PDA

View Full Version : Hat Dawg-Modine heater inquiry

John Miliunas
11-25-2003, 11:11 PM
I got the final tally from our insurance guy for homeowner's insurance, including the wood burner in the shop. NOT pretty! So, I'm thinking of going to a Hot Dawg heater from Modine. Our local contractors want an arm & a leg to sell/install one. Frankly, I've got better things to spend all the $$ on, so I'm figuring on doing most of it myself, with the Dawg coming from an online vendor. If any of you guys have installed one of these, I have a couple questions: 1) It specifies you need "B-Vent" pipe. Is this something readily available at the Borgs? 2) I'm planning on venting out the side of the shop. Any specific type of cap I should be looking for? 3) One of the specs I found on it, shows a 1/4" pitch downward from the vent exit to where it comes out. I'm not sure I know if I'm reading this correctly. Does that mean 1/4" for the whole 4 or 5' run or 1/4" *per* foot drop? 4) The specs show the B-Vent to be either 3" or 5". I've been advised by someone to go with the 5". Anybody know this to be advantageous or truly advisable? :cool:

Paul D. May
11-26-2003, 9:46 AM
I got the final tally from our insurance guy for homeowner's insurance, including the wood burner in the shop. NOT pretty! So, I'm thinking of going to a Hot Dawg heater from Modine. Our local contractors want an arm & a leg to sell/install one. Frankly, I've got better things to spend all the $$ on, so I'm figuring on doing most of it myself, with the Dawg coming from an online vendor. If any of you guys have installed one of these, I have a couple questions: 1) It specifies you need "B-Vent" pipe. Is this something readily available at the Borgs? 2) I'm planning on venting out the side of the shop. Any specific type of cap I should be looking for? 3) One of the specs I found on it, shows a 1/4" pitch downward from the vent exit to where it comes out. I'm not sure I know if I'm reading this correctly. Does that mean 1/4" for the whole 4 or 5' run or 1/4" *per* foot drop? 4) The specs show the B-Vent to be either 3" or 5". I've been advised by someone to go with the 5". Anybody know this to be advantageous or truly advisable? :cool:

John,

I just did this last weekend. 5" B-vent pipe, thimble, adapter and cap is sold at Menards (Lowes and HD also should have it). You need a 3" to 5" adapter and a slight pitch downward if you do not have a drain plug or tee. I have a 3' run with 14" ouside the shop. I bought mine from QC Supply for $450 delivered with another $50 or so for the vent. It heats up the shop fast...I like gas heat a lot better than electric do it was a welcome addition.

Any more questions please fire away! Go Packers!

Paul

John Miliunas
11-26-2003, 9:55 AM
John,

I just did this last weekend. 5" B-vent pipe, thimble, adapter and cap is sold at Menards (Lowes and HD also should have it). You need a 3" to 5" adapter and a slight pitch downward if you do not have a drain plug or tee. I have a 3' run with 14" ouside the shop. I bought mine from QC Supply for $450 delivered with another $50 or so for the vent. It heats up the shop fast...I like gas heat a lot better than electric do it was a welcome addition.

Any more questions please fire away! Go Packers!

Paul

Paul,

Muchos gracias, my friend! *EXACTLY* the info I was looking for. I too have checked at the same vendor and I think that's who I'm going with, as well. What kind of service/turnaround time did you get with QC? I had some stuff to pick up at HD today, so guess I'll pickup the B-vent supplies there, too.

Hey, "Go Packers!" is right! Sure do hope they don't spoil my turkey dinner tomorrow! :rolleyes:

BTW, "Somewhere in the Midwest" and still a Packer fan tells me you may reside somewhere in my neck o' the woods. Anymore detail? (You can PM me instead of posting, if you like.)

Thanks again for the SUPER information and a great Thanksgiving Day to
you and yours! :cool:

Paul Downes
11-26-2003, 4:25 PM
John, Just a word of caution on the heater installation. I've heard of a case were the loss due to fire was NOT covered because the installation of the heater was not inspected or installed professionally. As I remember, the cause of the fire was not determined exactly, and it seemed that the lack of an inspection was the excuse to deny the claim. I myself am a do-it-your-selfer on just about everything. This kind of thing drives me to distraction. You might consider a decrete inquiry into the issue. I've been heating my shop/barn with a 2 barrel wood stove. My former insurance man said he would have to cancel my homeowners policy if he saw such a device on my property. He told me that only a certified wood stove and installation would be permissable and it would cost me an additional $80.00 a year in premiums. I wouldn't be supprised if this is somewhat of an industry standard.??? I almost bought a modine heater from farmtek, but decided to wait 'til next year and after I expand the barn. Good luck.

Dave Richards
11-26-2003, 4:26 PM
John, I hope I'm not too late. I bought one a couple of weeks ago from a greenhouse supplier. They were a few dollars more than QC Supply but I think with the shipping it added up to less. Try here: http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/heaters.shtml

I got mine hung and wired on Sunday but a plumber is coming on Tuesday to hook up the gas.

