PDA

View Full Version : Maple Curl and Burl

Mike Vickery
01-27-2007, 3:28 PM
A while ago I posted a maple core I took out that had some nice figure on one side. This is the biggest piece of that maple.

None of the pictures of the base turned out and I am to lazy to go take them again.

I am not completely happy with the workmanship on this one but love the figure on the wood.

David Walser
01-27-2007, 3:43 PM
Mike,

That's a very nice bowl. What size is it?

Steve Schlumpf
01-27-2007, 3:58 PM
Beautiful bowl Mike! Great looking wood and a really nice finish.

What is it about your workmanship that you didn't like? I looked the bowl over pretty good and couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Mike Vickery
01-27-2007, 4:20 PM
Dave - The bowl is about 12 inches in diameter.

Steve - There are a couple of small ridges that you cant see but can definately feel. One on the outside and one on the transition on the inside. Plus a tad of tearout that I did not get out, nothing that a normal person would notice but enough that a turner would zero in on pretty quick.

Keith Burns
01-27-2007, 4:55 PM
Mike, this is a very nice bowl. Great form, wood and finish:) :)

Robert McGowen
01-27-2007, 6:17 PM
"nothing that a normal person would notice" :eek:

That makes me feel better about turning wood! :D
I think that it is a great bowl. I was surprised to see how big it was. You must have started out with quite a chunk of wood.

Terry Quiram
01-27-2007, 6:32 PM
Mike thats a real beauty. What finish did you use?

Bernie Weishapl
01-27-2007, 8:25 PM
Mike that is a beauty. Mighty fine job on it. Ditto Terry on the finish?

Kevin McPeek
01-27-2007, 9:15 PM
Looks great Mike. I knew that blank was a nice one. Mere mortals won't notice the "flaws". LOL

John Hart
01-27-2007, 9:21 PM
Excellent bowl Mike. That figure is just awesome.

Neal Addy
01-27-2007, 9:29 PM
That is a beauty, Mike. Gorgeous wood and excellent turning!

Keep 'em coming.

Mike Vickery
01-27-2007, 9:30 PM
Thanks guys.
I actually took the tape measure to it and it is a little smaller than I thought just over 10 inches in diameter and a little over 4 inches tall. Never ask a man how big something is.

The finish is just Watco danish oil applied as the directions say. I let it cure for a couple days and rubbed it out by hand and waxed it. A bowl buff system is pretty high on my wish list but the wish list is pretty big.

Skip Spaulding
01-27-2007, 9:52 PM
Someone will enjoy that beauty for years to come and I bet every time they pick it up they'll say " wow, the guy that turned this did a GREAT job"!

Dario Octaviano
01-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Looks great Mike!

LOL, you are right...some pieces just don't end as big as we hope. A cut here and there tend to shrink them more than we care for. I do believe we are our worst critic...most flaws as we call is usually not noticed by non turners even after I pointed it out to them.

BTW, I will finally have time to use my coring tool this week. Hope I am succesful. Thanks for all the help!!! ;)