your area.I have also purchase floor models at a savings at the local Woodcraft.Most of my tools are second hand,but try to buy quality when you can.That way,resale will not be a problem for you.Its taken me a good 15yrs to collect what I wanted to have in my shop.What I have is what I think is quality.Good Luck w/purchase Carroll

Al Willits
01-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks all, I have a York 8" jointer and 15" planner, also a Delta Hybrid TS so I should be good there.
Did show Beasty a couple, and got that "they're kinda spendy aren't they" so maybe patience is the key word here, and I'll wait and see what shows up used or demo models.
Didn't think it was gonna be cheap....:D
Maybe I'll try and make a list of possible ones, does look like anything in that $1000+ range is were I should look.
Thanks again.

Al

John Terefenko
01-28-2007, 12:58 PM
You say hobbiest and for that i would highly recomend the Performax 16/32. I have this sander and would be lost without it. I constantly dimension my own lumber and buy lumber in the rough. Paper is easy to get and place on. Once the sander is et up properly it is easy to use just remembering it is a sander not a planer. Some people like to hog off 1/4" of wood at one pass and wonder why it stalls and loads the paper or tears the paper. Just like any tool if used properly it is going to give you years of great service.

Brad Olson
01-28-2007, 1:01 PM
If you don't plan to use a DS that much I'd look at the performax 10/20.

This will give you 10" one pass or 20" dual pass sanding capability all in a small package.

I have a Delta 18/36. I really like the capacity, but it takes up a lot of space.

If I wouldn't have gotten a killer deal on the Delta, I would have purchased the 10/20

Also realize that a DS is a very specialized tool. It isn't a planer, it really is only for doing finish work on lumber, panels, glueups, raised panel doors and so forth.

glenn bradley
01-28-2007, 1:26 PM
Sounds like you're set on the cornerstone machines so . . . go Al, go. I am only in the 'yeah, someday' stage on big anders so I'll let those with experience guide and benefit from watching.

Anthony Anderson
01-28-2007, 1:52 PM
Al, your wife (I assume) gives you the go ahead on a drum sander:eek:, and you refer to her (affectionately I assume) as "Shebeast" and "Beasty"?! I am scratching my head trying to figure this one out:confused::D. Congrats on the sander go ahead. Regards, Bill

Paul Stroik
01-28-2007, 2:10 PM
Al - I also am a hobbiest ww with a smaller shop. I got the Performax 16/32 a few years back and have no regrets. Cost and shop space was a consideration before I purchased this unit for under $1000 including stand and sand paper. Paper is a little expensive as it is precut but takes only moments to switch grits. I have not tried cutting my own paper yet. Never had a problem with the machine and it handles everything from thin-thick material just fine.

Bruce Page
01-28-2007, 3:12 PM
Al, I have the Delta 18X36. I would love to have a larger/heavier machine like the Woodmaster but my shop is somewhat power limited. The Delta has done a good job for me, I wouldn’t want to be without it. If the Delta were to die for whatever reason, it would be quickly replaced, probably with a larger/heavier machine...:rolleyes:

Lochland Jeffries
01-28-2007, 3:45 PM
Been thinking about one of these for some time, but $'s have me stopped right now. Wonder if a home made one would work, there are several web sites that advertise parts and plans to build your own. Anyone out there built one or seen one in action?

Al Willits
01-28-2007, 3:55 PM
""""""""
Also realize that a DS is a very specialized tool. It isn't a planer, it really is only for doing finish work on lumber, panels, glueups, raised panel doors and so forth.
""""""""""

That's exactly what I want it for, I have the 15" planer for the more serious cutting.
Seems the Perfomax gets mention a lot, seen a couple at Woodcraft and they look nice, considering I haven't a clue...:)
I'll add one to the list and see what happens, seems like a worthwhile tool.

Ya, Shebeast is a term I use with affection, love that woman dearly, but there's the times she gets a bit excitable, that's where the nickname comes from...:D

Al

Robert Boyd
01-28-2007, 4:36 PM
Al,

There is a used tool store off of University and Central(or 78Th) in Fridley, MN
I think the name of it is Tried and true tools anyways they are behind the Perkins Restaurant. I haven't been there in about 8 years since I moved to PA but I do know they are still in business.

Rob

Jim Becker
01-28-2007, 8:52 PM
I'm very happy with my Performax 22-44 Plus. I don't use it "a lot" but it's been very good to me for working slabs and other projects that I need to "flatten" large surfaces after glue-up. Do remember that they are not finish sanders...you will still be using your ROS after runing "whatever" through the drum sander. The open-end format has proven useful to me with the slabs I've run since the are wider or odd shaped.

Joe Mioux
01-28-2007, 8:56 PM
While at Woodcraft this afternoon, one of the salesman made a passing comment about the 22-44 sagging at the end.

Does this happen?

I would love to get the 16-32.

Joe

Jim Becker
01-28-2007, 9:07 PM
Joe, I have not had that issue with mine.

