PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 64

Paul Douglass
01-27-2007, 12:08 PM
I'd like to hear about the Powermatic Model 64. Amazon has it on sale for $800. I know it is close to the price of a low-end cabinet saw, but the price is lower enough that if I bought it I could also buy some accessories I'd like to have, like a good Forrest blade, board buddies, nice mobil base, woodhaven miter gauge, etc.

I do wood working as a hobby mostly for my own pleasure.

I have been using the old Craftsman since the early 70's I think it is time to move on.:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
01-27-2007, 2:55 PM
The PM64 is a well-respected contractors' style saw and is one of the very few that is left-tilt. Good machine. But do check out some of the current crop of hybrids as an alternative...such as the Sears "Zip Code" machine. Heavier, cabinet saw design, good accessories, etc., for similar money.

Jake Helmboldt
01-27-2007, 3:13 PM
Paul, while it is tempting to follow the path you are thinking I wouldn't (I did and I regret it). I have a PM 64A and while it isn't a bad saw I think it is overpriced. I forget what I paid, but it was closer to $650 or so, and even at that price I now wish I went for the bigger saw.

PM's customer service is poop from my experience and unless they change (big time) I wont' buy another PM product. When buying my bandsaw I gave them an opportunity to respond to my concerns regarding their CS and wrote them a letter. Didn't hear a peep back, so that was the nail in the coffin for me and I went elsewhere for the BS. A shame too, because I think the new PM 2000 is a nice piece of equipment (from looking at it anyway) and I would've looked at it when I upgrade from the 64A.

As for my saw, it took 3 Accu Fences before I got one that wasn't a crooked piece of junk. The extension wings needed significant shimming (not unusual, but also not indicative of the best QC). The dealer made things right, but the PM CS staff was a joke and poorly trained to boot. They ended up sending me some wrong parts at one point and were totally indifferent to the fact that it took almost a month before I could use my saw (to get a useable fence).

The big thing about going to a full cabinet saw is the trunnion alignment. For that alone the extra couple hundred is worth it. Aligning, and keeping aligned, the table-mounted trunnions on a contractor saw is a royal pain. If you think you will do much bevel cutting this becomes an even bigger consideration because that compounds alignment woes. Also, if you think you will ever be ripping thick stock then the 1.5hp motor will be taxed. Add to that the lousy dust collection on contractor saws and a cabinet looks all the better.

If the 64A was $200 cheaper then it might be a good buy, but it is just another Taiwanese contractor saw. And some have a 2hp motor and are cheaper. If you decide money is an issue then go with one of the $600 saws w/ a 2hp motor. Otherwise go w/ a modest priced 3hp cabinet saw. In the case of the 64A you are paying a premium for the PM name which no longer carries the premium quality or service. For that matter, look at the <gasp> Craftsman hybrid. People seem to love that saw, and while at retail it is overpriced, on sale it can be had for the price of a contractor saw. And you get the benefits of cab mounted trunnions and enclosed dust collection. Still a small motor, but on sale it is cheaper than a cabinet saw and you can pick it up as Sears <cough, hack> and save the $100+ on shipping.

JH

Brad Olson
01-27-2007, 3:36 PM
I bought a 64a used...

As a contractor saw it is top of the heap, and so is the General counterpart (clone?). It is a beefier and smoother running CS than than the $500-600 models.

Would I pay $800 retail?

No, I'd spend $200 more and get a Grizzly cabinet saw or if $800 is a hard limit, get the sears "zip code" saw or the Steel City version (same saw).

Paul Douglass
01-27-2007, 3:44 PM
Well that is why I asked, just deleted all the "stuff" in my cart on Amazon. I'll keep looking and asking.

Thanks for the input.

scott spencer
01-27-2007, 4:24 PM
I think you're doing the right thing Paul. I jumped from a very similar GI 50-185 to a 22124 hybrid that's proven to be a great move for me. Both the GI and PM are great contractor saws, but the design is a dinosaur in comparison to some of the alternative cabinet saws or hybrids.

Buying the PM64 now would be like buying the last of the Oldmobiles that didn't offer power steering, power brakes, and AC. They may not make them like they used to, but some innovations are just plain better.