PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this picture?

Don Abele
01-27-2007, 1:18 PM
I'm getting ready to start remodeling our kitchen and was reading through a popular books on building kitchen cabinets when I came across this photo.

EDIT: The caption says, "I cut the rabbet for the lipped door on my tablesaw using a shopmade featherboard to keep the door tight to the rip fence."

Anyone notice anything wrong with it, or is it just me? :confused:

If it is wrong, I can't believe it made it to print, let alone stayed in the revised and updated copy as well.

Be well,

Doc

Frank Snyder
01-27-2007, 1:23 PM
I'd hate to see what happened after this guy took the photo...BAM!

I try to keep the fingers on my featherboards out of the blade, not in the blade. Not to mention, what is this guy actually doing?

Marc Casebolt
01-27-2007, 1:35 PM
He's either pulling the door backwards past the blade, or has the feather board backwards on the saw.:eek: I wish him luck... He'll need it.

Marc

Don Abele
01-27-2007, 1:45 PM
I thought he might be pulling it too, but you can see the overarm guard to the left and the fence locking knob by his right hip.

This is most likely a case of a staged photo - POORLY staged. :(

The feather board is backwards and positioned over the blade!!! :eek:

Also, with the battens I can understand why he's cutting the rabbet this way, I just would find another way to do it (and can think of a few right off the top of my head). Something about that lip trapped between the fence and dado blades that I don't like.

Be well,

Doc

Zahid Naqvi
01-27-2007, 1:53 PM
Yup, a staged photo with no attention to details (well more like no attention period).

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-27-2007, 2:12 PM
Nooooo You guys are all wrong.
Norm gets a better finish by running the board backwards.

Jim Becker
01-27-2007, 2:52 PM
Oops! Now you know why I take my pictures in the shop with the camera timer while I'm actually doing the work...things like this don't happen 'cause it wouldn't work! Well...usually... :D

Al Willits
01-27-2007, 4:15 PM
Ah......your not suppose to pull the wood towards you on a TS????
That would explain why all the smoke......:D

Be interesting what their reply would be to this picture.

Al....who's gonna have to go turn his blade around too he thinks...

Mike Heidrick
01-27-2007, 5:06 PM
It is a ceiling mounted saw??

Richard Keller
01-27-2007, 5:27 PM

Tell me .... That is NOT Norm. It sure looks like it though. Can't see him using what looks like a contractor saw.

Richard.

Don Abele
01-27-2007, 6:00 PM
Tell me .... That is NOT Norm.

Richard, it is not Norm.

This photo comes from the book, "Building Traditional Kitchen Cabinets" by Jim Tolpin. Of all the books I bought on building cabinets, this is one of the best, except for this bad example of how to rabbet a door.

Be well,

Doc

Mike Cutler
01-27-2007, 6:08 PM

Last time I did "climb cutting" with a tablesaw was the ninth grade. I recieved for my efforts a swat to the behind with a specially made teak paddle that the teacher was very fond of.( This was in the days of corporal punishment in public schools)
The long sleeved shirt would have earned you the same reward.;)

Alfred Clem
01-27-2007, 11:00 PM
Well, the man is wearing a wedding ring while working around power tools, he has not rolled up his sleeves, and the feather board is in backward and not in the correct position. Otherwise, everything looks OK. Safety? Oh, well, if you want to get technical...:)

Pete Brown
01-27-2007, 11:03 PM
That's a lot of work just to avoid using a router table :P

Karl Knoernschild
01-28-2007, 12:02 AM
I'm not sure I would take woodworking advice from a guy who makes his shopmade featherboard backwards!

Ted Miller
01-28-2007, 1:14 AM
I learned to make downhill cuts form an older guy who used to do finish work and furniture in the late 70s on his shaper. If I ever get a wood that does have tendency to tear out easy I will make a first pass on the table as a downhill, I take off very little on that pass...