PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Dados in Oak Plywood

Darrin Davis
01-27-2007, 9:25 PM
I recently purchased a dado set that has a negative 12 degree hook on the teeth. After the first pass 3/8" deep across the grain on 3/4" Red Oak plywood I turned the piece over to see the results and was amazed that there was absolutely no splintering on the dado. I have never seen Red Oak plywood cross cut in any way without getting splintering until now. I was wondering if there were any combination blades out there on the market that have a negative hook on their teeth that would eliminate splintering on through cuts across the grain on Red Oak plywood. Up until now I've just used my festool crosscut saw with zero-clearance rail fence to eliminate splintering. Anyone seen a negative hook combo blade? I'm really lazy when it comes to changing to a crosscut blade when it comes time for a crosscut.

Jim Becker
01-27-2007, 10:22 PM
I've never had splintering on the edge of veener plywood with my "regular" general purpose blade, Darrin...once I started using a ZCI in the saw. The grind of the blade does matter when you are working with these materials, however, if you want to get clean edges.

Darrin Davis
01-27-2007, 10:26 PM
I use a ZCI but only have limited success. Is there a difference in the cheap plastic ZCI and the more expensive ones?

josh bjork
01-27-2007, 10:35 PM
It might not splinter going in but won't it splinter coming out? You weren't cutting all the way through!

glenn bradley
01-27-2007, 11:24 PM
I use a ZCI but only have limited success. Is there a difference in the cheap plastic ZCI and the more expensive ones?

I make my own out of baltic birch plywood and they work great. Vastly cheaper too.

glenn bradley
01-27-2007, 11:26 PM
Josh, theoretically, no; as long as your saw is setup correctly and you've had a little practice. I still pick up some now and then if I'm not careful.

Ralph Barhorst
01-28-2007, 12:07 PM
I have a Forrest Woodworker I blade that I use in my Radial Arm Saw. This has a negative hook. The blade was designed for Radial Arm saws but really works great in a table saw. I haven't used it on plywood but I would think that it would work well with it.

Charles McCracken
01-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Darrin,

The HiATB, low hook angle blades that are available today for cutting plywood will give similar results to the dado set that you purchased. A high quality one that is set at the correct height will produce a nearly flawless finish without a zero clearance insert.