John Miliunas
11-26-2003, 5:17 PM
Paul, Dave... Thanks for the additional info and concern. I plan on hanging, wiring and venting the unit myself, but will have my LP gas supplier do the gas and check it out to be sure all is OK. I did, however, already order the unit through QC. I did check yesterday and, as I recall, w/shipping & handling, it's about a wash between them and Little Greenhouse, plus they have ALL kinds of other neat stuff there, so I figured it's good to get established with another vendor. It should be here by the end of next week, which is good timing. By then, I'll have dwindled my firewood pile down and should be done with the DC system project! Thanks again, all! :cool:

Dave Richards
12-03-2003, 11:49 AM
John, did you get your heater, yet?

I did the electrical on Monday and had the plumber come yesterday to do the gas and venting. I could have done the venting myself but was happy to just have it done.

The thing works like a charm and I expect great things once the insulation gets blown in this afternoon.

Richard Bazemore
12-03-2003, 12:27 PM
John/Paul/Dave -

Which model did you get? Are they power-vented units? I will be getting a ~20k btu propane unit heater for my workshop, and would prefer one with separated combustion (draws outside air for combustion), and one without a standing pilot (an intemittent ignition device such as hot surface ignition) - are these features available? What kind of thermostat do you use with them? Thanx for info ...

Richard

John Miliunas
12-03-2003, 12:54 PM
Grrrrr...Not here, yet! QC did tell me they weren't getting anymore of those units in until this last Monday, but it would ship as soon as they cleared their paperwork. Hopefully, by the weekend, so I have a couple days to work on the install. My woodburner is still cooking, I have a propane "turbo" heater and a 220V heater if all else fails, so I won't get cold! But brrrrrrr...It certainly IS getting chilly outside 'round these parts. Talking snow for later today and the next couple of days, too. :(

I am, however, happy for you in getting yours up and running! I'll bet it's nice to be warm while working in there! Yeah, additional insulation will definitely help. I did pick up a 7-day programable thermostat for mine down at the Borg the other day. I figure I'll throttle it down for when I'm not in there and have it kick in about an hour or so before I get home from work. It'll be nice to not have to mess with the wood and wait for it to catch up! :cool:

Dave Richards
12-03-2003, 1:12 PM
John, I hope it shows up soon. The 7-day thermostat is a great idea.

Richard, I bought the Hot Dawg 45 for my two-car garage. They are power vented although they don't use a separate air supply. They use a glow plug sort of igniter. the ignition sequence appears to be turn on the vent blower--check for gas pressure--turn on glow plug--open gas valve--check for flame--shut off glow plug--turn on main blower.

Installation was easy. It can be mounted as close as 1" from the ceiling. I installed a standard sort of thermostat with an auto-off switch so I can shut the unit off completely from the stat. I also mounted a box with a circuit breaker near the heater so electricity can be shut off and locked out for service. There's a gas shut off valve right outside the unit as well as one at the other end of the gas line at the manifold near the house furnace.

Richard Bazemore
12-03-2003, 5:12 PM
Dave-

Sounds like there's not an issue with shop air, with possible wood dust, entering the combustion chamber and either spoiling the chamber or causing a fire hazard.

I wonder if I need a larger unit than the 30k BTU (24k BTU output) I was thinking of getting? I calculated my requirement to be only 18K BTU output for a 24'x32' vaulted and insulated shop. You have a 45k BTU unit (36k BTU output) for an insulated 2-car garage. Of course, I'm not as far North as you and maybe that's the difference. I'm wondering if the Modine application guide for sizing their unit heaters assumes uninsulated spaces?

Richard

Steven Wilkinson
12-03-2003, 9:49 PM

This is my first post since joining SMC this evening. Your site was recomended by someone I met at another site. I hope I can learn alot here. Anyway, after 20 years of using a propane heater, I have "real" heat. My friend in the HVAC business just installed a hot dawg in my garage. I think its the 45. Its rated for a 2 - 2.5 car garage, although my tiny shop is only a one car. But it sure is nice to turn on the thermostat when you want heat. Good luck with yours, and Stay warm...

John Miliunas
12-03-2003, 10:14 PM
This is my first post since joining SMC this evening. Your site was recommended by someone I met at another site. I hope I can learn alot here.

FIRST of all, WELCOME to the Creek! Whomever led you our was is truly an intelligent and noble person! (OK guys...It WASN'T me!!! :rolleyes: ) Anyhow, come back often and stay long! Good folks, lots to learn and we're always ready to learn from new members, as well!

Yeah, I sure hope it will keep it toasty in there. As I get older, the cold seems to creep up on me sooner and stay longer! A couple replies ago, I stated that I'm still waiting for my HD. Not any more!!!

