PDA

View Full Version : Can you say old iron???

Bart Leetch
01-26-2007, 11:42 PM
Woo Hoo I found out how old my Unisaw is tonight communicating with a guy the rebuilds them & has had several of the 100 series saws. With the the information I was able to provide him he was able to to establish it manufacture to be in 1940. So I have a pre-war Unisaw.

Ken Milhinch
01-27-2007, 3:36 AM
Actually the war started for the rest of us in 1939 Bart, so it is technically a "war time" unisaw. ;)

glenn bradley
01-27-2007, 10:14 AM
Only if the saw is from outside the U.S. :D . Uh-oh, bart's saw has started a political discussion!

John Schreiber
01-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Isn't old stuff cool. Every once in a while, I'll be working away with one of my planes and it settles into me that someone was using this tool 80 years ago. Wow.

I'm really impressed when I hear of people using tools which their grandfather had used. What a connection!

Bart Leetch
01-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Isn't old stuff cool. Every once in a while, I'll be working away with one of my planes and it settles into me that someone was using this tool 80 years ago. Wow.

I'm really impressed when I hear of people using tools which their grandfather had used. What a connection!

I wish this had been my grandfathers saw but it isn't he was a minister which is real good too.

However I do have my Great Grandfathers hand saw which was passed down to my Father who was a builder & cabinet maker. It has a 28" blade & is sharpened as a finish saw & has been sharpened many times the tip end is very narrow. & haven't cleaned the dust out of the medallion in the handle to see the brand yet but I know it isn't a Disston. I don't know just how old it is but Grampa was born in 1888 & I know its several years older than that.