PDA

View Full Version : Make really wide veneer on the bandsaw?

Rob Will
01-27-2007, 1:27 AM
Ok folks, now that I have set up my Moak 36 with a 1-1/4" resaw blade, I want to learn to saw REALLY WIDE veneers.

The blade is a 1.3 tpi hook. So far, it appears that the mechanics of sawing a veneer are going to be easy. Tonight, I took a 1/16" slice from the side of a 12" block of junk wood. The sawing went fine but now I'm wondering about finding wood that will be stable and not curl up when cut into a thin veneer.

Any suggestions as to what sort of wood I should try first?

Any additional tips for attempting to saw a 20"+ wide veneer?

Will my saw need some sort of mist lubrication and where to shop for a mist lube system?

Rob

Adam Grills
01-27-2007, 8:00 AM
Any pieces that I resaw/ plane or any way make the wood thin in any width. I put a scrap board and a 2 foot chunk of rail tie on it to keep it flat. I find that even the best of wood grain and species the thin stuff will twist or curl from my expeience. But not all the time. Cherry is easy to resaw and walnut is quite stable.

I would love to see pictures of the Moak 36 and of your resaw endevour. I have been interested is seeing the cut from one of these old timers. Considering one for myself. How big is the footprint?
Adam

John Fry
01-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Like adam said, I always flat stack the slices with weight immediatly as they come off the saw.

BUT, the biggest problem you may encounter (especially with flat sawn lumber) is the tendency of the main piece of stock to cup before you finish resawing it into veneers. As you get closer to the center of the "host" piece of wood, its "freshly exposed" moisture content is now being exposed to the RH of your shop and can try to adjust and move before you even finish resawing.

I always work quickly and never stop for lunch until I'm finished with each board!

Rob Will
01-27-2007, 8:55 PM
Any pieces that I resaw/ plane or any way make the wood thin in any width. I put a scrap board and a 2 foot chunk of rail tie on it to keep it flat. I find that even the best of wood grain and species the thin stuff will twist or curl from my expeience. But not all the time. Cherry is easy to resaw and walnut is quite stable.

I would love to see pictures of the Moak 36 and of your resaw endevour. I have been interested is seeing the cut from one of these old timers. Considering one for myself. How big is the footprint?
Adam

Adam,
My shop is under construction so there's not much to see. I have temporary power to the Moak but that's about all. The footprint of the base is about 17" x 40" and the overall footprint is about 36" x 63".
If you want to read more about the Moak Super 36 check this out at OWWM: http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/Detail.asp?Tab=Publications&ID=552
My machine is a 720 rpm. Lou has a 600 rpm Moak.

Rob