PDA

View Full Version : A suggestion for a good polyurethane finish

Stephen Hibbs
01-27-2007, 11:26 AM
I used to use some polyurethane sold at Rockler, but I never liked it that much, and it never seemed to give me a good shine, even though it was "high gloss". However, I tried some stuff in my school woodshop that I liked enough to hunt down. It's the Minwax Wipe On Poly High Gloss in the silver can, and I really like it. It gives consistent, glossy coats, and really enhances wood color. I thought I would toss this little piece out there for anyone in a similar predicament. I got it at Home Depot

Paul Engle
01-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Stephan,
I have used Minwax Wipe on Poly ( due to ashma no spraying in the shop)finish for trophy plaques, case, cabinet work ( mostly Oak, walnut) for about 12 or so years and have always gotten the same consistant results on the finish . I like the wipe on as I can control the application , most final coats I use a foam brush and get consistant results ( makes the taxidermist happy as he is pretty picky about his mounts)on plaques, case, cabinet work. I use their finish wax over the urethane on turnings and and kitchen cab after installation is done and I give the home owner a can to maintain the luster.( I doubt they ever use it ).The satin is nice and gives a hand rubed appearance when worked down with steel wool then waxed. Lately I have been cutting the poly 50-50 with paint thinner and applying on the lathe and I like the friction type finish I get also after just 1 coat, but I put 2 or 3 on and it looks pretty good, is fast and can be waxed or not.

Bernie Weishapl
01-27-2007, 12:26 PM
I like both the satin and the gloss. The satin as Paul said gives a nice hand rubbed appearance. Wal-Mart carries it here.