Al Willits
01-28-2007, 9:12 PM
Thanks Robert, I've been told there's one up that way, have to find out where, but I think your close.
Also one out south and have to try there to.

Considering the cost, been giving some thought to picking up the Rigid oscillating/spindle sander as I could use one of them (today in fact) and just take my time looking for a drum sander.

Its just sooooooo hard not to buy anything when Beasty gives the ok, even though I know it'd cost me in the long run...:D
Lots of good suggestions and if you can run a wider board though and then turn it and run it though again, that makes it easier.

Al

Mike Cutler
01-29-2007, 5:13 AM
While at Woodcraft this afternoon, one of the salesman made a passing comment about the 22-44 sagging at the end.

Does this happen?

I would love to get the 16-32.

Joe

Joe the 16-32, and I believe the 22-44 can "sag" at the ends if not set up properly. I have the 16-32, and it's a pretty nice sander in all honesty. It's not the best fit for the type of projects I'm doing now, but that doesn't detract from the overall value of the machine.
It takes a bit to get the 16-32 set up properly, but once it's set. It's set.

Clyde Northrup
02-08-2007, 2:15 PM
Al,
I am also interested in a new sander, but am having a dilemma over the Jet vs. Performax. One constraint is that I have a 220/1ph hookup available. Can the Performax run on a 220v circuit?

Clyde :)

Bob Nelson
02-08-2007, 2:39 PM
Al,

There is a used tool store off of University and Central(or 78Th) in Fridley, MN
I think the name of it is Tried and true tools anyways they are behind the Perkins Restaurant. I haven't been there in about 8 years since I moved to PA but I do know they are still in business.

Rob

Yes they are still there. I go in there to look around when I'm in the neighborhood. They have a real nice selection of new and used machinery (wood and metal).

Paul Wingert
02-08-2007, 3:01 PM
My other option is to get the Rigid oscillating belt/spindle sander and look for a bigger based sander and save my money for items I might need more, like block planes and such.

I have a Delta BOSS sander (similiar to the rigid you mention). It gets used maybe 3 times/year.
The drum sander I have gets used on every project I do. It's a huge time saver. If I could go back in time, I'd buy the big tools in this order:

1. table saw
2. router and table
3. Dust Collector and drum sander.
4. Planer
5. Jointer (I just plane most of my boards without "jointing" them first.) Works good enough for about 90% of the boards, for me, although I know some people are more perfectionist than I.

Al Willits
02-08-2007, 5:28 PM
Makes sense Paul, but the drum sander is a bit more than I can swing right now, to many other things to buy.
I had a $100 in Home depot credit someone traded me for putting a blower motor in his furnace, so I got the Rigid sander, I can use it now on the base's of the storage cabinets I'm building now and it don't take up much room.
Not quite ready to get to brave with my router right now....:)
Big question is 16" or 24", not sure which would work better for me and be cost effective, not sure where my wood working likes will go, but leaning towards basic furniture and inlays.
Thanks for posting

Al.....who's not to sure about any of this insanity being cost effective...:D

Steve Campbell
02-08-2007, 6:24 PM
Al, If you haven't been up to Tried and true tools you owe it to yourself to make a road trip. They have a lot of used tools. They also handle Powermatic, Jet, Delta, General tools new.
It is at 7550 University Ave N.E Just take University north till you get to Osborne Rd. turn left and it is there on your left.
I also have the Ridgid sander. I like it for the spindle sander but the belt part of it is kind of hard to keep tracking right. I do have a couple of other belt sander so I have never spent much time trying to fix it. I am sure you should be able to get it right.

Steve

Al Willits
02-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Gonna have to get up there, went over the stash fund and its gonna have to be used it looks like..and a bit down the road.
Having the "I want every tool I can see" obsession right now and logic tells me to slow down or get a credit card....Beasty says no to the credit card (prob a good thing) so I'll just keep putting money away and looking.
As I'm not going into production, the 16" version should work ok I think, we'll see what turns up.
I had neither a belt sander or spindle sander and that's the main reason I got the rigid, least it gets me started in the right direction.

Jeffrey Schronce
02-08-2007, 11:35 PM
I picked up a Grizzly 16" Dual Drum used for $400 and love it! Limitations include not being able to do a 32" glue up in two passes, but the glue ups that do go through there are perfect with no deflection etc.
Steel City address the sagging on the open ended drum sanders by simply installing a support bracket on the end. A few folks have copied the idea on their older sanders.

Al Willits
02-21-2007, 10:30 AM
It figures that as the stash fund increases the wife would tell me the IRS wants even more money than they got last year and it seems I'm required to donate to the cause.
So it goes to reason that locally on Craig's list a Preformax 16-32 is listed with stand, out feed table and some sandpaper and they say its in like new condition with little time on it.....probably only driven to church on sundays....:)
Anyway they want $750 for it, seems that a little over $200 off from Amazon.
For future reference, was this a good/fair deal?

Al...who understands the minute he buys one, his neighbor will have one free....