PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors - wow!

John Piwaron
01-27-2007, 9:28 PM
My mirror project continues - all the templates are ready.

Today I went to buy the actual glass mirror. It's oval with a 1" beveled edge. Wow, is it expensive. ~$325 for a 3x2 (approximately) mirror. It was reasonable enough until the cost of bevelling it was added. The bevelling alone was well over $200.

I have to wait for the mirror. Just enough time to quit hyperventilating. ;)

What's your experience with mirrors - did you buy or can you cut them yourself? Is the cost lower somewhere other than the Milwaukee area?

Jim Becker
01-27-2007, 10:17 PM
I haven't done the mirror thing yet, but the particular glass I used in four tall cabinet doors in my kitchen cost over $200.

And yes, the beveling will add a chunk of change to the transaction...it's a lot of work. What's most important, however...is the end result. Which if we are to believe you, requires some camera work... ;)

Bruce Page
01-27-2007, 10:32 PM
John, I’ve made a few framed mirrors for gifts. I buy already framed mirrors from local furniture stores and toss the frame. I just design what I’m going to do around the cheaper mirror. The mirrors are 1/3 or less the cost of custom made mirrors.

John Gornall
01-27-2007, 11:13 PM
Most glass suppliers have a series of beveled mirrors in stock sizes - ask about these before starting your project and design to suit if you can. My last mirror project used a 3 foot circle which cost me about 45 bucks. This was a good quality 1/4 inch mirror with a 1.5 inch bevel.

Custom beveling is expensive!

glenn bradley
01-27-2007, 11:18 PM
The LOML's jewelry cabinet has a non-beveled mirror. That design decision immediately followed my discovery that the beveled mirror would cost as much as ALL the raw materials for the piece.

Don Bullock
01-27-2007, 11:24 PM
Most glass suppliers have a series of beveled mirrors in stock sizes - ask about these before starting your project and design to suit if you can. ...

That's what I've done in the past as well. Years ago I built a hall tree with a full length beveled mirror. I found the mirror at Sears, of all places, for far less than anywhere else and I designed the hall tree around that mirror. It worked out great and came in at a fraction of the cost of even buying a beveled mirror at a glass shop.

John Piwaron
01-28-2007, 2:41 PM
I buy already framed mirrors from local furniture stores and toss the frame. I just design what I’m going to do around the cheaper mirror. The mirrors are 1/3 or less the cost of custom made mirrors.

Yeah, great idea! But too late for me - the design is done, the templates are made.

This is an excellent idea for the next time.

Yes, there will be pictures. Eventually.

John Piwaron
01-28-2007, 2:44 PM
The LOML's jewelry cabinet has a non-beveled mirror. That design decision immediately followed my discovery that the beveled mirror would cost as much as ALL the raw materials for the piece.

Even if I'd simply used a custom oval mirror it would have been relatively inexpensive - maybe 85 bucks. It's the beveling that's costing.

I recall from long ago that beveling is the real money when using glass. Too bad I'd forgotten that. Or I might have compromised the design.

Anyway, I'm sure the bevel can only enhance it's appearance.

Bruce Page
01-28-2007, 2:56 PM
Anyway, I'm sure the bevel can only enhance it's appearance.
John, I agree, beveled glass is classy looking. My current project has 18 pieces of custom cut 6¾ X 10” X ¼, clear glass with a 1¼ bevel. I don’t even want to talk about how much that cost me. :o

John Piwaron
01-28-2007, 6:49 PM
John, My current project has 18 pieces of custom cut 6¾ X 10” X ¼, clear glass with a 1¼ bevel. I don’t even want to talk about how much that cost me. :o

Plenty, I'm sure. But if I let price decide everything for me I might be shopping at Walmart and Ikea.

The projects one builds for ones self are supposed to be no compromise as good as it is possible to be done.:)

Mike Wilkins
01-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Any beveled glass can be pricey. The last mirror project was used with a standard off the shelf beveled mirror piece from Michael's, a craft supply chain store. Not sure what is in your area, but you might check with a craft supply store or similar store. Some of the big box stores also have pre-cut glass in stock. Worth a try. Good luck.

John Gornall
01-29-2007, 11:52 AM
I go to a glass wholesale and get 5 mil or thicker high quality mirrors. There is a difference in the look of a cheap import mirror at the borg or a craft store and it will make your project look much better. The cheap ones can have only 3/4 inches of bevel - I like the look of 1 1/2 inches bevel on a thick mirror. I have also tried some of the mirrors with dark glass - about 35% light absorption - makes the wood come forward and the mirror drop back in the visual appearance. Also used a blue tinted mirror once - quite dramatic.

Eric Mims
01-29-2007, 11:59 AM
this vid shows a mirror being beveled if anyone is curious.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngo0P1F8uG8

Dan Mages
01-29-2007, 7:25 PM
Have you checked Home Depot? I think the Borg has a stock beveled oval mirror.

Dan

John Terefenko
01-30-2007, 10:27 PM
These are the type mirrors I make and have thought about the bevel glass but after hearing the price it was way out of line. Would not get the price back. I tried cuting thes shapes myself but found it to be more difficult than it looks so have it done professionally now and pretty resonable too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/CopyofRoundMirror.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/CopyofHeartshapeMirror.jpg

Bruce Page
01-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Those are very nice John.