PDA

View Full Version : Solid core Door

Marc Prudhomme
01-27-2007, 12:53 PM
Everyone says that a solid core door is a great alternative to a bench top.However I can never find one without raised panels.Do they sell them?

Noah Katz
01-27-2007, 2:28 PM
Thyey had stacks at HD when I neede one years ago.

Frank Chaffee
01-27-2007, 3:53 PM
Marc,
Solid core doors are available either veneered with various woods or covered with masonite and primed for painting. Guess which is cheaper. Also, are you considering covering the bench with a replaceable surface, such as MDF?

Marc Prudhomme
01-27-2007, 5:04 PM
I plan on putting hardwood flooring material on top

Larry Browning
01-27-2007, 8:39 PM
They remodeled the restrooms at work and replaced the solid wodden doors. I salvaged one and it is sitting in my shop awaiting me to make a workbench out of it. However, I am now rethinking this. The other day, another door in the hallway next to the restroom had some sort of a problem and the top veneer separated from teh rest of the door exposing the solid core of the door. It was not wood at all, but rather some sort of very dense white substance. it almost looked like ceramic or something. As it turns out these doors are rated as fire resistant and are not solid wood at all. I have no idea what this door would do to a saw blade, but somehow I think it wouldn't be pretty!

Lou Miller
01-27-2007, 9:35 PM
Marc,

A lot of places call them slab doors. Basically, a luan covering over a particle board core. HD and Lowe's stock them around here. If you can't find them at either ploace around you, try your local lumber yards. I buy them all the time for appartments. I have one that I use as an outfeed table for my table saw. I covered it with hardboard and it works great.

Larry, that white stuff is gypsum.

Marc Prudhomme
01-28-2007, 9:54 AM
screw it, illl go with the laminated MDF

Kelly C. Hanna
01-28-2007, 8:00 PM
Home Depot....$40 some odd dollars gets you a plywood veneer solid core door 36"x80". About the cheapest benchtop there is.