PDA

View Full Version : Bed making tips

Jake Helmboldt
01-27-2007, 9:24 PM
Hello all. I'm planning to make a king size bed frame sometime soon (yeah right, I'm still trying to finish the exterior cedar shutters from last year). Anyway, I'd like some input on a few elements:

1. Finish - is shellac too easily damaged or is it ok? What about varnish?

2. Any general rules for dimesions to follow? For instance, how much longer should the bed rails be than the dimensions of the mattress/box spring? I'm thinking 1/2-3/4" to make sure it isn't too snug a fit when placing the mattress in the frame.

3. Dimensions for the rails? How thick and how wide?

4. Leg dimensions - I'm thinking I will do a headboard, but no foot board and the legs will be relatively minimalist. But to be adequate, how thick should they be? Is 8/4 adeuate?

I know about slats, the center brace with a leg for support on a king. Anything else that is key?

Thnanks, Jake

JayStPeter
01-28-2007, 8:08 AM
Jake, I suggest the Taunton book "Beds" by Jeff Miller. He answers a bunch of your questions because a lot of the answers are "it depends". I built a couple beds last year, but not king size.
Personally, my first criteria for a bed frame is that it be solid. I'm sure I overdesigned my beds, but being for kids that's a good thing. Matress thickness also plays a role in dimensions. I went to a bed store and measured a bunch to determine my design criteria.
Working with such large pieces is a challenge. The long 8/4 stock really gives the "home shop" equipment a workout.

Matt Calder
01-28-2007, 11:49 AM
Jake,

I am no expert so take this as opinion. I am just finishing a king sized bed for myself. I made a platform bed. It is as easy a project as you can find. Make a pretty box on the outside and put as much support as you think you require on the inside. The inside is never seen.

Matt

Michael Merrill
01-28-2007, 11:56 AM
I built a King bed from solid maple 6 month ago. Sorry no posted pics to offer right now.

As far as dimensions I was told that the rails in their finished thickness should be at least 4/4-5/4, I used 5/4 and just cleaned it up with minimal planing. Legs I went with a 8/4 plus another 4/4 lamination to get the nice dimension it needs with the 5/4 rails, after planing it is about 11/4 or so.

Hope that helps