PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Blade Brands

Ken Zack
02-27-2003, 9:02 AM
I'm anxiously awaiting delivery of a Minimax MM16. This is my first bandsaw. Given my total lack of experience, I am looking for recommendations on manufacturers of bandsaw blades. I've heard that Highland Hardware's woodslicer is a good resaw blade, but I'm getting a carbide resaw blade with the saw. I've also heard Timberwolf are good. I'm looking for a few all purpose type blades in various widths and pitches.

My local Woodcraft is having a sale today. They carry their own brand and Timberwolf.

Could you help me out? I don't know which brands are Forrest-equivalent and which are junk.

Thanks so much.

Ken

Dennis McDonaugh
02-27-2003, 9:13 AM
Ken, The wood slicer is the best blade I've used and the Timberwolfe is a close second. Be advised that woodcraft in San Antonio doesn't carry blades longer than 133" so you probably won't find one to fit your mm16 there.

John Wadsworth
02-27-2003, 9:14 AM
I think you'll find a lot of folks endorsing different blades; in my case, I've stuck to Lenox for my 20" Agazzani saw and am very happy with them.

Caveat: I've only had the saw a couple of months. Before that I had a piece of Asian junk and junk blades. What a difference!

John Renzetti
02-27-2003, 9:52 AM
Bandsaw Blade Brands

Hi Ken, I think the carbide blade you are getting with the MM16 is the Lenox trimaster. Great blade. I recently tried out some 1/2" bi-metal blades from Suffolf Machinery (Timberwolf), they worked fine. Actually anything I've bought from Suffolk has worked out well on my 21" Felder branded bandsaw. A good friend swears by the Woodslicer for resawing.
Take care,
John

Greg Wandless
02-27-2003, 10:57 AM
Ken,

I have been using Suffolk Machinery blades for several years on my homemade 18"bandsaw. I no longer have set for blade drift and I have resawn stock up to 12" with no problems. The people are great there and always very helpful.

Cheers,
greg

Ted Shrader
02-27-2003, 11:43 AM
Ken -

Another vote for the Timberwolf from Suffolk Machinery (http://www.timberwolf1.com/). Great customer service, prompt delivery, superior product. Just tell them what you plan to do, they will give you good recommendations for the blades you need.

Have fun with the new saw when it arrives!
Ted

Steven Wilson
02-27-2003, 11:43 AM
I have the Minmax MM20 and I bought a couple of normal blades with it and a 1" carbide blade. The normal blades were nothing special; cheap, functional, work well but leave a fairly rough cut. The carbide is from Lennox and it is a truly wonderfull blade; I'm considering getting a 1/4" or 3/8" carbide for a normal every day blade. Anyhow, I use to use Timberwolf blades on my Jet 14" and I just received an order from Suffolk (Timberwolf folk's) for my MM20. I chose a 1/4" and 1/2" 6 tpi PC blade as general purpose blades and a 3/8" 3 tpi AS blade for cutting bowl blanks (rough work with wet wood); we'll see how these work out. If they work out fine I'll stick with the Timberwolf, if not I'll consider bimetal or go for another spendy carbide blade.

Dick Parr
02-27-2003, 12:25 PM
Ken,

I have to agree with Ted. When I bought my Grizzly 18" B/S I didn't have a clue as to what blades I needed. After telling them what I planned on doing with the saw, they sent me two blades (1/4" and 3/4") and said that would get me started. It sure did, and I have been using those same two Timberwolf blades for almost a year with the same performance as if they were new. When I was too lazy to change the blade and needed to re-saw something, the 1/4" worked just fine for short runs with minimal blade marks and a consistent thickness.

Good luck with your choice.

Phil Phelps
02-27-2003, 1:07 PM
Ken, I've put more hours on a bandsaw than I care to admit. I once bought a T Wolf blade at a local show. Very dissapointed. Didn't last nearly as long as the Lennox I have made locally here in Dallas. They may make a "super" blade, but I didn't get it. You'll need several blades for different applications. I often wonder how one judges the "mileage" one gets on a blade. I saw many different materials and the bi-metal, 6 tpi, hooked blades are my choice. Less tpi for harder wood and faster cuts. You'll find a favorite in time.

Jim Amundson
02-27-2003, 5:14 PM
Ken, try Suffolk Machine Corp. 1-800-234-7297 for your Timber Wolf blades. Real friendly folks and prices 'way below the stores.
Best blades I've used.

Rik Rickerson
03-01-2003, 12:33 AM
I've have always used Suffolk Machinery blades and have been impressed with the quality of the product and customer support.