PDA

View Full Version : shop windows

Ken Bryant
01-27-2007, 7:09 PM
My shop is a one-time garage, shed-roofed, sturdily but crudely built by the owners a long time ago. I've put windows--professionally built, unprofessionally installed--in some walls. Right now I want to replace four small old shop-built windows along one wall with four bigger windows, for light, for a view of the woods and the sea while I work, and (when open) for more ventilation in summer.

Local window-makers will charge me $2,000 for what I want (four windows, double-paned, each ten square feet). I suspect I can build them for a lot less, but not only do I know nothing about window building, I can't even find a good book.

Any suggestions? Or should I just accept that windows are something it no longer makes sense to build at home?

greg Forster
01-27-2007, 8:59 PM
Ken:
We do adaptive reuse of old buildings and since we are often required to repair exsisting windows (like 5% original left) we graduated to building alot of the replacement windows ourselves. Tools: nothing fancy -router table, table saw, mortiser; portable to go from job to job. One man can build 6-8 pairs of simple sash in a day. Either FWW or FHB just had an article a few months back. Build your own, save a ton of money, faster turn around time and you will be amazed how easy once you get going. Lumber- Doug Fir and choose the tighter grain and straight boards. Any questions, let me know.

Ken Bryant
01-28-2007, 1:30 AM
Many thanks Greg. My tool set will be very different (I'm on the Neanderthal forum for a reason!), but I'm glad to hear it's a reasonable proposition. I'll find that article.

Jim Becker
01-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Perhaps you can find some "used windows" in your area that would do the job. And I hate to say it, but there are stock windows available at the 'borg that might not be your first choice for the house, but could be a reasonable choice for your shop.

Dennis McDonaugh
01-29-2007, 1:23 PM
Does your city have a habitat for humanity resale store? They usually have a lot of mistmatched windows donated by contractors and they sell for pennies on the dollar.