It was here when I got home! :D Fact is, I coulda' had separate heat in the shop AND the garage because, there wasn't one HD45 waiting for me, but TWO! At first, I thought that maybe QC had screwed up, but it looks as though the delivery people messed up. Believe it or not, another guy from our humble corner of the state had ordered the exact same thing and it somehow got delivered to my place along with my own unit! I asked LOML if she signed for two packages and she informed me that she hadn't signed for *any*! They were just there, outside my shop door. After a quick look, I noted that my phone # was on the box, as well as the # of the other person. I gave him a call and was he ever surprised! He lives about 5 min. away and wasn't expecting his until, at least, Friday, as he had just ordered it on Monday! Well, he came over to pick it up and it turns out his is to heat a small WW shop, too! I found out he's more of a "handyman" type, but still cool to help a fellow WW out! Needless to say, we'll be trading notes in the future.

The other strange thing was, while his package bore the full forty-some-odd dollar S/H charge, mine was only $15-something! Plus my free gift and the catalog I had requested. Cool! :cool: Guess what I'll be working on this weekend?! :D

Dave Richards
12-04-2003, 6:36 AM
Richard, I think there's enough air moving through the heat exchanger tubes when the thing is running that any wood dust that gets in there would be incinerated and the remains would go out through the chimney. In any case, the power vent shouldn't allow any flames going out the wrong way. I guess I'll find out when I start cutting some wood.

John, I'll bet just the thought of having you heater hooked up makes you warm. :) What a great way to meet a neighbor and WWer, too.

I turned my heater on when I got home from work last night. It took about 30 minutes to bump the temp up about 15° (from about 40 to 55). I also turned on the air filtration unit which helps to circulate the air. I worked out there until about 8:00 and then shut the heater off for the night. It's about 46° out there right now and is in the mid 20s outside. Much better spread than I used to get before the attic was insulated.

Good luck with the installation. FWIW, I found a scrap of plywood and cut it to the size of the top of the heater. Then I drilled holes corresponding to the mounting holes in the rails so I could transfer the holes to the ceiling easily. I could probably have used a piece of cardboard. Either way, it's a lot easier than holding the heater up to the ceiling to mark the holes. :D

Paul D. May
12-04-2003, 7:42 AM
Richard, I think there's enough air moving through the heat exchanger tubes when the thing is running that any wood dust that gets in there would be incinerated and the remains would go out through the chimney. In any case, the power vent shouldn't allow any flames going out the wrong way. I guess I'll find out when I start cutting some wood.

John, I'll bet just the thought of having you heater hooked up makes you warm. :) What a great way to meet a neighbor and WWer, too.

I turned my heater on when I got home from work last night. It took about 30 minutes to bump the temp up about 15° (from about 40 to 55). I also turned on the air filtration unit which helps to circulate the air. I worked out there until about 8:00 and then shut the heater off for the night. It's about 46° out there right now and is in the mid 20s outside. Much better spread than I used to get before the attic was insulated.

Good luck with the installation. FWIW, I found a scrap of plywood and cut it to the size of the top of the heater. Then I drilled holes corresponding to the mounting holes in the rails so I could transfer the holes to the ceiling easily. I could probably have used a piece of cardboard. Either way, it's a lot easier than holding the heater up to the ceiling to mark the holes. :D

Dave/John (et al)

Dave...have you noticed a slight hum when there is power to the heater at idle? I am sure it is just the electronics but wanted to be sure yours did it too. I always shut off the main power to the unit (from the panel) when I leave the shop anyway but just want to know your experience. I have the 45K model and it heats from 40-60 in 15 min in my 20 x 20 with a vaulted ceiling. I use a ceiling fan set on low and my air cleaner is on when I run my TS (with the DC as well).

I had a HVAC guy all lined up to come in and hook up the gas. Then he decided he wanted to charge me almost $700 for the service. Sounded like he just wanted to bail on me. These guys want to make $1M off of every job they do! I did the job myself for ~$150 (with the vent pipe). I checked thoroughly for leaks and have 2 shutoffs. One in the shop and one outside the shop.

This is a great unit...I haven't seen others in operation but it sure beats using electric ceramic heaters.

Paul

Dave Richards
12-04-2003, 8:25 AM
Paul, I did notice the hum. I didn't bother to get up there and look but I wonder if it might be the transformer in there. It's mounted directly on the bottom of the compartment where the works are so the hum might be amplified a bit. I just have the switch on the thermostat to shut it off with unless I climb up near the unit and shut off the breaker or go down in the basement and shut it off there.

I considered doing the gas myself. I installed the Wardflex gas line from the basement to the attic of the garage but I couldn't get the fittings for the ends for that stuff. I figured it was safer to pay someone trained to do that. It's the wrong time of the year to burn the house down :P

Paul Kunkel
12-04-2003, 12:12 PM
[QUOTE=Steven Wilkinson]This is my first post since joining SMC this evening. Your site was recomended by someone I met at another site. I hope I can learn alot here.
Welcome Steven, I'm glad you made it here! You can learn alot here from a great bunch. Not that the "Oak" is a bad place, the "Mill" is my favorite! :D