PDA

View Full Version : Groz planes

Dave Lehnert
01-27-2007, 7:28 PM
What the word on Groz planes. They say they are a copy of the Records. Are they a good value or more like Harbor Freight?

Scott Rebello
01-28-2007, 12:11 AM
Much more like HF stuff. Never heard anything good. Take your time and look around for some old Stanley Baileys, you can get them cheaper than new Groz or even Stanleys for that matter. Solid, well built. I found several reasonable priced on eBay. If you have flea markets that another good source. Do a little research before you start looking. Several good websites on old Stanley planes. Lots of good info on the Creek also. Just do a search and youll get plenty of info. I try to stay away from cheap tools, especially those that have learning curves. Good luck. Scott

Don Mitchell
01-28-2007, 11:46 AM
I have one of their block planes. It has served me well. It didn't come as finely finshed as say a LN but with a couple of hours of work on the sole to flatten it and on the blade to bring it up to acceptable standards it has been a good using plane.

Brian Gumpper
01-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Don,

I have one of those that could use a tune up. What did you use to flatten the sole?

Don Mitchell
01-28-2007, 1:16 PM
I buy wet dry sandpaper from the auto parts places and with spray adhesive I stick the sandpaper to a chunk of granite counter top. That way I know it is perfectly flat.

Brian Gumpper
01-28-2007, 2:10 PM
That's what I thought. You probably sharpen chisels and plane blades the same way.

You find commercial countertop is flat enough? I was told you needed to use some granite with a special grading for flatness. Don't know, using waterstones.

Don Mitchell
01-28-2007, 2:24 PM
No, I use waterstones for all my sharpening. I like the sandpaper method for the plane soles because I can get a much larger surface to work on.

I've heard and read about the granite that has been certified flat. I'm sure there are some here that would argue the point but I honestly don't see the need for it. In my opinion, the piece of countertop I have is flat and best of all, it was free!

Mark Stutz
01-28-2007, 6:22 PM
The rosewood totes and knobs look good, though.:D Tha'ts about all good I've heard, but no first hand experience. Anybody know if the totes will fit a Stanley?

john mclane
01-28-2007, 6:27 PM
My first plane was a Groz # 5 plane that I got at a woodworking workshop on setting up planes. We spent the afternoon flattening the plate on belt 120 and then 240 sandpaper tightly strpped to the metal plate on a table saw. Make marks on the plate bottom with a magic marker and sand until no marks show. You may needed to file down the plate where the frog or iron goes goes in the base to make sure that is flat and touches the iron tightly. Then adjust the Cap iron by lightly sanding on a flat surface to get a tight fit on the blade iron. About 6 months later after doing these "adjustments", I put a Hock blade in it, adjusted it again, and it works fine. Total cost was about $30 but a lot more hours then with the more expensive planes.

Since then I have bought better planes but still use this Groz on a regular basis.

During the class the instructor had some older planes and a contemporary Stanley and LN plane as well and explained the differences in craftsman between the different models. Well worth the explainations so that when I go to get an older plane or a new one I know what the critical parts are.

Generally it is better to not skip on tools but for those of us starting out some of the cheaper tools can be set up or improved to make into a good workable form.

Dave Lehnert
01-28-2007, 6:44 PM
Thanks!

I have all kinds of Stanley planes. Woodcraft has the Groz #5 on sale for $26.00. Like one of the other post said. If the handles fit a Stanley it would be worth the cost just for that. ,

Brian Gumpper
01-28-2007, 7:08 PM
Thanks!

I have all kinds of Stanley planes. Woodcraft has the Groz #5 on sale for $26.00. Like one of the other post said. If the handles fit a Stanley it would be worth the cost just for that. ,

Good point. I wonder if they make a 4-1/2? I need a handle for one.

Jeff Cybulski
01-28-2007, 7:39 PM
Not that's it's relevent to planes but I have a set of Groz squares that are dead on. After aligning the table saw with them it made quite a difference. Picked them up at Woodcraft for $30.

Jeff

Brian Gumpper
01-28-2007, 7:52 PM
Not to hijack but how do the Groz planes copare to Anant?